“Great property, mediocre restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Suites w/ Bkfst from $99
Ranked #53 of 159 hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lake Mills, Wisconsin
“Great property, mediocre restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I really enjoyed this hotel for my business trip which included a gig at the convention center in downtown Tampa. The rooms are beautifully updated, with nice furnishings and great amenities. As a Diamond Hilton member, I received an 'upgrade' to a double-bed suite, even though I was jealous of the Marriott residents across the street with balconies on their rooms. That said, the rooms here were very spacious, and mine had a nice view of the Bay.

Pros:
Great rooms, great views
Trolley stop literally right in front of the hotel - we went to Ybor City and had a great dinner.
Third floor balcony pool
Bridge to Convention
Center
Giftshop - friendly staff and surprisingly well-stocked
Valet staff - friendly and busy!

Cons:
Third floor fitness facility - small, in some disrepair (especially ellipticals), and light weights - dumbbells maxed out at 20#
Trolley's Restaurant - bland chicken noodle soup, and the pistachio-encrusted salmon I ordered to go to my suite was whitefish. Really? Did they think I wouldn't notice?

With some minor attention to detail, this place could be top-notch. As it is today, it's well worth a visit if you'll be in the downtown vicinity.

Room Tip: Go for a Bay view if you can.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown! We appreciate your feedback and will share it with our management team. I hope your travels bring you back to stay with us again.

755 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Polish first
Orlando, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

It's 2:30 in the morning and I'm on the 19th floor of this otherwise lovely hotel. For the past 4 hours our room has been vibrating due to extremely loud music playing at Jackson's bistro which I'm told is somewhere in the vicinity. The front desk tells us they have received tons of calls and that they've called the police however the music just keeps getting louder and louder. I am disgusted and disappointed, called the police myself and was told that Jackson's will play their music loudly until 3:00 AM. My husband and I came to Tampa for a relaxing night away, used 40,000 HHonors points to listen ghetto, gangsta music until 3:00 AM....will never come back here!

Room Tip: Stay away or bring sleeping pills and ear plugs!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for your loyalty as a rewards member and your candid feedback. Your comfort and safety to us is a top priority and we will do everything we can to ensure that. I have shared your comments with our leadership team. We will be meeting with Jackson's management to seek a swift and appropriate resolution to the noise issue. I apologize for the inconvenience and hope you will reconsider staying with us again for a quieter experience.

Jason Bowers
Director of Front Office
jason.bowers@hilton.com
Davenport, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed here at the beginning of November for a weekend break before heading to a photo seminar at the convention centre.

We live in Orlando so its a short easy drive and we arrived much earlier than we thought we might as we were anticipating having to work in the morning, called the front desk on our way to the hotel and we were told we could check in early no problem.

Our Hilton Honors requests were met and we were on the top floor of the hotel away from the elevator. Rooms are nicely appointed and modern, obviously they keep up on maintenance as there was a guy caulking in the room when we arrived! No biggie he was very polite and was finished anyway - remember we were super early.

Managers reception is a nice touch and busy on a Saturday night it was popular! On the second night it was much quieter and held in Trolleys bar. We ate dinner in there, which was delicious, reasonably priced and service was OK. Breakfast was busy both mornings but excellent and the omelet guys and girls worked super fast to get everyone served. Choice of other items was great too, the usual toast, fruit, cereal as well as complementary hot items like potatoes and sausage.

Great location to ride the trolley, we bought a 3 day pass for $11.00 each and rode around a lot! Took a trip to Ybor and toured the warship at Channelside and watched the cruise ships.

Monday was my seminar and a really easy walk across the bridge from the hotel had me there in about 3 mins!

Would highly recommend for a short break, ideally situated for a pre cruise stay and excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Would have loved an end room with a view of the water!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at the Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown! So glad you were able to experience our authentic Embassy Suites hospitality. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Utica, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed here in April. Free breakfast, free drinks, amazing bay views, huge rooms! What more could you ask for! When we first checked in the computer systems were down and the front desk staff kept their cool and checked us in like nothing. That speaks great volumes about the staff! Not letting something out of their control impact their attitudes towards guests. Very nice! The pool could have been slightly warmer, but a unique pool area. The rooms were very clean for the space you get. Restaurant was very good as well, a young lady with black hair served us and she was very personable! Valet staff great and funny as well.
All and all one of the best hotels I have stayed in. We will be back next April!

Room Tip: Make sure you dont miss the breakfast! The men who makes the omelettes are so great!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Just wanted to thank you for staying here at Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown! So glad you enjoyed the complimentary Manager’s Reception and “free, cooked-to-order breakfast”, available at all Embassy Suites. I will be sure to share your kind words with our staff. We look forward to seeing you again in April.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed here the night before our Western Caribbean cruise on Norwegian Dawn. Before arriving in Tampa I called the hotel to inquire about airport transportation. Embass Suites is contracted with The Blue One transportation Service. We were picked up at the airport within 5 minutes of picking up our luggage. The driver told us about an all-inclusive transportation package which would take us from the airport to the hotel, then to the cruise terminal the next morning and then from the cruise terminal to the airport when we returned from our cruise. It was flawless and for a total cost of $46.00 for two it couldn't be beat. Our room was a standard 2 room suite. I am a HHonors Diamond member but we arrived too early (10:30 am) to get an upgrade. The room was comfortable. We needed some pre-cruise supplies and Publix & CVS are a short 10 minute walk. The manager's reception is always a nice touch. Breakfast was fine although the pancakes were actually cold. I would definitely stay in this hotel again and actually wish we had more time to enjoy what Tampa has to affoer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown before departing on your cruise. I will share your kind words with our team members. Hope to see you return in the near future
Cape Cod
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This hotel should be number one in Tampa, the service and amenities are ridiculous. First you get breakfast included. Great breakfast included, they even make omeletes made to order, i prefer to stay healthy so i like egg whites omelete, I asked the blonde girl that was doing and she said "it would be a pleasure" she was interacting while she still had a big line. Jessica at check in was very friendly, and since I was celebrating a friend's birthday, I got upgrade to the top floor, it's nice to see that people still care to make special dates a little more special. The rooms are big and has everything you need. You can see that it comes down from leader shift, the front office manager Jason was very helpfull, from the very first begining. He helped us to get last minute rooms, and we never felt like an inconvinience. We look forward to come back to this hotel and send everyone here.

Oh, of course, free drinks from 5:30 to 7:30. NO JOKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and that Jessica was helpful! I will be sure to share your comments with her. I hope you will return should your travels bring you back to Tampa.
Sebring, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Just arrived so will write more later. Here for Thanksgiving with my family. First, parking is a mess here. Second, Although I am a Gold member I was told there was no upgrade as the hotel was sold out. I find the statement is not the case. I even offered to pay for an upgrade. I plan to switch my Loyalty to Marriot. Enough of Hilton,

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for choosing to spend your Thanksgiving with us. We appreciate your loyalty as a rewards member and value your feedback. We regret that we could not offer a room upgrade due to full occupancy but we would be happy to discuss your stay further. Please contact us at jason.bowers@hilton.com. We look forward to hearing from you.

Been to Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center? Share your experiences!