“Just ok” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Jacksonville, Florida
“Just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This hotel was ok. Had great location next to the Florida State Fairgrounds and had a shuttle to the casino. Felt the hotel wasn't kept very clean. Everytime you got on the elevator there was dirt on the floor. If you looked at the corners on the floors they were dirty. Room was average-needs a little updating. Room was clean though. Free breakfast and internet. Overall average.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear rebcgo,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. I am pleased that you found our location convenient and the room accommodations lived up to your expectations. However, I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced. We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit soon to see how we have taken every comment very seriously in order to make your future stays with us as pleasant as possible.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Rochester, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stay at many HI express and this is an average property. We were allowed to check in early, which I much appreciate, room was in a quiet lower corner, and very clean, comfortable. Clean pool area, good location to casino and other Tampa attractions, interstates. A bit questionable location a few blocks away, be careful. Nice breakfast, cheeful staff, but a little overpriced I thought for a weeknight, not even at a holiday time. I could see how this could be a noisy place on a weekend, with a fairgrounds event or casino crowd. But I would def stay again during week, not sure about a weekend though.

Room Tip: upper floor, corner if busy,
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Valdosta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL.

I am a Platinum Member with Priority Club and generally stay at Holiday Inn or IHC branded hotels. I had won tickets to a concert at the Fairgrounds and decided to use some of my points to stay at this hotel because it is right across the road. BIG MISTAKE.

This hotel clearly caters to the concert and casino crowds. Halls smelled of vomit and alcohol. The common areas were disruptively noisy. The room that my wife and I were booked into smelled very musty. When we arrived back at the room following the show, we found mold on the wall, the bed, and the other furniture. One of the stairways had puddles on the landing; water was clearly leaking in the ceiling of the stairwell and there is mildew and mold throughout the stairway.

On the positive side, we left around midnight and they did not charge me for the stay - I can only assume that is because 1) I am a Platinum member and 2) I vehemently insisted that they not charge me one dime.
We ended up driving to Clearwater to a hotel that I KNEW was clean and affordable.

This place should NOT be a Holiday Inn; it is more in line with Knights Inn and Motel 6.

Again, DO NOT STAY HERE!!

Room Tip: This is a no-brainer; book a room at a different hotel. There is a La Quinta next door; try them.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Tim H,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and being our valued Priority rewards Platinum member. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. We sincerely apologize for the condition of the hotel and room accommodations you received which was less than satisfactory. However, I am happy to read we have addressed the matters in a timely matter. Your comments have been passed to the respective departments in order to avoid these unnecessary issues in the future. We are continually striving to improve the hospitality we offer, and comments from our guests are always welcome.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Biloxi, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Fantastic hotel experience, friendly & helpful staff, upscale amenities, and everything I could possibly need during my 6 day stay in Tampa. The hotel is spotless & well-maintained, many resources available & luxurious surroundings. Will definitely be back. Highly recommend ! They've thought of it ALL !!! Special thanks to everyone at the hotel ! You're an efficient team who go above & beyond !!! I especially appreciated the attention of the front desk staff. They greeted me each time I arrived or departed & asked if I needed anything. Keep up the good work ! It all matters so much. WOW !!!! Lynne R, Biloxi, MS

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Statesboro, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We arrived in the afternoon to be pleasantly surprised. The hotel was beautiful, well maintained and the staff was amazing. Hotels with this value are rare in Tampa and Orlando. We will be back regularly......R&B, Statesboro

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mount Dora, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Wrote a recent review of the Rocky Point Holiday Inn express and corporate wrote a note on Trip advisor to follow up. Ironically corporate had promised me satisfaction previously yet the local property failed to comply with what corporate said they would do. Guess every one forgot. in fact the Manager never even did contact me. This location was an altenative place to stay and was great. Had an upgraded room and everything was excellent. Highly recommend this location!

Room Tip: I would expect any accomodation to be great at this location.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel after our reservations was lost at the casino, and never regretted it. Wonderful staff with clean rooms, great continental breakfast. I would have given it a 5 dots, had it not been for the noisy kids above us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Tampa Fairgrounds? Share your experiences!