“Surprise!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #62 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Statesboro, Georgia
“Surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We arrived in the afternoon to be pleasantly surprised. The hotel was beautiful, well maintained and the staff was amazing. Hotels with this value are rare in Tampa and Orlando. We will be back regularly......R&B, Statesboro

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

99 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Mount Dora, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Wrote a recent review of the Rocky Point Holiday Inn express and corporate wrote a note on Trip advisor to follow up. Ironically corporate had promised me satisfaction previously yet the local property failed to comply with what corporate said they would do. Guess every one forgot. in fact the Manager never even did contact me. This location was an altenative place to stay and was great. Had an upgraded room and everything was excellent. Highly recommend this location!

Room Tip: I would expect any accomodation to be great at this location.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel after our reservations was lost at the casino, and never regretted it. Wonderful staff with clean rooms, great continental breakfast. I would have given it a 5 dots, had it not been for the noisy kids above us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Pinellas Park, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

There was only one drawback to this hotel, and it had nothing to do with the staff or the hotel itself. The people staying there were inconsiderate, loud and thought listening to music at 4:00am was acceptable behavior. The staff was cheerful and helpful, and the shuttle service was a real plus. Great location and extremely clean.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kissimmee, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed at this hotel last year and it was great. The room next to us had a lot of kids with no adult present. They bounced around and yelled really loud. No problem, as we had children ourselves and remember back then. At a little after 10PM we heard a lady come into the room yelled at the kids, must have put them to bed but turned the TV on very loud. After 11 PM I called the front desk and the TV went down for a while. Then the TV went loud again and the kids woke up and it was unbearable. I called again at 11:45 PM and said that we were either leaving or needed another room. We were moved two doors down and went to bed when all hell broke loose with kids again. We called again and the desk clerk came up. She agreed and knocked on the door for quite a while before they heard her. Finally they opened the door and a girl around 8 or 10 years came out and gave the clerk a big hug. The desk clerk yelled at them and said that things would be OK now. Seeing that She was probably babysitting two rooms full of kids We had enough and checked out at 12:25 AM and drove back to Kissimmee. No room refund or discount offered.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnFair, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Hello Ronald.
Thank you for taking time to advise us about the noise situation that you experienced. I am looking at the phone service in that room to get it in better working order. In addition, I am in the process of refunding your room fees for the night. We certainly would like to think that our guests are respectful of their neighbors, however it seems that your experience did not reflect that. I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future as your experience was not one that is normal for us. Please let me know personally if I can assist you further.
Theresa White, General Manager
East Chicago, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I happen to travel a lot and cannot begin to say enough about Theresa White and her staff. I travel to this area a few times a year, but back in 2008/2009 I was there almost every week for 6-8 months and they made you feel like you were at home. Me and my team would leave early and Theresa and her team always made sure we had something to eat prior to us leaving before the breakfast area was even open.

I have choices but with this type of service i have no reason to book anywhere else.

Thanks,
Rick Gard

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Vienna, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed at this hotel during the Republican National Convention. I was working during the convention and my employer booked most of the rooms in the hotel for my company.

I arrived late in the evening - around 1am. I was checked in quickly and efficiently. The room was a decent size.

Breakfast each morning was the typical hotel breakfast. Everything I ate tasted good, but I can't vouch for the healthiness of the food.

The hotel manager was always walking around and asking if everything was okay which was nice. You normally don't see a hotel manager so frequently. The hotel was clean and I have no complaints about the service.

I did use the hotel gym twice. There were several machines that served their purpose.

There was an iron, ironing board and hairdryer in the room... all things that I used every day and was appreciative for.

In the late afternoon / early evenings the hotel staff would put complimentary popcorn and fresh baked cookies out in the lobby. There was also an alcove in the lobby that housed all sorts of food for purchase... candy, chips, microwaveable foods, etc.

I liked the room's setup in that there was a desk and comfortable office chair where I set up my laptop. Unlike many hotels, there were many visible power outlets so I was able to plug everything in without moving furniture and crawling around looking for a free outlet.

The hotel internet access left much to be desired. I was traveling with my personal laptop and a company laptop. Most of us had trouble accessing the program that allows us to check our company e-mail. The wifi signal was strong and let me do everything else (surf the web, watch online videos, check personal e-mail), but something would cause the company e-mail to crash every few minutes. It got to the point where I would have to log in a dozen times in an hour which was a little ridiculous.

Unfortunately, there wasn't much close to the hotel. There is a Five Guys next door which I visited for lunch one day simply because I didn't have a company car and it was the only thing closeby. Our company provided hourly shuttles from the hotel, but we had to take cabs from the airport since this hotel does not provide an airport shuttle. (Cab from TPA was $47 including the tip.)

I doubt I will ever have a reason to stay at this hotel again mainly based on the location. There are hotels in more accessible areas that cost the same amount, so I would stay elsewhere next time. I didn't have a choice for this trip. The hotel itself was clean and adequate.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
HolidayInnFair, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Hello Debsfree7777!
Thank you for staying with us and taking time to post your comments. It always helps to hear specific details about both positive things and items we need to work on. I hope you come back again soon!
Theresa White, General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Express Tampa Fairgrounds? Share your experiences!