“4th of July at Embassy” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
lawrenceville,ga
“4th of July at Embassy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We booked a few nights to stay near the fireworks. YES they are right outside of the hotel. The place was packed. Curb appeal was nice, as was lobby. Rooms were typical for ES. Front desk was doing their best to handle the massive crowd. The Trolley is right outside the door. Parking is VERY expensive. We did not get a room on the better side for views. We faced the interstate. I am a Hilton Gold and cashed in 100,000 points for 2 nights. It was a nice hotel but not worth the points. The pool is VERY small ( on the 3rd floor) and no way can it work for such a large hotel. The breakfast was spread out and the staff was efficient. We were allowed to sit in a private area and that was nice. The reception was packed. I am not sure why some ES offer chips/ pretzels and dips while others offer fruit, veggies, cheese and other snacks. Would I stay again? YES if I had a meeting nearby, a wedding to attend or if I were going to take a cruise ship out. NO for a holiday weekend. Too many people made it uncomfortable ( packed elevators) for me. BUT a profit for ES, so they must be doing something right and perhaps others stay again and again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear motherjanegoose,
Thank you for choosing the Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown and for taking the time to post your detailed feedback of your stay during the 4th of July. It was very pleasing to read your appraisal of the hotel itself as well as the area and all of the amenities that you and your family enjoyed. It was indeed a busy weekend at the hotel and I certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon during a quieter time so you can enjoy our hotel.
Best Regards,
Jason Bowers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Polish first
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I expected SO MUCH MORE from the property...... The outside of the building and the lobby are beautiful as expected, great location for anyone that wants to visit The forum, convention center or Ybor and the surrounding downtown area, $13-24 a night for valet was a little much, but for a downtown area it was expected. The staff was wonderful and they gave us a free upgrade to a city view room, with was lovely since I had a first time visitor to Tampa traveling with me. The room however, needs some work. Housekeeping and maintenance seriously need some help and management should be double checking them. My bed was made with no fitted sheet, so when i pulled back my duvet and flat sheet there was bare mattress cover. The shower water must be highly chlorinated because EVERY TIME I showered my eyes were bloodshot and burning, could not enjoy the mildly warm shower I couldn't stand to be in for more than a few mins. Also there was mildew in the picture frame matte above the toilet, and when a soap dish was replaced in the shower no one bothered to take a razor blade to the original tile location. It is the little details that can make or break a returning guest.

Room Tip: The rooms are in need of some management oversight, but if they could fix the little kinks this coul...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Stefani C
Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown for your recent stay. I am very pleased to learn that our staff treated you well while you were here. I have noted your comments and apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. I would like to assure you we pay careful attention to feedback such as you have provided, taking immediate steps to correct any deficiencies. I would therefore hope that your experience on this visit would not dissuade you from staying with us again if your plans bring you to Tampa.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Check in was great, parking great, food good, room was nice. However, we had neighbors that would pound on their door late at night. We could hear everything that was going on in hall way. Blinds in room were broken unable to close fully. Went in the 4th of July with 3 boys. The pool was so overcrowded it was impossible to swim. No where to sit and no towels. Nothing to write home about. Next time we are in Tampa we will be getting a more family friendly hotel.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Neil A
Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites Tampa-Downtown during your recent trip to Tampa. I appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your stay with us.
I do hope you will allow us the occasion to restore your confidence in our hotel.
Zephyrhills, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Check in was a little slow with only one person working the desk, but she was fantastic! I'm sorry I didn't take note of her name (management: we checked in at around 2:30p on 7/4, please acknowledge her!) but her demeanor was upbeat even in the face of the check-in line facing her & other guests trying to get her attention. Our room was great - I really appreciate the sitting room being between the hall and the bedroom to cut down on noise while I sleep. We enjoyed the evening reception & hot breakfast, though more space is needed for these purposes - be prepared to line up. The downtown location is fantastic, an easy walk to anywhere. We strolled down to Channelside to watch the fireworks until the rain drove us inside - thankfully our room gave us the perfect view of the celebration. I think we'll make it an annual event!

Green Features: I respect businesses when they take the initiative to be green, especially on the scale of the city-center hotel.
Dear ichiban
Thank you kindly for choosing Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown and for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor. I am happy to read you enjoyed so many aspects of our property and that your experience was close to perfect. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I just completed a stay at this property over 4th of July weekend. Let me start by saying that I called prior to making a reservation to ensure the room I was booking would give me a view of the fireworks. I was told by the lady at the front desk that indeed it would. I booked a room with a balcony (one of three in the hotel). After a few days, I decided to contact Mr. Jason Bowers the front office manager who does a fantastic job of answering trip advisor reviews, but fails to respond to emails. He still hasn’t responded to mine. Guess being a Diamond member really has it’s benefits at Hilton, huh? Anyway after emailing Jason and getting no response, I thought it was only right to fwd my email to Mr. Jeff Weinthaler, the hotel GM. Guess what, no response, and still to this date, no response. I even left a message for him with Karen and still didn’t get a call back. Finally speaking to Lindsay, I was told that I indeed would not be able to see any fireworks, as the room I was told would view them is on the other side of the hotel and faces the wrong direction from where they are. I was offered the option to change rooms and give up a balcony. If I would have been told this when I booked, I would have likely not stayed.

Check in was nice and easy. Taylor was great and had me up in no time. Sonny the bellman was great as well. Was handed an amenity, as opposed to it being in the room, but I’m not picky about things like that. Just caught me off guard.

Room was very nice. Not huge for a suite, but the balcony was a nice touch, even though it wasn’t the view I had expected. No awning over the balcony, so when it rains, it’s useless.

Breakfast was average; getting to sit in the restaurant as opposed to out in the lobby was a nice touch. It is very crowded and cafeteria style. There were so many people there, people were sitting on the fountain holding trays on their laps.

Starbucks in the hotel is a nice touch as the coffee is pretty bad.

The valet at 24 dollars has to be the worst I’ve ever seen. It takes between 15-30 minutes to get your car dropped off. On the last night, it rained so hard that the valet had us get out of our car, just to tell us to pull into the garage. Then after pulling into the garage, took another 20 minutes for someone to take the car. Getting the car wasn’t bad, calling ahead helped.

As we were leaving, I called for a bell man to come help with the bags, only to get a call asking if I was ready. Wasn’t that the point of my original call?

Overall, I expected a lot more then I got for what was paid. I understand Embassy Suites has a satisfaction guarantee. Let’s see if Mr. Bowers or Mr. Winethaler get a hold of me to discuss this in the future?

Room Tip: Higher floors give a nice view, but elevator rides can get long.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear KSF_TravelinFools,
Again I wanted to extend our apologies for the miscommunication and I am glad we were able to connect and resolve the outstanding issues regarding your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again one day.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

We had a great time while staying at this hotel! Everyone was so friendly and accommodating. We stayed here for the couple days we had before our cruise but we never expected it to be this great of a stay. Sammy the bellman was especially great! He definitely was a huge reason why we loved staying at this hotel so much. He helped us whenever we needed and he was very knowledgeable about the area. The area does lack enough good restaurants near the area but it was definitely manageable.
Overall we left happy and content with our stay at the Embassy Suites! I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends in the future.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear RamSoms
Thank you for choosing the Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown and for your recommendation on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read your kind appraisal of "Sammy the Bellman" and our service team in this regard. I will certainly share your feedback with my team as I am sure they will be equally pleased. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you and your family back in the very near future.
Ocala, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Had an AC issue and their first attempt was to bring me a fan, after a miserable night of sleep complained again and later the next night moved to a room with a better AC. Their explaination was i ws in a green room and the AC only comes on at night ( so i guess when you sleep no AC).
Staff should have moved me as soon as I had an issue and their review would probably be favorably....

Room Tip: do not get a green room ask for sheets with less starch , itched all night
Green Features: Green is good but the guest must still be comfortable
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear michael G,
We apologize for the unpleasant experience you had. As our guest, we want you to feel comfortable and have an enjoyable night's sleep. We've passed on your comments to the appropriate members of our team. We hope you'll consider giving us another chance to demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Been to Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center? Share your experiences!