“Stench Motel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn West of Busch Gardens

Save Saved
You added Days Inn West of Busch Gardens to your Saves list
Days Inn West of Busch Gardens
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2901 E. Busch Blvd/I-275, Tampa, FL 33612 (Formerly Days Inn Busch Garden Maingate)   |
Ranked #132 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
dbri
“Stench Motel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2008

Never Again. I usually never book without a review, but I figured this was for 1 Night only and it was definitely a "Budget Trip" for my daughter's sake. The first thing I noticed was the neighborhood. No ambiance whatsoever! I was concerned that the rental car may get stolen. I reluctantly checked in and dropped off our luggage, and I could smell the mold before openning the door. Ewwwh! I used an expensive bottle of perfume to get rid of the smell. The only plus was an apparent upgrade in the bathroom! The only reason I stayed was we went to Busch Gardens All Day and crashed in the room for 1 night. I made sure we wore our slippers in the room. Even my daughter was willing to go to another hotel. Luckily, our car was still in the parking lot when we awoke! Terrible experience. Please pay $20.00 more for a nicer hotel/Motel. There were many to choose from within 1-2 miles. I wished I did.

• Liked — Updated Shower
  • Disliked — Smell in the room. Needs upgrade.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
561 Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

I made a 2 night reservation this past weekend because of how close it is to Busch Gardens. Me & my husband were watching a movie and a couple cockroaches came out of no where and were crawling on the walls. The sheets made me feel itchy as well. When I called the front desk they offered us an another room but we were so sickened that we decided not to stay there. I highly recommend staying on Fowler instead, it's in a better neighborhood across from USF. We ended up getting a room at the La Quinta on Fowler and had a very nice stay there.

• Disliked — Dirty & cockroaches present
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

The beds were awful, and the rest was even worse. Never again

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Hitchin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

I will never not read reviews first. Booked this as closest to Busch Gardens. All reviews I have read after the event are right. Room stank, bedding was dirty, bathroom floor was filthy and not without a roache or two. Coffee maker didn't work. Also was screaming all night from another room. Do yourself a favour, book somewhere a liitle more expensive.

Stayed February 2008
long island ny
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2007

i booked a one night stay at this motel due to the closeness of busch gardens i always check reviews but for some reason
i didnt check this time. after i booked the room i was horrified
reading all the neg reviews but ive stayed at many places where they were givin bad reviews but i thought were good
check in was easy and the place didnt look bad from the outside
BUT as soon as you open the door the smell was the worst smell you can imagine
actually the room looked decent ,king bed ,decent bathroom
and everything worked.
buy u cant get that smell to go away
i thought after a while i would get used to it but it was too strong
i put some toothpaste under my nose to help with the smell
it worked for a while but couldnt take it any more.
being late 2am we slept in our car the rest of the night woke up
7am took a very fast shower and got the hell out of there

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — the nasty smell
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Palm Coast, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2007

My family and I went to Howl-O-Scream last weekend. We decided to stay here since it is the closest hotel to Busch Gardens. After a long work day and 3 hour drive, We finally arrived. Upon check in I overheard the fornt desk clerk tell 3 people to come see him for towels as none were in their rooms. This can happen I figured, no problem, I just want sleep.

We went to our room, upon opening the door it smelt very damp and musty. I heard a drip coming from the bathroom so I went to investigate, there on the floor were roaches, and the tub was full of water. I drained the tub, ignored the roaches and went to sleep.

The next morning I went to take a shower, only to find the cold water was the only knob that worked. There was hot water at the sink, just not the shower. The shower head was attached with duck tape, the knob to turn the shower on and off didn't work, all the water came out the shower head, no chance for a bath. Again more roaches. We finally were given another room. Upon opening this door, the door latch plate fell off, which meant one good push and the door would open not a good thing for that part of town. On to room number 3, this one smelt the worst, at least the tub worked and the door jamb wasn't broken, and I didn't see bugs. I did however notice long dark hairs on my pillows and sheets I can brush these off, but I will sleep in my clothes. We decide to keep this room and enjoy what we could of the weekend. Atleast it has no bugs yet and the shower works.
After a nice hot shower I started to used the hair dryer, it sparked and started to smoke.

On a good note, my girlfriend forgot a piece of luggage when we left. When we got it back, everything was there.

This was by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I will NEVER do it again.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Everything in between
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2007

I found this hotel using a coupon book from the interstate rest stop, so got it for $39.99...not worth any more than that. The room was OK for the price. The onsite Dennys with 20% off was OK....nice change from standard continental breakfast, but with family of 4, take that extra money and go to a nicer hotel with free breakfast. They are correct that they are across the street from Busch Gardens, but if you try to walk to the front gate, you'll be tired...just stay somewhere else and pay the $9 parking.

• 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Days Inn West of Busch Gardens? Share your experiences!