Gram's place is one of the most unique places I've ever stayed- it just has this incredible hippy vibe to it and it is so rock 'n roll it hurts. Most of the guests were actually old hippies and the owner and his mate are very friendly if a tad unusual and a bit pervy at times (encouraging me to talk my pretty Swiss friend into getting into the hot tub and they say they have a 'European' attitude to nudity in the pool- if I was a girl I'd feel very uncomfortable about getting my clothes off in front of them!). Nonetheless the quirky vibe of the place warrants a stay here and they are good hearted people at the end of the day. They had a sometimes annoying habit of calling me 'English' for my entire stay- I don't even know if they remembered my real name but whatever, it's all good!
Facilities- I stayed in the dorm that looks like a train carriage (apparently). The beds are tiny and chances are you will be sharing with bugs- bedbugs, roaches, spiders etc, especially if you are on the bottom bunk which is actually on the floor. Bathrooms are ok I guess- they have outdoor showers too and the other rooms seemed really nice too with lots of random musical instruments lying around that you can have a go at. Certainly not a 5* hotel but you won't care really. They have a jacuzzi tub (if you can pursuade Bruce to fork out for the electicity to turn it on!) and they have beers available, sometimes they have live bands playing. The kitchen is adequate.
Negatives- you may feel uncomfortable if you are a young, attractive single girl, not that the owners are untrustworthy in any way but you may have reservations about walking around in a bikini for example. The place isn't the cleanest- you probably will be bitten by something during your stay and, though they advertise a jacuzzi, they never turn it on unless you ask them very nicely and are a group of about 4 or more people. The area is very sketchy- it is practially the ghetto and it is not safe to walk anywhere nearby on your own. It is miles away from the happening area of town but Bruce knows a taxi driver who will take you there for a reasonable price and pick you up.
To summaries- great vibe, great atmosphere that is 95% of the appeal of staying here- the other 5% being the good company and fun, easy going owners because the rooms aren't really up to much and they certainly aren't cheap. Stay here for a unique experience, meet cool people, watch a band then get the hell out of Tampa because it is a dump with absolutely nothing else to do when it isn't Gasparilla fest.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your Gram's Place BnB GuestHouses\Hostel and Music reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gram`s Place Bnb Guesthouseshostel And Music Hotel Tampa