“Disappointed! What? There's a broken elevator?” 3 of 5 stars

$169 Suites this Spring
Ranked #54 of 158 hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Port Charlotte, Florida, United States
“Disappointed! What? There's a broken elevator?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My two daughters and I stayed there recently for four days. During that time, two days in, the elevator broke, we assumed since there was no note on the elevator. Just people saying they had gotten stuck in the elevator or the lights inside going off. Then the elevator was just off! Never saw anyone trying to fix it. Seeing how this property is twenty floors and filled to capacity you can see how bad this can be. There were mysterious gnats that kept dive bombing you. The toilet had problems flushing. There was a strong skunk smell that lasted all day. The housekeeping never asked if we needed anything. Last, but not least, when I went to pay, charged me an extra thirty dollars a day for my two daughters who are under eighteen. They said it was per person charge for breakfast buffet. So much for complimentary! It is not the money, it is the fact I wasn't notified ahead of time. An extra thirty bucks a day over three nights and four days adds up!

Green Features: They are environmentally-friendly because they won't give you more towels or toilet paper unless you ask, none was simply offered.

692 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Polish first
Port Charlotte, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for six years. I attend a convention every year here and always use them because they are connected to the hotel, it is so convenient. I will no longer be a patron here. This year the service was terrible and there were policy changes and extra charges for the hotel.

~For one thing, we had four people staying in the room. We paid the rate for four, but only two free breakfast were included in our reservations. It is complimentary breakfast, but two of us were charged extra each day. Why was this done? I have no idea!! We paid the correct price for our room, were not room packing, nor did we expect there to be an extra charge. They never even mentioned that there would be a fee when we checked in, there should not have of been because it is supposedly "complimentary."

~The check in staff was rude, very snippy and pointed.

~The hotel was very busy and one of the elevators was broken and was not fixed the entire span that we were there (three days).

~The plumbing was messing up. The toilet would not always flush and there was a bad smell coming from the bathroom for several of the days.

~We never had a maid come to our room.

It was an all around disappointment and unpleasant stay. I would advise going to a hotel that treats the customers well and appreciates repeat customers. I will no longer be staying here, the convenience is not worth the high price of disrespect and fake charges for things.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
We sincerely appreciate your loyalty to us and apologize for the disappointing experience you had. I can assure you that we're just as disappointed to hear about the service missteps. We always strive to provide our guests with the best experience and are following up with our staff. If we can be of additional service, certainly let us know. We hope we can restore your confidence in us and invite you back for a better stay.

Warm regards,
Blue Springs,MO, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

All of the Staff were helpful and considerate. The bedroom suites are very convenient. Excellent Hotel. Downtown was safe and Convention Center linked to hotel was fabulous. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Just checked in earlier today and discovered bra on floor of our room doesn't belong to me??? We have 2 rooms here and I'm kinda grossed out. We are staying for long weekend and this is our family vacation. Wanted connecting rooms which were not available. Wanted bay view corner room also not available. Again here for 4 nights and two rooms. Check-in was uneventful - except for nasty mgr I am assuming. I asked if he could check me and and received an abrupt NO. The lady who eventually helped me was more than kind. Housekeeping was very nice as well - I am allergic to down pillows and they were great. So hopefully the rest of our stay will be better. Its only day one.

• Stayed July 2013
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I highly recommend.When you stay at a hotel this is what you would expect.Top notch!One of the few hotels I would rate this high.Service was great,staff friendly and a perfect location downtown.Might not be the best for families on vacation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

All of the customer service in the world can't make up for broken elevators when there are 3+ events going on at this hotel! My family of 4 were in Tampa for a funeral, so not there for the large groups gathered. We had problems w/ our room that needed troubleshooting, which is what the hotel must do all weekend long.(i.e. there are 3 towels, but 4 adults in our room; our pull out couch didn't have clean linens, & no one brought them up when we called the night before; etc.) Again, we were in town for a funeral, so using our room to change clothes, and had to get in and out quick, which was difficult w/ one of four elevators out the 3 days we were there; and on Floor 16, so no way to utilize stairs.All solveable problems were addressed quickly when we complained. Our corner room w/ the view of the bay was great w/ windows on both sides, not the interior of the hotel. 3rd floor lap pool was awesome! All staff were friendly and helpful. But having an elevator out, and wait times of 20+ minutes was highly frustrating.

Room Tip: Corner rooms w/ 2 windows have great views. The Marriott across the street shares their pool privile...
Green Features: Second time this summer traveling w/ a Hilton hotel where the shampoo/conditioners were not enough for half of our group. Have to beg at front desk for shampoo..........
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding your stay in Tampa and apologize for the issues you encountered during your visit. We're working with our maintenance team to help service the elevators and prevent such missteps from continuing. We hope that we will have another opportunity to serve you if your travels bring you back to our area.

Kind regards,
Wellington, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I made a reservation at this hotel months before my expected stay. At that time I was told that it would be no problem to change the reservation as long as I did so at least 72 hours ahead of time. Now, they have come up with a fake policy saying that they have a 3 night minimum stay but it's apparently only this one week in the year. And this policy is stated no where online that can be found just an ambiguous "subject to hotel policy." The hotel policy doesn't say anywhere that they can decide to change the policy from no minimum nights to three minimum after you have already made the reservations. Worst customer service I have ever had in a hotel. I'm just sorry that I can't give this place a zero.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
I'm sorry to hear about the experience you had and regret that our policy was not clear when booking. We would be happy to speak with you about your concerns in greater detail. If you have a moment, please contact us at your earliest convenience.

Kind regards,
Jason Bowers

Been to Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center? Share your experiences!