“Deceptively clean; "NOT" your family vacation spot!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Tampa Stadium Airport

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Tampa Stadium Airport to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Tampa Stadium Airport
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4750 N. Dale Mabry Hwy, Tampa, FL 33614   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #84 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Saint Augustine, FL
“Deceptively clean; "NOT" your family vacation spot!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for the past four days and check out tomorrow- and I can't WAIT to leave. I will do my best to be very non-subjective/honest as I highlight the positives along with the negatives.

Positives: "Maybe" the location, but only if you're here to catch a game at the Tampa Stadium since it's literally about 5000 feet up the road. Another positive would be the daily breakfast, but don't misunderstand my intent there. It's not that breakfast is anything above and beyond what you get elsewhere, it's just that it's at least averagely consistent and worth taking advantage of. It is truly unfortunate that for me, the positives end right there.

Negatives: I arrived after a 3.5 hr drive to get here and was *really* looking forward to flopping down on a fresh, clean bed to just "rest" for a few minutes. The first thing that stood out was the parking lot and general condition of the immediate area. In a nutshell, it is just flat out barren around the immediate area of this hotel. There is a very dilapidated and closed restaurant directly in the front, and there is another closed business directly beside it. These two businesses have essentially become parking lots for local construction vehicles and other cars that I have not seen move from their spot in four days now. On the other side of the hotel is well, another hotel, that is obviously old and in a very bad state; which in turn is naturally attracting the kind of guests that you would not want your children to even be exposed to. To put it another way, I made sure that I did not leave ANYTHING valuable in my car overnight- enough said on that.

Still hopeful, I entered the lobby and waited for no less than 5 or 6 minutes before someone came to greet me; but only after I started saying, "Hello?" out loud several times. Ok, not a big deal in the grand scheme and I'm not "that" anal about things, but I was already beginning to feel that it was just another omen of what my stay was going to be like. I was quickly checked in and the staff was in fact courteous- perfect and off to the room I go. But.....read other reviews and take note of what's said about the front desk and staff which I think helps to validate my own.

I entered the room and my first impression was that everything was neat, clean and welcoming. I had a king sized bed, there was a business desk to work at, a separate lounge chair w/ottoman, a microwave and refrigerator, and there was a full size bath. While the room appeared to be clean overall, something just didn't quite "feel" right although I couldn't put my finger on it yet. It wasn't until that evening that things began to quickly sway my opinion.

As I closed the curtains for the evening, I observed that they were ripped on both sides with DUCT TAPE reinforcing the back of them; only the holes with tape were still wide open and appeared to have been that way for some time now. There is simply no way that any of the hotel staff could miss that, and I have NEVER seen a hotel actually condone DUCT TAPE as a fix for ripped curtains.

Exhausted, I just wanted a nice hot shower and some rest as I prepared for the following day. I unfolded and placed the towel meant for the bathroom floor only to see that it too was ripped and needed replacing. I get it, it's a floor towel, but I giggled at the thought that there was a common theme developing with all fabric related items here.

As I began my shower, the bathtub drained so slowly that I actually stood in my own runoff water for the duration of my shower. I also noticed that I was initially leaving black footprints when my feet first hit the water, but I thought it was just from the day's travel in flip flops and mistakenly misidentified and dismissed the real cause. I had two choices for water temperature: HOT and HOT. In order to cool the water, I had to just about turn it off which in turn reduced the water pressure to a trickle, but the drain STILL held water over my feet.

The next morning I stopped at the desk to inform them of the tub and the same thing- no one tending to the desk for about 5 minutes. This isn't much time, but it is when you're on your way to a business meeting and need to get going. They assured me that it would be fixed by the end of they day and were polite about it- fair as expected, good. I returned at the end of the day and looked around, and I just knew that the drain hadn't been tended to. However, the room appeared to be clean and in the same order as before, so I held out hope.

When I took my next shower, the drain immediately stopped up just as it had before, and I once again stood in my own water until finished. Once again, there it was: my feet were leaving BLACK footprints when I first stepped into the tub, and it was only then that I realized why- the room CARPET was THAT dirty! I had been walking around barefoot for about 2 hrs before my shower. That is a very disgusting feeling and instantly made me wonder what else in the room was not visible to the naked eye. One thing was for sure, I no longer wanted to touch anything but what was absolutely necessary in this particular room. I was also instantly grateful that I had brought my own pillow.

The next morning I again informed the staff of the bathtub, and this time it was fixed when I returned that evening. Even so, that was 2 days of my stay already "down the drain," only in this case not literally.

Another observance was that the hotel's housecleaning crew always appeared to be busy as mice, but they were never finished with the rooms before 5 or 6 p.m. each day. I returned one day right around 5 to find them just walking out of my room. That may not seem like an issue to some, but I find it worth mentioning since it's obvious that you may not be able to rely on any certain time table if you have dinner plans after work and want to freshen up first.

I mentioned in the title that I would NOT recommend this hotel as a family stay; even if you are visiting the local theme parks. It is my opinion that this hotel is only surviving due to having the airport nearby. Well, actually, I should amend that to add that certain "businesses" in the immediate vicinity (for which Tampa is known for) probably help to sustain the hotel as well for travelers looking for such a thing. This too is worth mentioning, because you need to know that if you choose to bring your children here, they WILL be exposed certain businesses. in turn, you may find yourself engaged in a very uncomfortable discussion with your children that you'd rather avoid. There is no escaping this either as the hotel is surrounded by them in ALL directions within a 2 mile radius; even on the back roads behind the hotel.

In an effort to be fair, would I stay here again with a group of guys coming to see a football game? Only "maybe" and ONLY for these reasons: (1) because those kinds of guy trips "are what they are," (2) the drive to the stadium is less than 3 minutes, and (3) well, there just aren't too many other choices in the area. However, would I bring my spouse or family here? Absolutely NOT with a VERY resounding "NO!" The hotel is in dire need of an overhauling and would enjoy a much better overall and consistent clientele with a little housekeeping of its own. For the rate charged, there are better choices elsewhere.

Hopefully this will help someone make an informed decision of their own, because it's still an option for certain types of trip plans....but NOT, in my opinion, a good option for the family.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Tampa Stadium Airport, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Tony&Barb,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room conditions, and area surrounding the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your visit. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed here in June 2013. When pulling up it seemed a little confusing because there was another hotel surronding the Holiday Inn. The area seemed older. So we checked in and went to the room. The room had a weird musty smell to it. In addition the lounge chair seemed old and had a HUGE stain on it!! Not a chair I would want to relax in. It's hard enough knowing you are sleeping in a room hundreds or thousands of people have stayed without being reminded with a used looking stained chair. So overall the room was OK not great.

On a positive side, the following morning they had complimentary breakfast which was really good with a good deal of variety. Then we sat out by the pool area which was updated and clean. That was very nice and relaxing!

As far as managment or personel, we really did not see much or anyone meeting with the guest so I can't really say if they were nice or not. The front desk was not good or bad. They did there jobs but no over the top experience.

So overall to me just an average stay. If the rooms were a bit better I would rank higher.

Room Tip: This is a GREAT location if going to the Tampa BUCS game !!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
dgrenier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Tampa Stadium Airport, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your stay with us. We all appreciate hearing about the positives. Your constructive criticism will help us improve our product and service. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests; therefore we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. We appreciate your comments and rest assured that they will be shared with all our team members for improvements.
Arlington, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayrd here one night on my way back from the beach. Great location for the airport, as well as Bucs Stadium. We arrived very late, but receptionist was friendly
and helpful. Good breakfast Buffett included and shuttle to airport.

• Stayed July 2013
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Tampa Stadium Airport, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Hello TXCornbread! Thank you for your kind review!
Berkeley, CA, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed here with a business group in room 236. I must advise you do not stay in room 236. The room was musty, moldy, had cockroaches, nail polish stains all over the carpet.

A colleague stayed in room 214 and it was like night and day. His room was clean, non-musty, non-moldy, decent carpet.

The public areas are appropriately nice for a hotel in this price range and age.

If I were to stay here again, I would check the room before I committed.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 236. It is moldy, musty and has cockroaches.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Tampa Stadium Airport, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Berkeley_Trader,

Thank you so much for taking the time out to write a review of our hotel. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests; therefore we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. It dissatisfies me to know that you were inconvenienced with the condition and unacceptable cleanliness of the room you received. We appreciate your comments and rest assured that they will be shared with our team for improvements.

We thank you again for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back to provide you with a better accommodation.

Zelyn N
Fort McMurray, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We spent one night here before flying out of Tampa. We had a king room, it was a nice size. The staff was friendly and efficient. It was roughly a 10 minute (or less) drive to the airport. We were impressed by the complimentary breakfast, more than the standard found in most hotels: there was sausage, eggs, pancakes, toast cereal, biscuits and gravy, yogurt, plus coffee, juices, etc. it's not a really fancy place, but we would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello CeeCeeK. Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to fill out a review for us! Although you stayed here before I took over as General Manager, it is good to see I have a good foundation to build all of our improvements on. We hope you get a chance to come and see us again soon!

Ryan Cornelius
U.S.A.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Pro:
-13 minutes from airport/ 5 minutes from Bucs/Rays.

Cons:
-Big comfy chair had a leg MISSING!
-Thick layer dust on back and arm of chair.
Front desk said it was too late to do anything- maybe they could move me. I said I would just stay out of chair- my issue is why did housekeeping miss this and what's with the dust???
-No WiFi Internet access on 4th floor- I called front desk again and she said, your on the east side, only the west side has trouble usually. She said if you see the Comfort Inn WiFi the password is (and rattled off something). I said I don't see Comfort Inn either.
-Room was very run down and out dated.- shower rod was 'rigged' up with some crazy screws and looked like it could fall.
-Carpet had big red stains??? Wax?? Blood?? Red koolaid?? Looked like it had been cleaned, but could still see it- right in front of fridge.

*Just stay somewhere else.*

• Stayed May 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Tampa Stadium Airport, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear SenatorMcCain,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so glad you liked the convenient location of our hotel within the area. Please accept our sincerest apology for the issues you had with your room accommodations and the service you received did not live up to your expectations. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class experience. For that reason, we have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain some additional details. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Wheeling, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for Yankees spring training. Great location. We were within easy walking distance to the stadium, though a shuttle was available. The place is not fancy, but it is modern, clean and comfortable. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. Shuttle service was available for some nearby trips. The manager's reception during the week was a great perk. Again, not fancy, but a good way to have a light meal before you go to the ballpark--and those ballpark food/drink prices. Overall, a great visit and one we are likely to repeat.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Tampa Stadium Airport? Share your experiences!