“Wonderful all around” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Orlando, FL
“Wonderful all around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

My teenage daughter and I were in Tampa because she was participating in the All-state chorus. Our original reservation was with the Marriott across the street, however, upon check-in there they informed me that they could only accommodate us for one night even though I had reserved three nights. It turns out they had overbooked their hotel and "were hoping that some people just wouldn't show up". I called Embassy Suites and we were very fortunate that they were able to accommodate us.

The following day, after checking out of the Marriott, I went to check in at Embassy Suites. The front desk clerk was extremely friendly, I was informed that full breakfast was included, I was able to check-in early, and the price was considerably less than the Marriott. All of their rooms are suites, so there is a living room area and a bedroom, which was very nice. We ordered room service for desserts that night and it was both fast and delicious. The hot breakfast in the morning was the best hotel breakfast I've ever had and not having to pay extra for it was a real bonus.

If you are traveling to the downtown Tampa area, I would definitely recommend the Embassy Suites. It's location is excellent if you need to go to the convention center and the trolly stop is right out front for easy access to other areas. Also, if you have kids, you will like having a living room area.

I am very happy with my experience at this hotel, especially right after such a negative experience at the hotel across the street.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Polish first
Monett, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

We spent 1 night at this hotel for New Years Eve. Other than the location for the New Years celebration at Channelside, I would not stay again. Almost all the rooms face the atrium, which as you can imagine, is very noisy. We were at first excited that our room was back a little ways from the atrium to avoid the noise, only to find the pop machine, and ice machine right next door. Being a Hilton VIP Gold, and having used 30,000 points for this room, I would have expected a better room location. The room was huge, very nice, and had everything you would need. The beds were pretty comfy, and great pillows. The check-in process was quick and easy, she was very friendly, and gave us directions to Channelside. We left below zero windchills and arrived to 70 degree weather in Tampa so we were happy campers!! We ordered some appetizers from the sports bar, and ate out by the pool with view of the bay. The wait for the food was 45min, but it was very good. The pool is very small, we didn't use it, but the water felt really warm. We had an awesome time ringing in 2010 by watching the fireworks on the bay. The trouble started when we returned to our room about 1:30am to go to bed. My pillow actually viberated when the pop machine was running!! People were still getting ice from the machine at 3am!!! After absolutely no sleep, I finally went to the couch at around 5:30am, just barely asleep, and people started getting ice again at 6:00am!!! It was even louder in the living area, as I almost jumped out of my skin!! The breakfast area is huge, and very noisy also. It was crowded, as many people staying there were attending the Outback Bowl on New Years Day. The breakfast buffet pretty much sucked!! We normally stay at Hilton Garden Inn's, and are used to the great food, and wonderful service. The food was cold and nasty. The made to order station had about a 15-20 min wait for omelets. I don't eat eggs, so there was not to many edible choices beyond the eggs. The toasters were so bad that you had to send your bread through 2 or 3 times to get it toasted. Everytime you walked away from the table to try and find something edible, the busboys/girls would take your plates, and your silverware!! When we checked out, I was asked about our stay, and I advised her I did not like our room next the the ice/pop machines, and that I got no sleep at all. She said, oh I'm sorry about that, and handed me my receipt!! If your not going to be concerned about the feedback, why ask the question??? There was about a 15-20 minute wait to get the car, as the parking is valet only. Even though I think $20.00 is a ridiculous amount to park at a hotel, it wouldn't be so bad if you could at least park yourself! They charge tax on the $20.00 and then you have to tip the valet...it's nuts! I would only stay again if it was for New Years Eve, and they could GUARANTEE that my room would not be near the vending machines. The whole experience at Channelside was awesome, and we would love to do that again. You can't beat the location of the Embassy Suites, but just be careful when requesting the location of your room.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

I recently stayed al Embassy Suites in Downtown Tampa, we went for the FMEA Conference and we had to stay for four nights. Being already a pricey hotel at more than $200.00 a night including state and county taxes, you could expect something in return, like free parking and free wireless internet, but instead you have to pay $20.00 a day for valet parking( the only kind available) and $14.95 daily for internet access. The breakfast is good with a wide selection of choices. The in-site restaurant and sports bar, while well-mantained and cozy, is also too pricey. At the end I felt like being charged for an expensive New York's Times Square hotel... without the view and the good experience.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

We stayed post cruise at the Embassy Suites in Tampa and had an 18th floor suite. Large spacious suites, excellent bathroom and toiletries, great view and hotel is conveniently located within minutes of other hotels and restaurants.

Staff at the front desk were great and we received a great 'walk-in' rate. The hotel seems to cater to the pre and post cruise traveler and offers a comlimentary Manager's cocktail reception each night as well as a full hot buffet breakfast each day.

Exceptional value and great location with super staff - who could ask for more.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

Stayed here four nights recently for the Outback Bowl. The only major complaint, and it's not that bad, is that the breakfast serving areas backed up tremendously in the mornings around 8:30 until about 9:15. And this was simply a factor of such a huge crowd sleeping in a little while and getting up only in time to get breakfast before the area closed at 9:30. The food itself at breakfast was okay, not great.

Thumbs up to the valet service who hustled to keep fans moving in and out of the hotel as quickly as possible. And the one time we ordered room service it was quick and the food was very good....although it was three desserts. Our room was very clean, and made up nicely every day.

My family is used to sleeping with our house very cool, so we had to bypass the AC sensor in the room to be able to get the temp down below 70. If the sensor detects no movement in the room after an amount of time, it automatically cools or heats to a certain eco-friendly temp, which was too warm for us at night. We learned to do this at Disney World a couple of years ago, so it was no problem. And the system resets itself automatically after 24 hours or so, so it's no harm to the system. It made all the difference in how well we slept. And the beds were comfortable.

Very quiet for such a huge crowd during a bowl game week. That was amazing to us. But it might have helped that we were on the 14th floor away from the elevators, too. But we never had an issue with hearing doors slam, or hearing neighbors through the walls, or hearing water from other rooms in the pipes. Very quiet stay, which was nice after busy, noisy days.

Overall, a great experience at this Embassy Suites.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

Stayed the night before a cruise.
Rooms - since it was kind of like an ante room and the bedroom - were large and clean.Comfortable beds and NO internet connection in the room!! :(
WiFi/internet to be found in the business area in the lobby which was over crowded most of the time.
View from 10th floor excellent. Breakfast included but nothing fantastic.
The little pool area was a nice out door bonus. Reception crew efficient and flexible.
Good location - nice to take a walk along the Riverside promenade in the evening or catching the trolley to Ybor historic city. Close to the Cruise ship terminal.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

We stayed for one night, we were in Tampa to watch a hockey game. Location was perfect for us as it is right next to the St. Pete's Times Forum.

Check in was simple and quick. Staff on the front desk were very friendly and helpful.

The room was normal, our window looked out towards a wall. But we were there for the location.

The only downside was that there wasn't any wireless internet in our room.

Comp drinks during managers reception, and the breakfast was great in the morning.

The bellman working while we were there was very friendly and helpful, his name was Fred. One of the best hotel employees we have ever met! Made our experience great.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center? Share your experiences!