“Nice location, but overpriced.” 4 of 5 stars

Suites w/ Bkfst from $99
Ranked #56 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Charleston, SC
“Nice location, but overpriced.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

Stayed here in Tampa for business, overall the Hotel was very impressive! Great lobby, great ambiance, and a nice feel to the lobby and common areas. I checked in and the clerk did not realize that I checked-in ahead of time via the Hilton Hhonors site and was not sure how I was able to check into an executive suite room. My check-in paper clearly stated such, and I was given a hard time. I'm not the type to say do you know who I am, so I was very polite and firm in telling the clerk my check-in process online. I think he was new since another gentlemen immediately came over and intervened. The rooms are very nice, and most have a great view of the bay. I was very impressed with the look and feel of the room. Very plush bed and linens. Contrary to some of the other reviews, I did not have to wait for everything. The elevator took it's time coming down and going up, but hey it's a 20 story hotel. Breakfast was on point and had a nice selection. Could use some more fruit variety, but watermelon and cantaloupe are good to go. Happy hour was a good time as usual. Make sure you check out the cool rooftop pool and go for a dip. Overall, I'd recommend this hotel to someone that is staying downtown, and isn't on a tight budget. $20 a day for valet parking and $14.95 for internet. If that's a big deal to you, don't stay here and complain. If you enjoy the finer things in life, like me, then stay here and enjoy the Tampa scene. Hotel is minutes from Ybor, so don't miss out on the good times.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Polish first
Greensboro, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

I was staying here during the end of April. There was a high school Thespian convention going on. The hotel made no attempt to keep these kids from running the halls, filling the elevators full (and pushing all the buttons). It would have been nice to have some security. Granted these kids needed better chaperones, but the hotel has somewhat of a duty to ensure orderliness in a hotel. The room was mediocre and appears the style hasn't changed since the Carter Administration. The bed is very comfortable. The hotel tends to add in a lot of miscellaneous taxes and fees not originally stated. The hotel is okay, but next time in Tampa I will be staying across the street at the Marriott.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Northern California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 2 non-consecutive weeks in April '09. I'm a Diamond member of Hilton's honor club, but quite frankly it didn't buy me much except a bigger room. The second room I got was on the top floor and the noise from the atrium fan was so loud I felt like I was sleeping in the middle of a runway. I ended up switching to a different non-executive club floor, which was frustrating in itself. Both times I was there the hotel was filled with either young children, teenager or spring breakers and the lobby and other public areas were loud and often so crowded I had to fight to get to the elevators--which, by the way, are so slow it's unbearable. Wireless internet access is $14.95 and is supposed to be high speed--which it wasn't. Additionally when I was on the top floor, it didn't work throughout the whole suite. The line for the made-to-order breakfast looked like a school cafeteria lunch line, and there wasn't enough seating to accommodate the large crowds of screaming, unruly children. The only thing positive I can say about this hotel is that it has a nice workout room. If you're in Tampa on business, I would not recommend this hotel as it will leave you feeling tired and frustrated.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

I'm a fan of the Embassy Suites brand because of the large suite layouts, and this property met expectations in that regard. I stayed here for four nights for a conference at the adjacent convention center while my husband spent his days visiting his parents, who live locally. The cab ride from the airport was a fixed $25, and valet parking at the hotel was $12.

My room was clean and comfortable, and the sitting area that is separated from the bedroom by a small hallway and door was perfect for one evening when my in-laws stayed late visiting with my husband. Having a refrigerator and microwave in the suite also meant that any restaurant dinner leftovers could be stored and reheated if so desired. The HVAC system and associated digital control worked well (a pet peeve of mine at hotels is an extreme hot or cold temperature no matter how I adjust the thermostat), and shower water pressure was adequate. The bathroom was well-lit, but the remainder of the suite was quite dark, with only a few small table/floor lamps scattered in lieu of overhead lighting.

I was located in a "convention center view" room on the 17th floor. That billing doesn't quite do the view justice, as I also had a great view of the bay. Unfortunately, I was subjected to a thumping music bass line for the Friday and Saturday nights of my stay - the noise seemed to be coming from the convention center, in which case you may want to request a room on the other side of the hotel if you're bothered by loud noise. I did not experience any other noise problems during my stay (e.g., from neighboring rooms).

There is an uncovered walkway connecting the hotel to the convention center across the street, but there’s not much else in the area. A Starbucks in the lobby was the only option for a quick lunch, even though I walked quite a distance exploring the area – be aware that the much-touted RiverWalk is not yet completed but instead terminates only about a half mile from the hotel rather than continuing on to the Channelside Plaza (though that’s not really worth visiting anyway, as I found out after heading there for dinner one night). Aside from restaurants in the multiple hotels in the area, there seemed to be one independent restaurant, a massive place called Jackson’s Bistro across a small bridge; service there was atrocious, we literally sat there for hours waiting for our food. There is a Tampa area trolley/bus stop directly outside the hotel, but it wasn’t clear that would take us to anyplace better (we did drive to Ybor City one night, which is on the trolley line, but it was a frightening place to which I’d never return!).

The included breakfast was decent, with made-to-order omelets (if you were willing to wait in line), mediocre fruit selection, breads and pastries, and hot items such as pancakes, bacon, and homefries. All of the staff with whom I interacted were very friendly, consistently greeting passersby with a smile and a hello. I did not use the pool, but it was the tiniest I’ve ever seen, with a limited number of lounge chairs scattered around.

My biggest complaint about this hotel was the inordinate amount of time we spent waiting for things. The worst offender was the elevator. There are only four elevators in the entire building serving twenty floors, with two of these tucked away in a less obvious location not convenient for access to many of the rooms (mine included) such that nearly everyone was trying to use the two main elevators. There were times when I waited 10-15 minutes for an elevator. If I were to stay here again, I’d request a room much lower than the 17th floor so using the stairs would be more of an option! Lines for the included breakfast were often quite long, and it was sometimes impossible to even find a table at which to eat. My room was not cleaned until after 2 pm each day – I found it had not yet been serviced when I returned to my room in the early afternoon between meeting sessions each day, usually between 1 and 3, despite the fact that I left the room by 7 am each morning.

Ultimately, this hotel was acceptable for a business stay, but I certainly would not stay here on vacation.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2009

Great location. Staff was very accomodating even though it was a crazy weekend in Tampa. I did not feel like I was a 2nd rate citizen since I was using Hilton Points, which was great. Breakfast was good, room was large.

• Liked — Large rooms, great location.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2009

The HOT included breakfast was very good but could be quite busy. The suites were gorgeous. The beds were very comfortable. The suites had almost all amenities you could want: multiple sinks, fridge, microwave, couch, 2 tvs. The ocean view was very nice. The business center was convenient, and the staff went out of their way to help us find restaurants and give us tips. The fitness center was a little lacking, but at least it existed. And with 20 floors, you could always get your exercise on the stairs. The pool looked nice and warm, but I never went in.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights on our 5 year anniversary. Its true that you get what you pay for at this hotel.

The suites are spacious and have a great views.
Valet parking only which is $20.00 plus tax each night, but worth the cost and safety of your vehicle.
The have a great manager special from 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM free draft beers and mixed drinks. Our bartender Ray was great and even made us a special anniversary shot on the house!
They also have a hot and cold breakfast served every morning.
The food was great made to order eggs and so many things to chose from.

The front desk staff was wonderful. As soon as we checked in we noticed how good our stay would be. Chip at the front desk welcomed us and upgraded our room because of our anniversary without us even asking for it. Then later on that night we received a bottle of champagne and strawberries on the house. Wow! Now I was impressed and amazed at the hotel staff for this. Never have I had such a great time in a hotel.

If you visit Tampa, this is the perfect location for downtown and Channelside. Only a 25 minute ride to St. Petersburg. Busch Garden is less the 15 minutes away too.

We had a room on the 20th floor and we loved it. It was quiet and had a fantastic view of downtown Tampa at night.

I would recommend and will return to this hotel in the near future again.

• Liked — The Hotel Staff & Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center? Share your experiences!