“Interesting to say the least” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Tampa Stadium Airport

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Tampa Stadium Airport to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Tampa Stadium Airport
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4750 N. Dale Mabry Hwy, Tampa, FL 33614   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #83 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Dunedin, Florida, United States
“Interesting to say the least”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I will say some of the staff was great (if they acknowledged you). The room on the other hand was a mess! Shower handle was hanging off making the water so hot that it burnt my kids. Telephones did not work and I expressed my dislike with front desk simply to be told "well I am nice so can you give me a good review?". The free hot breakfast was convenient but not very tasty. It was nice having the free shuttle but the driver that he was Mario Andretti and scared us to death. Will consider staying again for a game but I will never take my kids back to this unsafe hotel.

Room Tip: Do not take your children
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Tampa Stadium Airport, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Hello Lara T,

Please let me sincerely apologize to you regarding your experience with us during your stay. As the new General Manager of the property, I can't tell you how valuable your comments are to me. It allows me to make immediate and needed changes so we can improve our service and quality of stay for our guests.

I would love to speak to you further regarding which room you were in so I can make sure our maintenance team corrects the issues.

In the mean time, please rest assured I am taking steps to make sure our response to our guests when things don't go 100% correct is being addressed and coached.

Thank you again for taking time out of your schedule to fill out a review, and I hope we get a chance to speak soon.

Ryan Cornelius

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

No problems found at this hotel, free shuttle service only to R J Stadium. Return trip was $7 cab ride or walkable (approximately 1/2 mile). Staff very welcoming and helpful, answered our questions.

Hotel was clean, well maintained. Free breakfast buffet included scrambled eggs, sausage patties, cinnamon rolls and all the other usual items. Lots of choices. Would go there again. It's not a resort, but serves the purpose for an overnight stay and the location is convenient if you need an overnight stay after a football event.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Tampa Stadium Airport, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Hello Ravens Fan,

You are the first review I get to respond to. My name is Ryan Cornelius, and I am the new General Manager of the Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Tampa Stadium Airport. I was previously at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Tampa USF Busch Gardens.

Please let me first thank you for your review of our hotel. Since I have only been here a week, it is nice to see reviews since your are seeing the property in the same way I am. Everything is new to me here, and I look forward to learning everything there is to know about my new hotel. I know I truly appreciate the value guest reviews has for future guests, but for us as well. We can take the opportunity to learn how to do better.

There is a lot of things I want to accomplish here, and I am happy to start off on a good note.

Thank you!

Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Stayed here in March of 2012. Nothing too great about this hotel, a typical chain hotel. It was clean, sheets were changed, and it wasn't too expensive. Good for a decent place to stay, not great if you want a hotel experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Ashleigh H, and thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I am the new General Manager here at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Tampa Stadium Airport, and I hope to make some changes for the better in the coming months. I don't want anyone to ever leave my hotel not thinking it wasn't special.

I hope you get a chance to come back and see the changes we are making soon!

Dayton, OH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

This hotel is by far is the worst Holiday Inn Express I have stayed at and I always stay at Holiday Inn Express. The shower handle did not work correctly, it would not provide any cool water so showers were buring hot. Hair dryer sparked and smelled electical- had to unplug. Upon check out told front desk women and they really did not seem to care just said they will have it fixed. Van shuttle driver to airport was very short with my kids. I emailed GM twice and no response. Guess they just dont care. Don't stay here

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hello Monkey12,

Please let me start by sincerely apologizing for your experience during your stay with us. I have reviewed these comments as well as the review you left on your survey of the hotel. Since I have just joined the team as the new General Manager, please rest assured I take all guest comments very seriously, and use them as a tool to help us always get better and better every day in every way. We cannot maintain or sustain our business if all our guests have experiences such as yours.

That being said, I hope we get a chance to redeem ourselves when you return in the future. We are taking immediate steps to improve the quality of our rooms, as well as the service we provide.

Saint Augustine, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for the past four days and check out tomorrow- and I can't WAIT to leave. I will do my best to be very non-subjective/honest as I highlight the positives along with the negatives.

Positives: "Maybe" the location, but only if you're here to catch a game at the Tampa Stadium since it's literally about 5000 feet up the road. Another positive would be the daily breakfast, but don't misunderstand my intent there. It's not that breakfast is anything above and beyond what you get elsewhere, it's just that it's at least averagely consistent and worth taking advantage of. It is truly unfortunate that for me, the positives end right there.

Negatives: I arrived after a 3.5 hr drive to get here and was *really* looking forward to flopping down on a fresh, clean bed to just "rest" for a few minutes. The first thing that stood out was the parking lot and general condition of the immediate area. In a nutshell, it is just flat out barren around the immediate area of this hotel. There is a very dilapidated and closed restaurant directly in the front, and there is another closed business directly beside it. These two businesses have essentially become parking lots for local construction vehicles and other cars that I have not seen move from their spot in four days now. On the other side of the hotel is well, another hotel, that is obviously old and in a very bad state; which in turn is naturally attracting the kind of guests that you would not want your children to even be exposed to. To put it another way, I made sure that I did not leave ANYTHING valuable in my car overnight- enough said on that.

Still hopeful, I entered the lobby and waited for no less than 5 or 6 minutes before someone came to greet me; but only after I started saying, "Hello?" out loud several times. Ok, not a big deal in the grand scheme and I'm not "that" anal about things, but I was already beginning to feel that it was just another omen of what my stay was going to be like. I was quickly checked in and the staff was in fact courteous- perfect and off to the room I go. But.....read other reviews and take note of what's said about the front desk and staff which I think helps to validate my own.

I entered the room and my first impression was that everything was neat, clean and welcoming. I had a king sized bed, there was a business desk to work at, a separate lounge chair w/ottoman, a microwave and refrigerator, and there was a full size bath. While the room appeared to be clean overall, something just didn't quite "feel" right although I couldn't put my finger on it yet. It wasn't until that evening that things began to quickly sway my opinion.

As I closed the curtains for the evening, I observed that they were ripped on both sides with DUCT TAPE reinforcing the back of them; only the holes with tape were still wide open and appeared to have been that way for some time now. There is simply no way that any of the hotel staff could miss that, and I have NEVER seen a hotel actually condone DUCT TAPE as a fix for ripped curtains.

Exhausted, I just wanted a nice hot shower and some rest as I prepared for the following day. I unfolded and placed the towel meant for the bathroom floor only to see that it too was ripped and needed replacing. I get it, it's a floor towel, but I giggled at the thought that there was a common theme developing with all fabric related items here.

As I began my shower, the bathtub drained so slowly that I actually stood in my own runoff water for the duration of my shower. I also noticed that I was initially leaving black footprints when my feet first hit the water, but I thought it was just from the day's travel in flip flops and mistakenly misidentified and dismissed the real cause. I had two choices for water temperature: HOT and HOT. In order to cool the water, I had to just about turn it off which in turn reduced the water pressure to a trickle, but the drain STILL held water over my feet.

The next morning I stopped at the desk to inform them of the tub and the same thing- no one tending to the desk for about 5 minutes. This isn't much time, but it is when you're on your way to a business meeting and need to get going. They assured me that it would be fixed by the end of they day and were polite about it- fair as expected, good. I returned at the end of the day and looked around, and I just knew that the drain hadn't been tended to. However, the room appeared to be clean and in the same order as before, so I held out hope.

When I took my next shower, the drain immediately stopped up just as it had before, and I once again stood in my own water until finished. Once again, there it was: my feet were leaving BLACK footprints when I first stepped into the tub, and it was only then that I realized why- the room CARPET was THAT dirty! I had been walking around barefoot for about 2 hrs before my shower. That is a very disgusting feeling and instantly made me wonder what else in the room was not visible to the naked eye. One thing was for sure, I no longer wanted to touch anything but what was absolutely necessary in this particular room. I was also instantly grateful that I had brought my own pillow.

The next morning I again informed the staff of the bathtub, and this time it was fixed when I returned that evening. Even so, that was 2 days of my stay already "down the drain," only in this case not literally.

Another observance was that the hotel's housecleaning crew always appeared to be busy as mice, but they were never finished with the rooms before 5 or 6 p.m. each day. I returned one day right around 5 to find them just walking out of my room. That may not seem like an issue to some, but I find it worth mentioning since it's obvious that you may not be able to rely on any certain time table if you have dinner plans after work and want to freshen up first.

I mentioned in the title that I would NOT recommend this hotel as a family stay; even if you are visiting the local theme parks. It is my opinion that this hotel is only surviving due to having the airport nearby. Well, actually, I should amend that to add that certain "businesses" in the immediate vicinity (for which Tampa is known for) probably help to sustain the hotel as well for travelers looking for such a thing. This too is worth mentioning, because you need to know that if you choose to bring your children here, they WILL be exposed certain businesses. in turn, you may find yourself engaged in a very uncomfortable discussion with your children that you'd rather avoid. There is no escaping this either as the hotel is surrounded by them in ALL directions within a 2 mile radius; even on the back roads behind the hotel.

In an effort to be fair, would I stay here again with a group of guys coming to see a football game? Only "maybe" and ONLY for these reasons: (1) because those kinds of guy trips "are what they are," (2) the drive to the stadium is less than 3 minutes, and (3) well, there just aren't too many other choices in the area. However, would I bring my spouse or family here? Absolutely NOT with a VERY resounding "NO!" The hotel is in dire need of an overhauling and would enjoy a much better overall and consistent clientele with a little housekeeping of its own. For the rate charged, there are better choices elsewhere.

Hopefully this will help someone make an informed decision of their own, because it's still an option for certain types of trip plans....but NOT, in my opinion, a good option for the family.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Tampa Stadium Airport, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Tony&Barb,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room conditions, and area surrounding the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your visit. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed here in June 2013. When pulling up it seemed a little confusing because there was another hotel surronding the Holiday Inn. The area seemed older. So we checked in and went to the room. The room had a weird musty smell to it. In addition the lounge chair seemed old and had a HUGE stain on it!! Not a chair I would want to relax in. It's hard enough knowing you are sleeping in a room hundreds or thousands of people have stayed without being reminded with a used looking stained chair. So overall the room was OK not great.

On a positive side, the following morning they had complimentary breakfast which was really good with a good deal of variety. Then we sat out by the pool area which was updated and clean. That was very nice and relaxing!

As far as managment or personel, we really did not see much or anyone meeting with the guest so I can't really say if they were nice or not. The front desk was not good or bad. They did there jobs but no over the top experience.

So overall to me just an average stay. If the rooms were a bit better I would rank higher.

Room Tip: This is a GREAT location if going to the Tampa BUCS game !!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
dgrenier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Tampa Stadium Airport, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your stay with us. We all appreciate hearing about the positives. Your constructive criticism will help us improve our product and service. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests; therefore we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. We appreciate your comments and rest assured that they will be shared with all our team members for improvements.
Arlington, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayrd here one night on my way back from the beach. Great location for the airport, as well as Bucs Stadium. We arrived very late, but receptionist was friendly
and helpful. Good breakfast Buffett included and shuttle to airport.

• Stayed July 2013
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Tampa Stadium Airport, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Hello TXCornbread! Thank you for your kind review!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Tampa Stadium Airport? Share your experiences!