“If casino bound....recommend this hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #64 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“If casino bound....recommend this hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We selected this hotel because it was close to the casino and ran a shuttle to the casino. We weren't disappointed. The shuttle was truly a plus. It left on time, took us over even when it wasn't time for a run and all you had to do was call and they zipped right back over to pick you up.

Customer service at this hotel is wonderfu. I don't have names...the shuttle driver was awesome, the gentleman working the desk Friday evening (June 22) made sure we all caught the shuttle and the young lady in charge of the breakfast area did a wonderfu job. Darling also provided excellent service throughout the weekend.

The room had all the usual....frig, microwave etc. The room was clean and the bathroom spotless. My only complaint....the room was well vacuumed however the carpet was stained and dirty. Our socks were black on the bottom in no time. The hallways were not vacuumed. The carpets could use a good cleaning. Rest of the hotel....spotless.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Fairfield, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Dear Tarisha,Our stay in Holiday Inn when we were at Hindu Priest Lecture from 2 June thru 10 June was very comfortable and hospitality was excellent.. The staff were very cooperative and polite, Also all van drivers have been excellent. Specially we enjoyed 4pm Popcorn break. Thank you so much for taking care of us. We have a very good memories of this hotel. Jayant and Pushpa Patel Rm 219

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Spring Hill, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

My husband and I decided to stay here for our anniversary and to have some alone adult time .........after JUST coming home from the Holiday Inn, I have to say that I will NEVER stay there again....the best thing about our stay was the shuttle driver Norton. He made our stay worth it. When we first got to the hotel, there were 2 girls at the desk, (one with a guest the other standing there just talking) took about 8 minutes to even GREET us and as the 1 girl stood there talking to the other, my husband were standing there staring at each other. When we finally got to our room, it SMELLED and was damp. When we told the maintenance man all he did was come up to the room and spray some knockoff Fabreeze.....(i could have done that) and that didnt help but we were told "that there were no other rooms for us" and that was that, we had to deal with it. We paid $179 a night for a Jacuzzi tub in our room and it was just gross....after cleaning the bathtub myself with bleach it still was not relaxing. The tub it self looked as if it was going to fall through the floor. The beds in the room were MISERABLY hard...i get that its a hotel but come on. My husband and i asked for some extra pillows and we were told that "there arent any"....how do you not have extra pillows for your "guests"? When we called down to the front desk to ask for some information the girls seemed to have better things to do than to help us. (rude). The only thing that kept us at this hotel (besides the fact that they already took the $340 to pay for my 2 nights) was Norton.....he was AMAZING, always nice, energetic, fantastic people skills and was an over all great person! He made us feel comfortable and never seemed like we were bothering him. (unlike the girls at the front desk) He went above and beyond to help us, answer any questions we had and just chit chat with us. The random slamming doors we heard throughout the night didnt help either. I personally will never stay at this hotel ever again....id rather sleep in my car.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnFair, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Thank you for taking time to post a comment about our hotel. I would like the opportunity to speak with you in person so I can determine which staff members were specifically involved with your check-in process. Customer service is very important to us and I'd like to address this specifically with them. If you would call me, I'd appreciate it. (813) 490-1000

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I stayed at this property for 9 nights, as part of a larger group. We had basically commondered this hotel for our own use, with approx 30 guests in total staying at the hotel.

The rooms were run of the mill Holiday Inn Express (ie nice/functional) but what really made this property STICK OUT is the staff. Every single person we met (General Manager, Front Desk staff, Night Auditor, cleaning staff, housekeeping, shuttle driver) was so friendly and hospitable. They were always willing to cater to our needs...which made it feel like home!

Thanks to the GM and her lovely staff (especially Lauren) for their dedication and hard work...and keep it up!!

Room Tip: The nicest rooms are located on the ground floor (high ceilings).
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind words. We really do work hard to make sure that our hotel is a comfortable place to stay for ou guests. I hope you come back and see us again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is clean, the staff is friendly, it's in a great location and very affordable. I was there 4 nights!

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Martinsville, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I am not even going to go into the fundamentals of hospitality management/ front desk ops. The walls in this hotel are paper thin and the headboards share a wall. When I checked in about 5pm I was hoping to get some work done before dinner, but instead got a play-by-play of the events in the adjoining room...good to know you can get an "escort" delivered in about a half an hour. There were numerous other scantily clad teenagers littering the property, screaming and banging on doors. There were numerous folks in the check out line who were claiming their stay-deposit as they chose not to use a proper name or credit card when they checked in. In addition, the porcelain tub was chipped in so many spots it made me wonder, who travels with a hammer large enough to do this damage? The carpet was filthy and the property is a mess, but the clientele is what really leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
HolidayInnFair, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tampa Fairgrounds, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
I apologize that your stay wasn't as you exprected and appreciate you taking the time to post this comment.

montreal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Sitting in the lobby of the hotel waiting for a taxi as the hotel doesn't have a shuttle to the airport -- only in rare circumstances I'm told. Personnel not in the spirit of service to guests. I'm talking about a genuine smile, not the fake "how is your breakfast" when your mouth is full. And if you do plan to go to this hotel, don't stay more than a few days as eventually the breakfast will turn your stomach just to look at it. Room was nice but already showing its age(?) chips in bath countertop

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Hello Montreal Guest,

I am so sorry to that my staff''s interactions with you were less than professional; it is not normal for any of them to address a guest while they have food in their mouth and I will discuss with them the company policy of not eating unless they are on break at our next team meeting. I will say that I am proud of our complimentary breakfast buffet and we do rotate our hot items to help avoid the "monotony" that you mentioned. If you have any suggestions for other items that we could rotate in, I would love to hear from you; another creative thought always helps. As far as the chips in the countertop go, I'd like to investigaate this and would ask you to contact me at the hotel with information on your room number so I can personally take a look and determine what actions we need to take to correct the problem.

Thanks for your feedback!

Theresa White

Been to Holiday Inn Express Tampa Fairgrounds? Share your experiences!