“Unsafe and dirty” 1 of 5 stars

Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #119 of 158 hotels in Tampa
“Unsafe and dirty”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2006

My family and I did not feel safe at this hotel. There were prostitutes visibly walking up and down the sidewalks calling for Johns at all hours of the night. There was a domestic assault in the rooms below us, and I had to call the police. The police never showed up. The room had a urine-like odor and you can only get supplies when housekeeping is open. Our 3 night stay was quickly reduced to a one night stay. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed May 2006
tampahojo4, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Tampa Ybor City, responded to this review, October 21, 2011
Again these incidents happen under different owners, new owners took over the hotel in april
of 2009 and has since been about the business of upgrading the property and rooms along
with adding security camaras which are monitored for the security of our guests also we are continually training our staff as it relate to customer service,so that we can offer our guests the best service and stay possible. we also feel that all negative reviews that were made before april of 2009 should be removed.

91 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Pittsburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2006

Upon entering our room (#120) at the Howard Johnson Motor lodge located at 2520 N 50th St. in Tampa Florida, we noticed a damp musty odor. We contacted the front desk and was told to “air out the room with the A/C”. We put the A/C on and left the room to attend a dinner. We returned at 1:15 AM and were bombarded with a loud buzzing from the room next door (fire alarm).
I tried to call the front desk, but there was no answer. I walked down to the office and informed the front desk of the problem. She said no one answered the phone in the room with the alarm going off and that she had no access to that room. I went back to my room and after another 20 minutes, I called the office again and told the person I would call the fire department. She told me she would send a security person to check out the problem. The alarm was finally quieted at 2:05 AM.
At 4:45 AM I was awoken by loud thumping music and loud talking, screaming etc. The entire floor above us was having a huge party after returning from some event. I called the front desk and was told that security would look into it. It took a full 45 minutes for the music to stop, but the loud talking and screaming persisted for another 40 minutes.
I was able to go back to sleep at 5:30 AM or so, only to be awoken by some very loud speaking hotel maids. They were outside my room, laughing and talking in an exceptionally loud manner. I had to go out and tell them that guests were still sleeping. They moved on.
My traveling partner was also frustrated by a missing hairdryer, 2 missing light bulbs and no phone books. The bathtub had hairs all over it, as though it was not recently cleaned.
I travel a great deal and this hotel stay was a nightmare with poor guest service.
I confronted the desk at checkout and told him of my problems, but he refused to offer any compensation.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
tampahojo4, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Tampa Ybor City, responded to this review, October 27, 2011
again our apologies goes out to the previous guests, however the hotel was under different owners at the time of those incidents ,new owners took over the hotel in april 2009 and
has since been about the business of up grading the property and rooms , adding security
camaras to monitor the property along with the continual traning of the staff ,all to make our guest stay a pleasant one.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2006

I just learned of this site through a friend and wanted to post an experience I had at this motel because it was such an awful one. A friend and I arrived on New Years eve in Tampa and checked into our room. I noticed a smell shortly after entering the room, but could not find the source. Finally I was able to determine that it was coming from near the pillow, and I turned back the sheets and found a large pile of mushy feces in the bed. I normally wouldn't take the time to write a review, but the hotel handled this issue very poorly. We had booked this hotel for 2 nights (this was our first night), and although they did offer to give us a different room, they basically said that we must have pooped in our bed. We had no interest in a new room, as the place was a dump (aside from the feces) and the area seemed quite unsafe. The woman at the desk said that we would be charged for both nights. We did end up getting our second night reimbursed after calling and writing Howard Johnson. I know some won't believe this review, but it did happen, and I'm sure others who have written reviews on this hotel won't find it surprising.

• Stayed December 2002
our apologies go to the previous guests , however the hotel was under different owners at the time of these incidents , new owners took over in april 2009 has since been about the business of upgrading the property and rooms along with continual training of our
housekeeping and front desk staff ,so that all of our guest can enjoy there stay with us.
also we feel that all old negative reviews before april of 2009 should be remove. thank you.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2006

Howard Johnson's 2520 50th in tampa Fl. I dont stay in hotels like this one but We drove 1000 miles to get to tampa. The hotel was rated a choice one but it was dirty and had mold growing on the walls. The floor in the bathroom had not been cleaned and the bath tub did not have a stopper. The staff was not friendly and when asked for stopper I was told to take a shower. The walls had plaster where work might have been done but not finshed and not painted.

tampahojo4, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Tampa Ybor City, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
please know that the hotel was under different owner at the time of these incidents, new
owners took over the hotel in april of 2009 and have been about the business upgrading the
property and rooms ,along with the continual traning all of our staff ,to meet the standards and needs of our guest . we also feel that all negative reviews that happen before april 2009 should be remove . thank you
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2006

Dirty, smelly and scary.

• Stayed January 2006
our apologies go out the previous guests, however at the time of these incidents the hotel was under the control of different owners, new owners took over in april of 2009 and has since
been about the business of renovating the rooms upgrading the property and security system and the continual training of all of our staff so that our guests can have a enjoyable stay .
we also would like to see all negative reviews before april 2009 remove. thank you
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2005

I live in the Carribean Island, I don't know much about the area, in the picture the hotel looks good. at the time I did not know about the web site of Trip Advisor so i booked this Hotel without any review of opinion from others. To start the ceiling have black mold growing meanwhile you sleep, the foul smell of the from desk employees is close or the same as the room. The carpet were discosting, looke like vomit combine with gum. Amazing . Please don't destroy your vacation in this hotel.

tampahojo4, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Tampa Ybor City, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
please know that the hotel was under different owners at the time of these incidents and that
new owners took over the hotel in april of 2009 ,and have since been about the business of
renovating the rooms and upgrading the property along with the continual training of all our
staff so that all of our guest can have a comfortable and pleasant stay. we also feel that all
negative reviews before april 2009 should be removed.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2005

Let's see how to begin...okay, my first night in Tampa for the AOPA conference started at the HoJo on N. 50th Street (booked from the Internet - "how bad can it be, right?"). Wrong.

To start with the road construction is terrible. You will take your life in your hands getting into and out of the parking lot. Part of the hotel lies near I-4 and the jack brakes of the tractor trailers blaaat blaaat blaaat all night long. Moreover, if you are heading into downtown Tampa the following day good luck finding your way back to I-4. Yes, that's right, you can get off on N. 50th but you can't get back on.

This place should be BYOP (bring your own pistol). While waiting to check in the clerk rec'd five calls at the desk - two for dirty linens and three for malfuntioning room phones. In all cases the standard response was "the manager will be back in the morning, you will have to talk to him about a discount." After checking in the guy behind me told the clerk someone knocked on his door and when he opened it, a drunk chick threw a bottle of beer against the door. He wanted housekeeping to clean up the broken glass...she gave him a broom and said housekeeping would be back the following day. There is a security guard on premises - I don't know what they're paying him but it sure isn't enough.

Well, I survived the night managing only a couple hours of sleep and somewhat confident my car would be gone the following morning. My three night reservation turned into a one nighter and I moved to a local joint by the name of Gram's Place. Very cool joint there. Check it out.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
our apologies do go out to the previous guests, however the hotel was under different owners
at the time these incidents occurred, new owners took over in april of 2009 and has since been
about the business of renovating the rooms and upgrading the property and security system
along with the continual retraining of all our staff, so that our guests can experience the
best stay possible. we also feel that all negative reviews before april 2009 should be
removed. thank you

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Tampa Ybor City? Share your experiences!