SS American Victory Mariners' Memorial and Museum Ship
Ocala, Florida
18 attraction reviews
“so/so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Fortunately for us, we found a deal online. Walking through the old ship itself was a neat experience. However, we were expecting to find a museum aboard and it was more like some sparsely spaced artifacts (mainly clothing, etc.) throughout. If you've never been, I'd say its worth looking at on a deal but certainly not full price, as we were only there for about an hour.

Visited June 2014

“Fun with the family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Had a blast with my kids today on the ship. The ship was a little hard to find behind the Florida Aquarium but was worth the effort. Just wish you could see more of the ship.

North Fort Myers, Florida
55 attraction reviews
“Dissapointed, but worth seeing.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

The ship is hard to find because of poor signage. We parked at the aquarium and I think you can park right by the ship. I didn't see the small sign to turn in to the ship. I actually sailed on the SS Harvard Victory, carrying bombs to Vietnam in 1969. So I was disappointed when they told me I needed an ID card to get a Vet discount. Anyway, the engine room was off limits and the engineering officers deck was off limits, also. I never could find anyone to ask permission to see either one. I was able to take a nice self-guided tour, since I knew my way around as well as any of the staff. Good for them, that they made this old boat operational in spite all of the Coast Guard and insurance requirements needed. Just a bit underwhelming for me.

Plant City
4 attraction reviews
“Fun excursion!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Great opportunity to see a WWII ship, which also takes passengers out twice a year. The personnel were very friendly. This is a self-guided tour, so you can explore at your own pace.

Concord, NC
7 attraction reviews
“Lots of Potential, But.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I'm a sucker for any historic military vessel, so I was excited to discover (on TA of course!) this vintage WWII cargo ship during a recent trip to Tampa. First off, be aware that it is in a state of continuous restoration, so this exhibit will just get better and better. As it stands now, however, it is interesting and worth a trip but has some shortcomings. First of all, it's a little tough to find, tucked at a pier behind the aquarium, with a little bit of hiking needed to get there. Once onboard, the tour starts out promisingly with a history of this ship and its important logistic role during the war. Systematically touring a ship is challenging , but tape on the deck leads you in the right direction from the main entrance. Unfortunately, many of the areas that you passed by had poor or non-existent signage to indicate what you were looking at. Also, those helpful taped lines kind of disappeared once you got out on the weather deck, leaving you to wander around hoping you were going in the right direction and not missing any areas. Even with these shortcomings, however, the ship is interesting, in relatively good condition and tells the important story of the many support ships whose roles were not glamorous but were essential to the war effort. As mentioned before, the ship is constantly being worked on and will continue to improve. But even as it stands today, it is worth a visit.

Visited February 2014