“Very pleasant stay but a few glitches at check in” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Book early and Save 20%
Ranked #52 of 159 hotels in Tampa
South Florida
“Very pleasant stay but a few glitches at check in”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2008

My 3 children and I stayed at the Country Inn for two nights this past weekend. I originally reserved a regular room but then 1 week prior I called and switched my reservation to a "studio suite" with two queen beds and a couch. I repeatedly asked the person on the phone if the couch in the suite pulled out to a bed and she said "no, only suites with one king have a pull out couch, not the suites with two queens." Anyway, when we arrived at 11pm to check in with 3 tired children I was told that I already checked in. Apparently, my reservation was given to someone else. Someone came there with a name that was not even the least bit similar to mine and they gave them my reservation. Nobody even realized that it was the wrong name! Fortunately, they still had rooms available and the desk clerk gave me a different room. He was very polite and tried to deal with the problem but was a little flustered. I'm not sure if it is because he is the one who screwed up, he was trying to fix someone else's mess or both. Originally he gave me a standard room and then when I asked if it was a studio suite he quickly changed my room. I got charged the price of my reservation and was not offered anything for my inconvenience of having to wait while they realized they gave away my reservation. Then when we got to the room the first thing I did was check the couch and of course it was a pull-out. The reservations agent was misinformed and gave out the wrong information. Fortunately for them my husband didn't end up coming or we would have gone somewhere else because I relied on her statement.
After that, the rest of my stay was very pleasant. The room was clean and new. The central air in the room was a little annoying because you couldn't really control the blowing unless you shut the unit off completely and the curtain kept blowing up but the room was large, the bathroom was clean, had granite countertops and we were very comfortable. It was also very quiet. For the remainder of our stay the staff was extremely friendly, helpful and courteous and always smiled and asked if they could help. The location was great for where we needed to go and there was plenty to do in the area. The breakfast was fine as we are not big breakfast eaters and the attendant in the breakfast area was extremely nice and eager to please. Overall, I would recommend staying there and would definitely return. I think the check-in mishap was a fluke because all other aspects of my stay were extremely pleasant.

• Liked — friendly staff, new hotel, nice rooms
  • Disliked — blowing air in the room
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

91 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2007

This is either a new hotel or recently remodeled. Everything is clean and new. Our room was back in a nice quiet corner. We stayed one night. Breakfast includes eggs, bacon, waffles, as well as the standard breakfast buffet items. There is wireless access but no house computer for guests to use.

If you want a great place to eat, try the Fuego Churrascaria Steakhouse. It is a Brazilian type steakhouse where they bring around meats on a skewer. Price includes soup, salad, 6 side dishes and dessert.

• Liked — Everything was new and clean
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

We should have known better...cheap rates usually mean "cheap hotel." Sure enough, we got what we paid for...average room with below average customer service. There is nothing "suite" about the rooms. We have stayed in nicer rooms at Best Westerns and other family hotels. Rooms were clean and hotel is new and clean as a whole. Just be sure to call ahead and demand a room far away from the construction that will wake you up at 7 am every morning, and will continue throughout the entire day. The hotel will do nothing to apologize or accommodate you for the inconvenience. We weren't warned about the disturbance. When we mentioned the noise to the front desk, the manager shrugged their shoulders and said there was nothing they could do. We weren't offered another room, and it was quite obvious that the hotel was far from full. We will be staying at a different hotel on our next trip.

• Liked — We weren't far from the main roads and main mall
  • Disliked — The construction along side of it
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Whitehall, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

A nice, clean hotel, with a great breakfast every morning, easy access to all Tampa attractions, beaches, etc. Excellent staff, everyone worked with a smile. We have an 11 month old son who absolutely loved the pool. We plan on staying here again.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rowley, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2007

My family stayed here for two nights and really enjoyed it. Everything is new since the place was only built less than 2 years ago. About 1/2 hour to Busch Gardens but an easy drive. Located on quiet side street but close enough to restaurants and shopping. Nice amenities in the room, pool small but very nice and not busy at all, desk staff very nice and helpful, good exercise equipment and books to borrow and read for the whole family. We liked the breakfast alot. It was serve yourself like most places with good variety. Waffles, bagels, muffins, fruit, yogurt, eggs, sausage patties, bacon, etc. Healthy choices and fresh. We would stay here again!

• Liked — quiet location
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2007

This hotel was great. Everyone there was very personable and professional. I was expecting something bad from some of the reviews but I think that was a "freak" incident. The check in the guy was funny and took good care of us. The breakfast was great and included waffles, eggs, sausages, and bacon for hot stuff, it also had all kinds of cereal, bagels, muffins, you name it. There was even lemon aid and that was my sons favorite! The lady who was in charge went way beyond herself and took amazing care of everyone. The hotel rooms where a nice size and very clean & comfortable. The pool was nice to hang out in with the kids - a little small but not that many people were there. We REALLY enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Fort Collins, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2007

My wife and I were visiting some family and friends in Florida in March. The weekend we were there happened to be the same weekend as the ACC basketball tournament and the PGA event, so hotel rooms were scarce. We needed a room for just one night, and I was booking only about a week in advance. After many fruitless web searches on all the engines, I happened upon the site for this Country Inn.

This is a brand new hotel (opened late in 2006), and we found it to be very nice. We had a king room on the top floor. The room was huge, with a nice desk, sitting chair and ottoman, and lots of other floor space. It had a nice new flat-screen TV as well (flat screen, not flat panel). We had no problems on check-in.

The hotel sits near a fairly busy commercial district (big box stores, chain restaurants, etc.) There was a bit of noise from the surroundings but otherwise the area that the hotel sits in is clean and seemed safe. We weren't there for the attractions, but it's quite close (within about 10 miles) to Busch Gardens, USF, and some of the other things in the area. We didn't use the pool, so I can't comment on that.

The only problem we encountered wasn't the responsibility of the hotel -- when we were getting ready to check out in the morning, power went out over most of Brandon for about 30-45 minutes. Fortunately, it went out just before we were going to get on the elevator, so we narrowly avoided having to spend that time stuck in the elevator. In any case, it didn't cause a huge problem -- except that there was no hot coffee at breakfast, no toaster, etc., but again this was not the hotel's fault. When we left, all the stoplights in the area were out of commission, so we saw that the outage was pretty widespread.

Based primarily on the quality of our room during our brief stay at this Country Inn, I would recommend it.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Country Inn & Suites Tampa/Brandon? Share your experiences!