“Meets Expectations” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #77 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Tampa, Florida
“Meets Expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

This hotel is next to a noisy, busy highway, and was hard to make a left turn into from the interstate, but not impossible. It's even hard to make a right turn into, just because of the speed of the drivers piling up behind you as you slow down to turn. There's only one entrance/exit to and from the parking lot, and it's hard to distinguish from the entrance to IHOP's parking lot next door, so take the risk of upsetting a few drivers behind you and slow down to be sure. It took about 10 minutes to make a left turn out of the parking lot yesterday, around 7 pm, so I can only imagine what it's like during rush hour.

Surprisingly, however, my hotel room is very quiet and comfortable, with the exception of the air conditioning unit, which is rather noisy, even by hotel standards.

Yesterday when I arrived in my room, a little after 5 pm, the bed was only half made. The pillows didn't have cases on them--the clean cases were piled on a night stand next to the bed. There's a bent wire hangar hanging from a painting next to the "work desk" (a table). The hall smells of cigarette smoke and mold, despite the fact that the 3rd floor is supposed to be non smoking.

The fridge is large, with a separate freezer compartment that works quite well, and the microwave is a Magic Chef, with a turn table inside. This, I like.

The bed is moderately comfortable--not a mattress I'd care to own at home, but I didn't wake up with back pain, either. The television is outdated. There's a few rust stains in the bathroom, but it's clean, save a few long, dark hairs that were on the floor yesterday.

The breakfast was...about what I expected. Make your own waffles, cold hard boiled eggs, bagels, danishes, but nothing particularly hot or filling. The IHOP next door gives a 10% discount to Best Western guests, however--all you have to do is show them your room key. I believe I'll be going there tomorrow for breakfast instead. It's worth it to have something hot to eat in the morning.

There is a large fitness center on the third floor, that I haven't seen being used yet. They keep fresh towels in there and the equipment looks to be in good condition.

Really, I completely agree with an earlier reviewer that said "you get what you pay for." This is neither the best, nor the worst Best Western in which I've stayed, but I would stay here again if here on business, as it gives me no particular complaints.

Room Tip: Get a room facing away from the highway.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

172 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011 via mobile

Only stayed one night, but the front desk staff were all very nice. The hotel is conveniently located to many restaurants and when we asked what was close by, we were handed a pamphlet with locations and coupons. Worked out great. Room was clean and pretty big. Continental breakfast was also nice with hot and cold foods such as waffles, bagels, fruits and cereals. Overall not bad for the price, would recommend for a short stay.

• Stayed July 2011
Auburn, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

Overall I think that this is a nice hotel, and certainly one of the better Best Westerns I've ever stayed in. My room was fairly quiet and comfortable, and the staff was really nice. You also can't beat the location of the hotel--super close to Hyde Park and downtown.

My one and only complaint is that as I was peeling my comforter off the bed I noticed massive stains on the underside that looked brown, like dried blood or worse. That didn't really bother me as I've learned over the years never to sleep with the hotel comforter. If you're the kind of person who would be offended enough by something like that to want to switch rooms or hotels, then Best Western is probably not the hotel for you. But if you're like me, and can throw the comforter in the corner and forget it, go ahead--can't beat the location or the price.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

This hotel was incredibly good value for money. We hadn't booked the hotel and turned up late in the afternoon to be surprised at what an amazing rate for a room we were able to get. The rooms are nice, clean and spacious. Breakfast was also included in the price. The bed was huge(!) which enabled us to get a good nights sleep after a long day's driving. The hotel also has an outside pool to take a dip in to cool off and relax. The chap on the front desk was helpful and able to recommend a couple of places to go for food and drinks. For the money we paid, I couldn't have asked for more.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Gloucester, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

We first stayed at this hotel for two nights and had a pleasant experience. Nice daytime front desk staff, clean, reasonable room, no problems! Upon checking out we reserved for an additional night, since we planned a road trip to Key West and were returning to Tampa ten days later to fly home. We received a confirmation # (my husband asked for it) and also were told we did not need to give a CC#, since everything was on file. We believed it. On our drive back to Tampa from Key West we realized that we would be getting in at about 10 pm, so we called from the road to notify the hotel of our late arrival. Best decision ever, because there was no room reserved for us and we were told the hotel was full. After much discussion and citing our conf. #, the clerk assured us he would call back with a solution. He did not, but we did. No solution yet, he would call back. Again, no call, so we called for the third time. Now he had a room, same price as the one we reserved, with jaccuzzi. Great, we were pleased, gave our CC info over the phone for payment and got a new confirmation #. Arrived at the hotel, rude clerk, very unprofessional, not the one we dealt with on the phone, although it is a tiny reception area and there is NO WAY this guy did not overhear his collegue's conversation with us. "Hotel is full". Yes, but we just called less than an hour ago and paid for a room with jaccuzzi, here is the conf. #. No clue, no room. I asked him to please call the other employee for assistance. No, he was told not to call and would not call until the morning. Having just come off the road after driving for 10 hours, my husband and I insisted that he call NOW. He said he would only call if people were nice to him. EXCUSE ME??? He finally called and left a message for somebody in Spanish. No call back. Well after midnight and following my threat that I would notify the police since we paid for a room we are not getting, he somehow found the reserved room, no apology, no explanation. Terrible end to our otherwise great honeymoon, we would not stay there again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

I stayed at this hotel many years ago and remembered it as a good value overall. It is a very good location but the hotel is run down, the room was drab and dreary. I chose it also because the price was right. But next time I will pay the added price to stay somewhere nicer.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Stamford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

Though I stayed only for two days when I was on my business trip to Tampa , this Tampa hotel was a good bargain for money and service quality was good. I may not stay here for family vacation but yes, I will not hesitate to stay here for my business trips to Tampa.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Been to BEST WESTERN Tampa? Share your experiences!