“Please take the time to read my review - sorry it it long but has useful information.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Aloft Tampa Downtown

Cyber Monday Exclusive
Ranked #90 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

My husband and I were very excited to be staying here. We have a child at UT and finding the right hotel for visits has been difficult. First, this hotel was not ready to open in my opinion. I really wanted to love this hotel. I was very excited that it was new. Our stay was totally the opposite.

First the good: Clean, nice bathroom products, comfortable bed, nice location if you are staying downtown, Valet personnel was extremely nice but ruined it by not telling the whole truth to customers, and very close to UT.

The bad:

The staff is not trained properly and do not know what the hotel does and does not offer.

They DO NOT have an accessible room with a shower and tub. Or maybe they do, no one could figure this out. I had to stay in a standard room and needed the assistance of my husband to use the bathroom. This is unacceptable to anyone who is disabled.

They do not "stock" the room as in extra towels, toilet paper etc. You need to call the front desk. On that note, no one wears a name tag and they want you to "personally get to know the staff and the staff to get to know you". Hey I get them getting to know me, but since they change shifts so often it is not our job to get to know them. We only had 1/2 roll of toilet paper in the room, so yes, this was a problem. Once we used the coffee and creamer it was not replaced. We had to call for both and in the case of the creamer by the time we received it the coffee was cold. This leads to:

No information book in the room. The hotel wants you to call for everything and ask questions about everything. This got old FAST!!!

Room service knocked on our door at 8:30am. Yes I didn't put up the do not disturb, but 8:30?

It is almost impossible to not use Valet parking. This is fine, $20.00 per day and we were told our car would be underneath the hotel for us to use at any time. We were moving our son so we were in and out A LOT. On Saturday night, the bar is very busy. When we went to get something from our car we were told our car was moved to a lot about 20 minutes away to accommodate the visitors in the bar area. I did not give them permission to move my car, nor did they ask. I also do not know if the other lot is even secure. This is totally unacceptable.

Because we could not get to our car which had our snacks I had the only other choice to purchase two bags of chips from their store/breakfast area. $7.00 for two bags. To make matters worse, they added the charge onto the valet parking line and charged tax on it.

The pool is not on the roof but on the floor with the check-in next to the bar. Do not expect to have a nice calming swim in the evening. The whole bar is right there looking at you!!!

I know there was more, but this is long and I apologize. I do hope that in a few months they are able to at least get the staff trained. I will most likely stay one more time to see if any of the problems are corrected and then will report back.

Room Tip: If you need an accessible room, ask for management and then confirm at least one more time. Rooms ar...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
crystalrivera, Director of Sales at Aloft Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Aloha tyedye66!
First and foremost, congrats to your son on his upcoming college adventure at UT! In regards to your review, we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. It saddens us to know that your stay was not as enjoyable as we know it could have been. As you know, we literally just opened a couple weeks ago and are working out our kinks...although that is no excuse.Please know we have addressed several of the items which you mentioned in your email to the management team and they in turn are working with their team to ensure this does not occur with another guest. We would also like to inform you that we do have rooms that are accessible with tubs and showers. We apologize that this was not correctly communicated but have since informed the team of all the accessible rooms in the building. We are sure you will be in Tampa often visiting your son and welcome you to stay with us again as we are sure you would enjoy the hotel the second time around.

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

I came for one night on a spontaneous trip. My plans where to enjoy Tampa after I checked in and the next day head over to Ana Maria Island. I called in the night before to make sure my reservation was showing and to get more information about the hotel. The girl that picked up sounded like she was annoyed that she had to answer the phone. She placed me on hold for 7 minutes when I decided to hang up and call back. I called back and spoke with a man. He was pleasant Upon check in, the gentleman at the valet was very friendly and courteous. He helped a bit with my bags and welcomed me to the hotel. When I got to the check in desk, the girl said a cold welcome and asked for my last name. I tried to make her laugh a bit (maybe she was having a bad two days) but she didn't even crack a smile. Even though she wasn't saying anything rude, I felt she was being rude (LIKE COME ON, YOU WORK IN THE HOSPITALITY BUSINESS!!) She placed my keys on the counter, told me the Wifi passworld (which was very nice of her) and said the elevator is to the left. That was it. I had so many questions about the hotel and suggestions on where to eat but I didn't even bother. It was disappointing and sad. I am comparing the check in to other Starwood hotels, like the Westins' and Sheratons', I am sorry but they set the bar high for me so I expected the same at this hotel. The rooms are very small but I am sure that's just the theme of the room. The room was clean and comfortable. The walls are thin so I heard the couple next door have a "pillow fight". I had to step out. The river view was sweet. At check out, it was a different girl but same level of service. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anybody that I love. The rating for this hotel on TripAdvisor is overrated.

Room Tip: Just don't stay.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Aloha Roslyn!
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback to us. Please know we have passed on your concerns to the management staff as they will be sure to address them with their team. We would like to express that what you experienced is not the norm for our hotel as we typically get ravs and compliments about our staff and their customer service. We hope that you would stay with us again and experience the true Aloft that we are.
F. Lauderdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

This is the third time I've stayed at an aLoft property and I really enjoyed it. I was in town for a conference and stayed here only one night. The front desk staff was very friendly and attentive and the property (being brand new) was in beautiful condition. The lobby and bar are modern and welcoming with a pool table, magazines, and great music. One thing I found refreshing was this property didn't seem to have many of the "growing pains" usually experienced during the first few weeeks of opening, and if they did, as a guest I couldn't tell. The room it's self was spacious and the bed was amazing. I didn't want to get out of bed in the morning! The bathroom was very large and the blinds in the room were electric, that was cool! The pool area at this hotel is truly beautiful right in the middle of downtown, the furniture is chic and WXYZ bar makes great cocktails. Overall, friendly staff, clean accommodations, and great location. I'd reccomend it!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Aloha HotelInsider!
We are delighted to hear that your stay was amazing! We also appreciate you pointing out how our hotel for being so new was not going thru many growing pains as most new hotels. We also love that you enjoyed the whole layout of the hotel from the bar, lounge area, pool deck to the rooms. We are extremely proud to say that we are very different than your typical cookie cutter hotel...which totally works in our favor. Thanks for being a loyal Aloft guest!
Shalimar, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

Staying at a newly opened hotel always has some risk, but not in this case.
The hotel is pristine, as you'd expect but the staff are very efficient and welcoming, and everything just works.
It's very centrally located within the down town area. All parking is valet, which works fast and well.
Rooms are modern and ideal for a business stay with all amenities you would want and expect.
Wifi is free and seems to work well.
The bar area is comfortable and the service is fast and friendly.
I can't fault the hotel in any way and am particularly impressed to see its polished performance after only two weeks.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Aloha Martino52!
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that your stay with us was amazing. As you stated, we offer free wifi - which by the way, is the fastest in Downtown. In fact, within a year, we'll be one of the first hotels where you can bypass the front desk and get into your room via your cell phone. Thanks again for the feedback and we hope to see you again soon!
Tampa, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

OK, so I will admit to having a fair amount of grey hair and not fitting the millennial demographic that Aloft seems to favor. We stopped in for a glass of wine. Can you imagine, wine being served in plastic glasses? In addition, red wine being served in a plastic glass that is not large enough to give it a good swirl? Finally, the wine by the glass selection was anemic...a half dozen choices of white and red...and nothing particularly noteworthy. We've not stayed at the hotel, but they are proud of the fact that the entire large lobby area is a super-sized bar, with a plastic and chrome décor. Looks like an ideal place for millennials to gather after work, as long as they don't mind poor wine selection in plastic wine glasses.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
crystalrivera, Director of Sales at Aloft Tampa Downtown, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Aloha EdfromTampa! First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to submit a review on our hotel. We appreciate your feedback regarding our wine list and will be sure to look into this further. Please know, since being open we haven't had much complain on our wine list which we carefully hand selected. Regarding serving the wine in plastic cups, due to safety reasons, we do serve wine in plastic cups when outside on the pool deck. If by chance a glass were to break by the pool, someone could possibly get hurt. Thankfully, the lounge has tons of amazing views where if drinking wine in a glass is a must, you can always sip and chill there. Once again, thanks for the feedback and talk to you soon!
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I recently stayed at this new hotel for two nights.

Great view! This is a new, chic hotel and my first time at the Aloft Brand hotel.

We enjoyed the rooms, the views from the bar, gym and pool, and found the staff to be nice.

Bar was lively and we enjoyed it.

Hotel is located right downtown (near University of Tampa & some nice restaurants) and i was able to walk around at night.

Very impressed and will be back!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the river!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Hello Travel20202014! Thanks for the amazing feedback. As you stated, our hotel is conveniently located near the University of Tampa, restaurants and several other great spots. As you also mentioned, we not only offer guests a great location but also amazing views. Whether you're on the riverside or facing the urban view, you just can't go wrong! Thanks again for the feedback and hope to see you again soon!
Sarajevo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

In the heart of downtown Tampa, walking distance to most attractions. Rooms are spectacularly clean, quiet, and comfortable (especially the bed), with a spacious walk in shower, and friendly local staff. The pool overlooks the river and has a view of the beautiful University of Tampa. Sunsets here are priceless. Great value for the location.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha MsGemSeeker! Thanks for taking the time to submit a review based on your past stay with us. It's great to hear that you were able to enjoy yourself while here. As you stated, we are centrally located in the heart of Downtown. We have several restaurants, museums and much more all within walking distance of the hotel. Not to mention, we offer amazing waterfront views and priceless sunsets. Thanks again and hope to see you again very soon!

Been to Aloft Tampa Downtown? Share your experiences!