“Good Value” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Good Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel was recommended through trip advisor as a place for a getaway weekend before a cruise. Overall, it was a great find in terms of the bang for your buck. Clean, free breakfast, friendly staff, free happy hour (yes, you read that right), and it was close to the trolley line. In terms of a location..it was easy to find, felt like a safe neighborhood, and seemed centralized.

it's NOT the in the nightlife section of town for a weekend, and didn't have a lot of options around for restaurants/bars. (some, just not tons). We were really disappointed in the Riverwalk - there's really not much there. However, that's not the hotel's fault, just a badly publicized, over exaggerated part of Tampa.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown. Hope to see you return in the near future.

797 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Polish first
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I found the hotel to be clean and the staff to be very welcoming and friendly. From the valet to front desk and housekeeping everyone smiled and said hello to me. The room was comfortable and very nicely decorated. Breakfast was good and the managers reception was a pleasant place to relax. I don't know why some people have to complain about free breakfast and free drinks.

• Stayed November 2012
Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here! So glad you were able to experience our authentic Hilton hospitality. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Excellent location on water and adjacent to convention center; close to numerous restaurants. Valet service was so lacking in number of attendants, cars were blocking entrance. Even those there had lead in their shoes. Had to park across street in public garage as hotel has no self parking; not good for security purposes. Front desk staff had no welcoming greeting; didn't even look at me until she handed me my room key. Rooms typical of an Embassy Suite.My room had three different granite tops and edging on each counter. Manager's reception in lobby bar area was like eating lunch in grade school. Lighting was far too bright and tables were lined up like picnic tables. Breakfast service was slow and lack of table seating made it that more unenjoyable. Hostess was really nice. Hotel not worthy of a $200+ nightly rate. Two other highly regarded brand hotels in same area.

Room Tip: Room overlooking bay offers great view lines.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
I appreciate your candor; we look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and our guest appearance and amenities are areas we continually examine. I’m terribly disappointed that you were not greeted with a warm and welcoming smile from our front desk staff. I’ve addressed this with them so this doesn’t happen again. I’m also sorry for the inconvenience with our valet service and have passed on your feedback to the management company. We will surely keep your other comments in mind as we look to enhance our guest experience. I welcome any additional comments or suggestions you would like to share.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I have stayed at Embassy Suites many times. This one exceeds the standard set by this chain. The staff were extremely helpful and courteous. The evening cocktails and the hot breakfast is always appreciated. When I saw that my room was next to the vending machine, I had some concern, but could not hear any noise in my room. Great acoustics.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at the Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown! So glad you were able to experience our authentic Hilton hospitality. We look forward to seeing you soon.
jacksonville, fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stay in Tampa quite a bit. This is an excellent hotel for either extended business stays or for families on vacation. Every room is a suite, lots and lots of space. The living room is separated by a door - but each has a tv - the couch in the living room folds out into a bed - perfect if you are traveling with one or two kids.

Nice table work space if you there on business and don't want to feel like you are in a cell.

The free breakfast is incredible - an omelet station, pretty much anything you would like for a breakfast.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown! So glad you enjoyed the complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast available at all Embassy Suites. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Very sad indeed. The front desk agents have to be the worst I've ever encountered. So, so, unfriendly, with zero personality with one exception - Jared. Thank you Jared!!!
The breakfast host the morning of 11/07/2012 was very pleasant. I think her name was Saada.
Such a nice hotel with clean, beautiful rooms and great location. I thank God that the first people I met coming into the hotel were the valet staff and not the front desk staff.
Their shuttle, even within downtown is not free.
Parking, $13/day.
If service does not bother you, this is a very well located and beautiful hotel. Even has a Starbucks on premises and a restaurant with the best flank sliders :)

Room Tip: Nice restaurant at hotel. Avoid the front desk as much as possible so that you can enjoy your stay.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
We’re very sorry you experienced an undesirable level of customer service with us. We have addressed your dissatisfaction with our staff. We will also be sure to thank the accommodating staff members you mention. We appreciate you alerting us your concerns and we hope you will give us a second chance if you return to the area and experience the excellent level of hospitality that the Embassy Suites brand is known for.

Warm regards,
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Dates of Stay: 19-21 October 2012 (2 nights)
We were in town to attend homecoming at University of Tampa and decided to give the Embassy Suites a try. I originally booked a best available rate about 2 months in advance for $179 a night. About a week before, I checked the rate again, and it was now $139 so I rebooked and canceled the original. A few days before arrival, I noticed a prepaid rate for the same type of room for $99. Since it was so close and I was almost positive that I would be going to Tampa, I booked this rate, which I noticed was not available the next day so I might have received the only reservation available at that rate. Before I left Orlando, I called to ask some questions and had to wait 30 or so rings for someone to answer and put me on hold. That should have told me something about the customer service. They told me that UT was 3-4 miles away when I asked about a shuttle, but I knew it was much closer. Since parking was $20/night, we arranged to park on campus for free and walk back and forth the ½ mile of so. There was no special line for Hilton Honors (I am Gold) at check-in or it was unmanned (I don’t remember exactly, but I do remember that we had to wait a few minutes). We were upgraded to a very nice suite on the 19th floor (out of 20 floors in total). I was a little uncomfortable with the open atrium, which made me dizzy. I don’t handle open heights very well although I have no trouble if there is a window or in the elevator. There was noise from some floor work above us, but that was only when we first arrived; otherwise, it was quiet most of the time, and no noise could be heard in bedroom from outside or from the atrium. The first room had a couch, table, and chairs plus a large flat screen TV. Internet worked fine and was free because of my status. I didn’t try in bedroom as some have complained that it doesn’t work well there. The corridor between the living room area and the bedroom had a fridge and more plus a safe in the closet. There were no minibar items except two large bottles of water on the counter. The bathroom was to the right and had a nice tub/shower combo plus toilet and sink. Water pressure and temperature were good plus many nice amenities were provided. The bedroom had another TV plus a large, comfortable bed. The view was towards downtown and was very nice. We could see miles away. Breakfast each day was an adventure. Both were crowded (the second day a little more than the first), but we found a table each day. They had the usual scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and potatoes plus juices, coffee, tea, and a bread station. My main complaint was the set up of the omelet station. There were two stations, but there was no organization for the line(s). The second morning, the station for which I was in line just suddenly closed. The female chef just shut the partition (she must have needed a cigarette or something). I had to get in the end of the other line and start over. The other guy was not happy and was commenting on his co-worker’s training and behavior. She reopened the line soon after, but it was too late for me since others lined up before I could move back. He was under pressure and made my omelet with real eggs as opposed to egg whites as I ordered. He apologized and made me a good one. The first morning, I had two omelets: one from each station, and both were good. My complaint that morning was the lack of knives, but they were restocked once I found someone to tell. The manager’s happy hour was not that exciting. Cheap beer and very few snacks was the offer. It’s worth the price! The second day there were many people watching college football, but this “happy hour” has much room for improvement. Hotel was safe. It was quiet and not very crowded the first night-more in town for professional football game the second night. Half the people at breakfast were wearing New Orleans Saints’ jerseys. A major complaint I had is no shuttle service. The trolley to Ybor City stops at the hotel, and I guess they consider this their shuttle service, but it’s not cheap! They need a shuttle like most hotels of the caliber to take people to the cruise terminals, local restaurants and nearby attractions, etc. Most of the staff was friendly, but the breakfast staff needs more customer service training. Housekeeping was great, and cleaned room very well the one time that it was due. I would stay here again if I could get a decent rate (would have to be under $200). That’s the max I would pay to stay there. Also, if you book here and have a cancelable rate, check again 7 to 10 days out and also a few days prior to see if rates are lower. There’s also a very good restaurant a few blocks north called L’Eden, but make reservations.
In summary, Tampa only has a few hotels downtown. There are others nearer Westshore, Busch Gardens, Ybor City, the casino, etc. so not many options in the center of town. Parking is expensive (was $30 a day earlier in the summer, I think), no shuttle service so must cab, walk, or pay for expensive trolley ride to go anywhere without a car, and breakfast/happy hour have staff training issues plus very limited snacks and drink choices at happy hour. They are both quoted as “free”, but the charge is built in to the overall room charge since nothing is free. There is a Marriott next door. I’m not sure what it has to offer, but its pool looks much bigger and nicer and can be seen from the elevator at the Embassy Suites.

Room Tip: Get a high floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jason B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Your detailed review will help us make the necessary service improvements as well as reevaluate some of our offerings. I apologize for the service issue at the omelet station and your disappointment with the transportation options. We hope that you choose to stay with us again when you’re in town. We would love to see you.

Warm regards,
Jason Bowers

Been to Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center? Share your experiences!