“Worst BW Ever!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #75 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Atenas, Costa Rica
“Worst BW Ever!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I needed an inexpensive room for a one night pre cruise stay. I figured "how bad can it be". BW are usually so dependable, 2-3 star. This one was a 1 star. I had reserved a two bed smoking room and they gave me a king non smoking. (Ultimately, they brought a rollaway for my adult son). I am disabled and the room was on the second floor and far from the elevator. I returned to the desk and asked for another room and was told they were full. I find it hard to believe they were already full at 4pm. They did suggest that I could hobble my way down two flights of stairs to smoke by the pool. When my son arrived later that evening, they told him that I was a troublemaker. (!!)

The room itself had an awful smell, and the window was sealed shut. The bed was akin to a rock, I got very little sleep.The TV did not work and when I reported it at checkout, I didn't even get a response. The desk clerk did thank me for staying at BW and called me by someone else's name, even though he had my paperwork in his hand..

The rate was $66 per night, I should have just spent $30. more and stayed at the Hyatt Regency closer to the pier with a complimentary shuttle. Live and learn.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

the WiFi throughout the hotel is spotty at times. rooms could use a make over and a better tv selection would be nice. pool area is small but nice. free breakfeast is very good. location of property is convient. front desk staff helpful (specifically girl named monica).

• Stayed December 2012
Takoma Park, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Clean, quiet, nice serve-yourself breakfast. Friendly, competent, and very helpful staff. Beds hard but ok. Excellent value and easy drive to airport, downtown, major highways. Short walk to restaurants, drugstore. Hallways smelly (that's how west Florida always smells to me, inside and out, like moldy sulfur) but room smelled fresh and was very clean. TV good but few stations. It isn't a restort but a very good place to sleep, shower, and have breakfast. Would definitely stay there again if I ever have to go back to Tampa.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed here the night before we went on a cruise. It was probably the worst Best Western we've ever stayed in - normally we have a great experience. This hotel smells bad. You feel like you're breathing stagnat polluted air the whole time. The windows don't open, so I don't think the place has seen any fresh air in years. On the other hand, it was affordable, had a decent continental breakfast and served our needs. I did think the hotel offered either a shuttle service to the airport or to the ship (I thought I read that before I booked), but they don't offer either. I would not have wanted to stay more than 1 night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Nice hotel as whole chain of Best Western, the rooms are very big and comfortable, but the hotel is old, a little smelly hotel, but is the oldest outdoor, nothing bad.. good breakfast and customer service... good value

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Recife, PE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Great location, helpful staff who gave me many tips on good places to eat and meet, like St. Petersburg, free shuttle to Busch Gardens. A CVS down the street for emergency purchases. Small rooms, but very comfortable with a clean bathroom. Room service is quick and attended the expectation, an excellent surprise.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Washington, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I won this Best Western as a two star bid for one night on Priceline, so I was a little uncertain as to what to expect. I flew into Tampa and drove to the hotel where I had breakfast. After breakfast I requested two towels to use at the beach, as I was going to St. Pete's and Clearwater for the day. I had no difficulty getting the towels, which made a great difference as I had no towels and did not want to buy some just for one day. I spent the day at the beach and attended the Tampa Bay Rays baseball game. I checked into the hotel after 11pm and was assigned a room with two beds. The room was clean and had a microwave and fridge. In the morning, I had breakfast, which consisted of cereal, breads, bagels and a waffle machine, among other things. For my one night stay and the price I paid, I was more than happy with the Best Western on Dale Mabry.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to BEST WESTERN Tampa? Share your experiences!