“Be prepared to slow down!” 4 of 5 stars

Suites w/ Bkfst from $99
Ranked #53 of 159 hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Calgary, Canada
“Be prepared to slow down!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Spent one night in Tampa during spring break and wanted a hotel close to the Forum for a Lightning game. Not a lot of options and this hotel looked pretty good. The hotel itself was nice. Room clean, great view of the Forum and Bay - get a front facing corner room. Comfy beds. Pull out couch TERRIBLE. So uncomfortable.
Elevator situation awful. Not enough for the number of guests. Had to wait 10 mins and the mornings are the worse getting down if not on a high floor. Check in extremely slow - maybe hiring a few more front desk staff during peak hours a good idea???
Breakfast good if you can get a table - which is a challenge. A lot of used, dirty dishes scattered over the restaurant area and lobby as no clear place to put them
Valet parking a zoo! Took longer to get out of hotel in the morning than to eat breakfast. Good idea to send one person down with valet ticket while others are waiting for an elevator with room in it for luggage!
Overall - great location, great beds, clean room, poor service and elevators!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown. We value all forms of guest feedback as an opportunity to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests.

I am of course very concerned to learn that your experience fell short of your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies that you were left to feel disappointed with the elevator wait, and having to wait at valet for your vehicle.

I would like to assure you that we pay careful attention to feedback such as you have provided, taking immediate steps to correct any deficiencies. I would therefore hope that your experience on this visit would not dissuade you from staying with us again if your plans bring you to Tampa.

We hope to have the opportunity to restore your confidence in Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown.
Best Regards,

755 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Polish first
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We found this hotel a convenient location for exploring Tampa's waterfront. Riverwalk, the Trolley and the Streetcar are right outside the door. As well, there are some nice restaurants nearby - we had excellent sushi at Jackson's Bistro while sitting outside enjoying the view. I think we got one of the nicer rooms, on the 19th floor at the west end. It had views both east and west with very comfortable double beds. As Hilton Gold members we also got free internet and bottled water. We did find the breakfast buffet got jammed up a bit but the hotel had a server dish out the hot items which sped that process up. Be aware that the Trolley does not run at convenient times for tourists (6:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.). Also downtown Tampa really empties out and is quiet after all the office workers go home. We are not sure how comfortable we would be walking some of the streets after dark (and we live in downtown Toronto!). Minor quibbles with the hotel: the in-room safe was locked when we checked in, the clock was still showing the old time before the time change in March (and is impossible to figure out how to change). Although we did not hear our next door neighbours when they were in their suite, we could hear them loud and clear in the hallway.

Room Tip: We stayed in 1901 at the west end of the hallway. It looks like the biggest suite on the floor and...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown for your recent stay and for recommending your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am very pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and hope to exceed your expectations once again.

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

All up a reasonable hotel, generally good service. Unfortunately our first week was during 'spring break', the queues for breakfast were endless and often could not get a table once you had your food. Similarily during the evening 'free managers coctails' very crowded, difficult to get a seat to enjoy your drink. The valet parking queues were again quite long during the spring break period.

Once spring break was over, service and queues were far better.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
We appreciate your flexibility and patience as we experienced during our peak season. All of our guests' comfort and convenience is very important to us and we certainly do our best to ensure this. Your feedback will help us to reevaluate our staffing levels during such high occupancy so we can be more mindful of our efforts and focus our attention on each individual guest. We hope you'll come back and see us again soon.

jacksonville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is a good hotel for 1 or 2 nites business stay thats all. First the check inn process is extremely slow it took them 25 minutes to check me in and forget about your Hilton Status they just don't honored the sign is in place but just for show. Horrible check inn experience not only for me but also for other people including my colleagues that came an hour earlier and it was not rush hour. Also if you call the front desk to notify that you are leaving earlier make sure you write down the name of the person you talk too because they will try to charge you another night , they did with me! My colleague was not so lucky and the lady in the front desk with attidude told her in my face to call Hilton Honors desk because she could not do anything for her however, she did for me!!! Also make sure you requeste room service because if not they won't show up thats it. Checkin out another problem YES Manager call your staff you do have a serious customer service problem I did check out on 4/2/2013. Valet parking good . If you have business in Tampa ok but if you are going on vacations please they are many other choices. NO I dont recommend this hotel is just another Embassy , Clean very nice but with poor customer service attention. Breakfast is very good and the staff great but the welcome and check out committee need to be retrain!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I truly apologize for the delays during check-in, service issues, and misunderstanding at check-out. I can assure you that this type of poor service is very rare for us, however; I can very much empathize with your frustration and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Your loyalty as a rewards member and feedback is incredibly important to us and I can assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration and addressed. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any other comments or concerns.

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Our family stayed for one night this past February 2013 post cruise and also to attend a TB Lightning game.

Since we've stayed at other Embassy Suites in the past our expectations weren't too grand for this one so we weren't too disappointed.

The property is quite central so it is nice and close to the streetcars, downtown, Publix and the Times Forum arena. The property is also beautifully landscaped and fronted by these fragrant gardenia (we actually took one blossom and enjoyed the fragrance in our room, sorry :) The city and water views are spectacular and the pool was so-so (it was February when we visited, so there wasn't a lot of pool action but it was still nice and tidy). There are laundry facilities and also complimentary breakfast so those were a nice bonus as well. The room was well kept and tidy and also one of the few hotels we've had that offered Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries. Room service also seemed reasonably priced.

Given it was hockey night , it got really noisy for a few hours around game time when everyone was getting ready and slamming their doors. The noise died down shortly after though. Considering the size of the hotel, I was somewhat disappointed at how poorly staffed the reservation desk and the porters' desk were. We arrived shortly before the OSU Buckeye boosters checked in so were fortunate to miss the lineup that circled out to the entrance.

Overall, we weren't too terribly disappointed with our one night stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We are glad you found our location convenient for your activities and to have met your needs during your overnight stay. We hope you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to having another opportunity to impress you should you travel through our area again in the future.

Panama City, Panama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Yesterday my wife & I checked out of the Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center after a 6 night stay. I was not pleased at all with our stay at this hotel. From the moment we tried to check in on 3/25/13 at around 5:30pm we had problems. Upon arrival reception told us that our room was not ready and that we had to wait around thirty minutes for our room to be cleaned and restocked. We waited in the lobby for less than 30 minutes and were advised that the room was ready. The first evening my wife & I felt that the A/C was not strong enough for the comforters that the hotel supplied. The comforters are too warm for the weak A/C that is in the room. Even set at the lowest possible temperature & with the fan at its max setting, the room was too warm under the comforter. To use only the top sheet was not comfortable at all. I am glad for you that this hotel was fully booked, but because of the quantity of guests there are not enough elevators. The wait for an elevator could be upwards of 15 minutes. Our biggest problem is with housekeeping and the night manager on duty on Thursday 3/28/13. For two days the housekeeping staff neglected to replenish the bar soaps. The shampoos and other liquids were never used; therefore, those never had to be replenished. But after two days & nights the soap had worn out. That evening around 10:30pm I called and spoke with a male named Jeff who assured me that soap would be sent right up. After 60 minutes the soap never arrived and we made do with the little we had left and went to sleep. The next evening was worse. That evening upon arrival the beds were made but the bathroom was completely ignored. The only thing done is the bathroom was that the used towels were taken out, but no clean towels were put in the bathroom and once again the soap was not replenished. I went down to the front desk & told the person on duty of the problem. She gave me soap & Liz the night manager apologized and sent up some towels ASAP.

Room Tip: Get a room on the highest floor to make sure you can get on the elevators. Not enough elevators for...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm so sorry to hear that your experience during your stay was less than acceptable. Efficient service and comfortable, clean guest rooms should be a standard expectation and I'm sorry that we dropped the ball. I'm reviewing your comments with our team and department heads to ensure that such issues at check-in and neglected service requests do not continue. Please keep us in mind for your next trip and let us know how we can be of service.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We booked a block of rooms for our wedding at the Florida Aquarium this past weekend. I had read reviews beforehand and thought I was making the right choice... boy was I wrong!!! When we first arrived, the valet parking was packed... but we quickly learned that was the only option. We had to wait almost 10 minutes for an elevator, which was packed because there are only 4 elevators for 20 floors. When we were leaving for the rehearsal dinner, the valet was pulling my jeep out and the arm of the gate leaving the parking garage hit my car! The valet pulled my car around and got out like nothing happened, when I questioned him, he just shrugged and said it was fine... never even checked for damage! The next day while I was getting in my wedding dress, my photographer went down to the valet to get my car. When I got down the valet, my car was there, locked... with no valet around. We asked 3 people where my keys were, they all just said their didn't know and walked away. I got upset with one of the valets, telling him I needed my keys because I was going to be late for my wedding.... the valet then YELLED at me, telling me that the other valet was coming down with my keys... who yells at a bride on their wedding day!!!! Every experience we had with the valet was HORRIBLE!!! I was embarrassed for my wedding guests that stayed there because I told them that it would be a great hotel. When we went to check out the next day, my husband went down to get a cart for our items, he asked 3 people where the carts were and he was told that he would just have to wait.. no employees were making an effort to collect carts for arriving and departing guests... what kind of customer service is that?! I will never stay at another embassy suites again because of this experience!!!

• Stayed March 2013
First and foremost, we want to congratulate you on your recent nuptials and appreciate that you and your wedding party chose to stay with us for the special occasion. I sincerely apologize for your experience at our property and appreciate your feedback. My number one priority is the comfort, health and safety of our guests. Please contact me directly at so I can speak directly with you about this matter.

Jason Bowers

Been to Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center? Share your experiences!