“Wrecked Weekend” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #65 of 158 hotels in Tampa
Kissimmee, Florida
“Wrecked Weekend”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed at this hotel last year and it was great. The room next to us had a lot of kids with no adult present. They bounced around and yelled really loud. No problem, as we had children ourselves and remember back then. At a little after 10PM we heard a lady come into the room yelled at the kids, must have put them to bed but turned the TV on very loud. After 11 PM I called the front desk and the TV went down for a while. Then the TV went loud again and the kids woke up and it was unbearable. I called again at 11:45 PM and said that we were either leaving or needed another room. We were moved two doors down and went to bed when all hell broke loose with kids again. We called again and the desk clerk came up. She agreed and knocked on the door for quite a while before they heard her. Finally they opened the door and a girl around 8 or 10 years came out and gave the clerk a big hug. The desk clerk yelled at them and said that things would be OK now. Seeing that She was probably babysitting two rooms full of kids We had enough and checked out at 12:25 AM and drove back to Kissimmee. No room refund or discount offered.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnFair, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Hello Ronald.
Thank you for taking time to advise us about the noise situation that you experienced. I am looking at the phone service in that room to get it in better working order. In addition, I am in the process of refunding your room fees for the night. We certainly would like to think that our guests are respectful of their neighbors, however it seems that your experience did not reflect that. I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future as your experience was not one that is normal for us. Please let me know personally if I can assist you further.

91 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
East Chicago, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I happen to travel a lot and cannot begin to say enough about Theresa White and her staff. I travel to this area a few times a year, but back in 2008/2009 I was there almost every week for 6-8 months and they made you feel like you were at home. Me and my team would leave early and Theresa and her team always made sure we had something to eat prior to us leaving before the breakfast area was even open.

I have choices but with this type of service i have no reason to book anywhere else.

Thanks,
Rick Gard

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Vienna, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed at this hotel during the Republican National Convention. I was working during the convention and my employer booked most of the rooms in the hotel for my company.

I arrived late in the evening - around 1am. I was checked in quickly and efficiently. The room was a decent size.

Breakfast each morning was the typical hotel breakfast. Everything I ate tasted good, but I can't vouch for the healthiness of the food.

The hotel manager was always walking around and asking if everything was okay which was nice. You normally don't see a hotel manager so frequently. The hotel was clean and I have no complaints about the service.

I did use the hotel gym twice. There were several machines that served their purpose.

There was an iron, ironing board and hairdryer in the room... all things that I used every day and was appreciative for.

In the late afternoon / early evenings the hotel staff would put complimentary popcorn and fresh baked cookies out in the lobby. There was also an alcove in the lobby that housed all sorts of food for purchase... candy, chips, microwaveable foods, etc.

I liked the room's setup in that there was a desk and comfortable office chair where I set up my laptop. Unlike many hotels, there were many visible power outlets so I was able to plug everything in without moving furniture and crawling around looking for a free outlet.

The hotel internet access left much to be desired. I was traveling with my personal laptop and a company laptop. Most of us had trouble accessing the program that allows us to check our company e-mail. The wifi signal was strong and let me do everything else (surf the web, watch online videos, check personal e-mail), but something would cause the company e-mail to crash every few minutes. It got to the point where I would have to log in a dozen times in an hour which was a little ridiculous.

Unfortunately, there wasn't much close to the hotel. There is a Five Guys next door which I visited for lunch one day simply because I didn't have a company car and it was the only thing closeby. Our company provided hourly shuttles from the hotel, but we had to take cabs from the airport since this hotel does not provide an airport shuttle. (Cab from TPA was $47 including the tip.)

I doubt I will ever have a reason to stay at this hotel again mainly based on the location. There are hotels in more accessible areas that cost the same amount, so I would stay elsewhere next time. I didn't have a choice for this trip. The hotel itself was clean and adequate.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
HolidayInnFair, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Hello Debsfree7777!
Thank you for staying with us and taking time to post your comments. It always helps to hear specific details about both positive things and items we need to work on. I hope you come back again soon!
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This Holiday Inn Express was sufficient for our needs. But for over $125 dollars could of stayed beach side somewhere, but my sister was a Hard Rock winner so she paid, I played. This particular property did have a mildewy smell but only in the halls I thought. The staff were very friendly. I especially enjoyed the breakfast, hot cinammon rolls and a pancake station are different. This hotel is in a great location if going to the casino, and they have a shuttle bus so that sold us. I also enjoyed their toiletries. There lotion was very pleasant..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Hello Brandon Guest!
Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking time to post your comments. We appreciate the business and look forward to having you come back.
Brandon, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed one night and were very impressed with the hotel overall. The location is perfect if you're going to a concert or the casino. The shuttle is an added bonus. Our room was clean, the staff was fantastic, and they had more choices for breakfast than I expected! However, the best part was the bed. You won't find the typical flimsy, uncomfortable mattress or pillows here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Holiday Inn Express hotels are one of our hotels of choice but we were disappointed with our stay at this particular property. The hotel looks great from the outside but the rooms are very, very mildewy-musty smelling. Perhaps if we had had a room with an "even" number it could have been better as that was the sunny side of the hotel. It seems the air-coditioners continue to blow cold musty air as if they are in desperate need of cleaning. This hotel is in a great location as it is exactly across the street from the Fairgrounds entrance and they also provide a free shuttle to the Hard Rock Casino. If you decide to stay here, you will get a great breakfast, so ask for a room on a high floor with an even number.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Express Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear peanutsNewYork,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am glad that you liked our location and you found our staff service commendable. Please accept my sincerest apology for the room issues you experienced. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource of improving guest services.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Davie, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I just took my son and his two friends to a rock festival at the Florida Fairgrounds located right across the street from the Holiday Inn. It was reasonably priced, although I worried what kind of neighborhood it was going to be in as it was so close to the Fairgrounds and it was reasonably priced (which is unusual for Florida hotels). I was pleasantly surprised. Firstly, it was right across from the Fairgrounds, so the boys could walk across the street to the Fairgrounds for the festival and then I followed them later in the day after relaxing in my comfy hotel room! The hotel staff was friendly and courteous. The rooms (we had reserved 2) were both clean and neat and well appointed, with a little microwave and fridge. It was perfect for our needs. Our reservation included a free buffet breakfast that included eggs, bacon, biscuits, bagels, pancakes and cereal. It was great that I could feed the boys before we hit the road in the morning. I should have known to expect quality from a great name like Holiday Inn. I am fairly picky about economy hotels, but I will definitely be staying here again in September for the next festival at the fairgrounds.

Room Tip: Odd numbers face the main street, even numbers face the back of the property. There is no 'good...