“Great location, great hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$169 Suites this Spring
Ranked #54 of 158 hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great location, great hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here three nights before a cruise and loved the location. Lots to see within walking distance and loved taking the trolley to Ybor City and Channelside. The breakfast was super, the front desk very helpful and loved Trolley's cafe! Our only problem and I didn't notice it until the first morning as I was getting ready to take a shower, there was hair, quite a bit on the corner of the floor, by the bathtub. After our room was cleaned that day it was still there. I saw the maid in the hall and she said she would take care of it. We went out for the evening and I didn't check until the next morning and it still had not been cleaned up. I called the manager and he said the maid had told him she took care of it. He came and looked at it and went and got the cleaning cart and cleaned it himself.
The room and hotel were very clean, other than this. I would most certainly stay there again and would surely recommend this hotel.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
I am very pleased to learn of your positive impressions after your stay with us at the Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown. I am also thrilled that you had a pleasant time at Trolley's during your visit. Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor and for recommending our hotel.

691 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Polish first
Summerville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I arrived at the Embassy Suites on Feb 1, it was my second stay at this hotel. Pulled up to the valet and they were nothing but friendly and nice. Very helpful with unloading my luggage and the bell hop bringing it up to my room was friendly as well. I loved staying here the first time because of the rooms and the Starbucks they have inside of the hotel. The room was clean, bed was a king bed which was comfortable and I have to say it was one of the best nights sleep I had in a hotel ever. Quiet and peaceful. The rooms Refrigerator was a little to cold so it froze a salad I had in there, not a big deal. The breakfast is by far the best breakfast that is included I have had at a hotel which offered it.
In the evening there is a Managers reception with free drink and chips and dip. All was good. They have a small restaurant/bar in the hotel I did not eat or drink there. If you are planning to go to an event at the Tampa Bay Time Forum which I went to a hockey game its the perfect hotel to stay, right up the street from the arena.
I would definitely recommend this hotel as a stay because I know I will be back!

Room Tip: If you have a car its a $22 a night fee to park it at the hotel. Also internet service is $14.95 a n...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for choosing Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown for your recent stay and for recommending your experience on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and hope to exceed your expectations on your next visit.
Central PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Visited during Gasparilla. Our hotel (Sheraton) had fire alarm pulled, so we walked around to find a place for dinner. Entered Embassy Suites restaurant. Not a soul around at hostess stand, and they weren't busy in the restaurant. My wife and I used the restrooms. We weren't dressed like pirates, weren't drinking or anything. Some front desk manager started eyeing me up while I stood outside restrooms waiting for my wife. Next thing I know, he and some goon from security are walking around, sort of flanking me. I felt very uncomfortable.
I visited this hotel to see a friend about a year ago, and the front desk people were pretty rude. The Marriott is less than a block away, and those people are always nice.
I've stayed in dozens of Embassy Suites, and never encountered this. I think they are long overdue for some sort of customer service training there. I wouldn't consider booking this hotel for any reason, business, family, convention block, etc. You can do so much better!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your review. Your feedback is very valuable as it provides us great insight as to how we can improve our guest experience. I've shared your comments about the issues with our staff so we can make the necessary improvements to avoid these issues in the future. We want to be your number one hotel choice in the area, so, we hope you'll return to see our improvements.
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

So I had to stay in Tampa and again chose the Embassy Suites downtown. As expected everything was great. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful especially Jared and Lindsay. Room was clean. Breakfast was tasty. Even dined in Trolleys and enjoyed our dinner and drinks. The staff always smile and help whenever they can. Management seems involved and taking an interest in their guests. Thank you for another great stay.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that Jared and Lindsay were helpful! I will be sure to share your comments with them. I hope you will return should your travels bring you back this way.
Tallahassee, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Clean, comfortable, and very nice: one of the nicest hotels we've visited so far. Staff was friendly and professional. Water views from most of the rooms and they were very updated, including a wet bar in the living area. Perfect location for downtown events. We checked in and took the trolley (practically at our doorstep) to Ybor city, had a wonderful dinner at the Columbia House restaurant (1 block from trolley stop), complete with Flamenco dancers, and returned to our rooms to find perfect pillows and all the comforts of home. No swans or greenspace in the lobby, a typical Embassy Suites trademark, but we didn't really miss them.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are very nice and have an extra window.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing the Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown for your recent trip and for recommending your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am very pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and hope to exceed your expectations once again.
Drexel, MO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We arrived at the check in counter at 3:10 and the gentleman there went through all of the process including preparing our room keys and swiping my credit card and then told me our room was not ready even though check in time was at 3:00. They advised they had just had a large group leave and they did not have several rooms ready. Sounds like a staffing issue to me - don't tell a customer your problems - fix it. The gentleman took my cell phone number and told me he would call when our room was ready. We went and sat by the pool. I called back down to the desk at 3:35 and inquired how much longer it was going to be and the lady I spoke with advised our room was and had been ready and there was no reason we should have been told our room was not available on check in. I went down to the desk and the lady there asked for my credit card and I told her the gentleman there previously swiped my card and prepared our keys. She blew it off making new keys and swiping my card again.

When we got to the room, the towel bar on the bedroom vanity was falling off, the toilet paper holder in the restroom was falling off and the door frame to the bathroom was broken causing the door to drag and squeak loudly. Engineering came up and fixed all but the door saying they would have to call a vendor in to fix it as their staff was not capable.

When we went down for breakfast Chris, the food and beverage manager, greeted us and asked how our stay was going. I advised him of our issues and he took my cell phone number and said he would have the manager, Jason, contact me regarding the room not being ready on time and our issues at the front desk. The breakfast was wonderful. The second day we were there for breakfast, Chris asked if I had talked with Jason and things were resolved to my satisfaction. I advised Jason had not contacted me and he said he would remind him to call. After three nights on the property, Jason the manager never bothered to call.

The skybridge to the Tampa Convention Center was a nice feature. The streetcar station out in front of the property made travel around the area nice as well. a three day unlimited pass was $11 for adults and $5.50 for students / children.

My wife and daughter went to Trolley's for lunch one day and sat at a four person table. The waitress came up to them and told them they would have to move to a small two person table as they would be getting very busy and could not have them taking up extra seats that were not being used. My wife explained that I would be joining them but the waitress insisted that they move to the small table as I was not with them at the time. When I arrived, they were allowed to move back to a table for four. It took forever for them to serve three cheeseburgers and a cup of soup. Two groups came in after us (one of two people and one of four) and their food (cheeseburgers) was delivered before ours. The waitress came around and filled our water glasses from what appeared to be a 32oz plastic cup instead of a water pitcher.

We dropped our Budget rental car off at their little (only room for one person) office in the hotel after filling the fuel at a station about 10 blocks away and the person working the office advised the tank was not full and he would have to charge us an outrageous amount since the gauge showed it was just a little bit below the full mark, not on or above it. I told him I fueled it to the point the vehicle would not take any more and showed him the receipt but he did not care, all he could do was talk about how he would have to charge me more.

The room and property overall were nice, the problems we encountered made this a very unpleasant stay and management seemed to care less failing to fulfill their promise to have the general manager contact me.

Save yourself the headache and hassle and stay across the street at the Marriott.

Room Tip: Get a high floor for the best view of the bay and rest of the city!
Anderson, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Good location.. lunch was good at Trolly's walking distance to river walk and Harbor Island easy to get a Taxi to get around.. parking a problem, Hotel lobby was packed 'cause of a hockey game next door to hotel..Staff was friendly easy to get to Convention center using sky bridge...

Room Tip: Trolly 's was good for lunch
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown. I can understand your concerns with parking and the hockey season does bring a lot of extra cars both to downtown and the hotel. Hope to see you return in the near future.

Been to Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center? Share your experiences!