“Much to commend it (wifi notwithstanding)...” 4 of 5 stars

Limited Time Rates - $99
Ranked #57 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boalsburg, PA
“Much to commend it (wifi notwithstanding)...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I was privileged to stay at the Embassy Suites in downtown Tampa for five nights when I attended a conference at the Tampa Convention Center in June of 2013. I was immediately impressed by the hotel lobby, a spacious and lovely area with fountains and much greenery. We were whisked on a glass elevator to our 11th-floor room, overlooking that same lobby.

During our time at the Embassy Suites, there was much which made for a pleasant stay. The suite was clean, spacious, and well-appointed. We enjoyed watching the NBA finals on the huge TV in the living room area. We had three guys in our suite, so I drew the short straw and slept on the pull-out couch. Though far from luxurious, it was actually one of the most functional pull-out couches I've ever encountered, and I slept decently well each night.

An absolute highlight was the delicious buffet breakfast, which I ate every morning with great glee. The made-to-order omelets were fabulous, but so was the scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, bagels, fresh fruit, and many other such things. The breakfast area was bizarrely crowded, so I actually ate on my lap while sitting on a stone ledge a few times. But the quality of the food made that small inconvenience quite manageable. And there were also complimentary snacks and soda each evening, which was an extra bonus.

The downsides of the hotel were not insignificant. Parking was expensive, and we actually parked our car about eight blocks away over the weekend, where streetside parking was free, to save some money. And I was especially flabbergasted at the wireless internet rate, which was not only $15 per day but only applied to one device. So, the three of us in our room would have had to pay an additional $45 per day to access wireless internet on our three laptops. That sort of expense for such a basic and essential service is unconscionable in 2013. I can get free wifi at McDonald's and Motel 6, but it costs me a small fortune at a classy hotel like the Embassy Suites??!! This should not be.

Other gripes were minor. We sometimes had to wait a few minutes for the overwhelmed elevators, but that was often because hundreds of us were coming back to the hotel from the convention center at the exact same time. Proximity to the convention center was remarkable, as we were actually connected by a skybridge that crossed over the one street that separated the hotel from the convention center. So, we didn't even had to cross traffic on our two minute walk to our meetings. Free newspapers in the lobby were nice, and I was grateful for a free Pack-n-Play for the one night when our baby was with us. And the business center did offer free internet (and free printing), though limited to three computers, which were often occupied by the hundreds of other guests who refused to pay such an exorbitant wireless fee.

If I were coming to the convention center in the future, I'd consider staying at the Embassy Suites again. Proximity and breakfast make it worth serious consideration. But if I were just coming to Tampa, I'd probably look elsewhere, specifically with free parking and free wireless internet as prerequisites to satisfy my preferences. But if those two issues aren't terribly important, I'm happy to recommend the Embassy Suites as a nice place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Polish first
Dallas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Very good location if you have business at the Tampa Convention Center. Otherwise, not a lot to do in downtown Tampa, which obviously isn't Embassy Suites' fault. No major complaints, though I hate that I had to deal with valet parking. The room was clean, though the pillows were too soft. In-room Internet was a rip-off at $15 per night, though at least it worked w/o issues. It was quiet; I was not woken up during the night. My room had two nice flat screen TV, which was crucial since I had a very important hockey game to watch after my business concluded. (Go Blackhawks!)

Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The usual two room suite which is excellent. Nicely furnished and clean. Helpful staff. If you are going to an event at the Convention Center this is great as there is an elevated walkway to the center. The price was reasonable, at least at the convention rate.

Would have been 5 rating, but the in-house restaurant/bar is very limited. The food is good however and we ate there twice for the convenience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in June 2013. They gave us adjoining rooms, as well as a corner king, which was much larger and nicer than the typical Embassy Suites room. This hotel is newer than many Embassy Suites, though it does maintain the atrium style. It has many floors, but is extremely narrow - making it slightly scary when looking down from your upper floor hotel room. Recommend staying on a low floor if you have a fear of heights. The third floor pool is small, but nice for relaxing as it has jets - they call it a spa/swim pool. Temperature was great. Breakfast was standard Embassy Suites fare, no Belgian waffles to my family's dismay. Manager's reception has chips, pretzels, and dips. Location is wonderful; great view of the river walk and super close to the airport. Hotel connects to the convention center. We could see the cable car from our window, but didn't have time to give it a try to see the rest of downtown Tampa. Only negative would be that the room was not cleaned until late in the afternoon (e.g., we left for the day and came back; the room was not done; we had to call the front desk to get this done).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Whitinsville, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Excellent hotel in downtown Tampa. Good value for the price. Beautiful lobby and amenities. Next door to the convention center, this hotel is very convenient for business travelers. Excellent staff that are friendly and willing to address any questions guests may have. Rooms are clean and fresh. Beautiful views! It is a great value in the heart of the city.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Zenaida B,
Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown for your recent stay.

I would also like to thank you for taking the time to post your positive review. I am very pleased to read that your expectations were exceeded and to learn that our staff treated you well and you were happy with your accommodations.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to visit us again in the near future.
Best Regards,
Jason Bowers
cooksville, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Our view from our hotel was very pictoric. My children totally enjoyed the breakfast, having 4 kids they had a lot to choice from. even though we had a car the public transportation was just outside the hotel. Only issue was that it's start run was after 12 noon. This is one place we plan to return to.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Ft. Lauderdale
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is a nice hotel. Twenty floors with each floor overlooking the lobby; elevators that you can either view Tampa or the inside of the hotel.
The breakfast is nice with made to order omelettes. At night, the hotel offers free drinks and bar food (pretzels, chips, and salsa).
Now the problems:
The carpet in the room was dirty or should I say stained? The carpet did not need to be cleaned, but it probably should have been replaced. There was the imprint of an iron on the carpet and other stains. The carpet to entrance of bedroom was coming up.
There was no place to hang hand towels in the bathroom other than a hook on the back of the bathroom door.
The parking is $22 per day. This is Tampa. The Waldorf Astoria in Orlando is $20 per day.
And as a business traveler this was particularly frustrating: the business center is an afterthought. The printer did not work. There was no tape, staples, or paperclips in the business center. I had to repeatedly go to the front desk for things. I had to email a staff member my documents to print. This is pretty low rent for an Embassy Suites.

And to top it off, when I mentioned my concerns to a front desk staff member, I was told to email my concerns to a manager which I did on June 20. A week later and I have not received a response. That's a bit annoying for a Hilton Honors gold level member.

One of the few bright spots was April when I checked in.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center? Share your experiences!