“Beautiful boutique hotel but needs improvement on the management end” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Epicurean Hotel

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #20 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Tampa, Florida
“Beautiful boutique hotel but needs improvement on the management end”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Ever since The Epicurean broke ground on South Howard, my husband and I have been anticipating the addition of the hotel to the Hyde Park area. We're huge Tampa enthusiasts and especially love the charm of that area so for my husband’s 30th birthday, we decided to celebrate by planning a staycation at The Epicurean. We visited the hotel a month in advance and asked for a tour of their suite which helped us to confirm our decision; I booked the room as soon as we returned home.
The day before our stay, I received an automated check-in e-mail; however, upon reviewing the details, I realized we were downgraded to a smaller suite. I called the hotel to confirm the details and eventually was transferred to the manager who informed me that the family who was in the suite leading up to the weekend decided to extend their stay and therefore, our reservation was changed. We hadn’t received a call or e-mail from the hotel informing us of the change and while the manager advised that $50.00 was taken off of the rate, that was simply an adjustment to charge us for what the (smaller) room was worth.
While the manager was apologetic, he didn’t seem too concerned with the issue and simply asked me to let him know if we wanted to cancel our reservation (great way to lose a loyal customer). At this point I was irate and called my husband to discuss the options. My husband called back the manager to see if we had any other options and eventually the manager offered to further adjust the balance for our inconvenience but again, didn’t seem empathetic with the situation or the principal.
While the hotel lived up to expectations and our room was charming, the weekend was somewhat overshadowed by the terrible experience leading up to it.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
EpicureanHotel, General Manager at Epicurean Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
I am happy to hear that you were pleased with the Epicurean hotel but disappointed that our customer service did not live up to your expectations. I would like to have the opportunity to speak with you personally about this matter. If you would like to contact me directly at 813-999-8701, I would be happy to talk with you about your experience.

Tom Haines

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Lakeland, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

This hotel was everything it promised on the websites and more. We had two rooms and both were roomy, very modern, and the rain showers in the bathroom were a hit too. The beautiful rooms, eclectic food, & hotel staff were really amazing. It has everything you need on site (spa, bar, eatery, wine shop, and even a chocolate shop. If you want to venture out they have bikes to sign out as well. We walked a few blocks for brunch and then had an awesome time shopping at the Old Hyde Park shops. Many of us want to bring our spouses back to stay. If I were to give one negative comment I would say the rooftop bar in the summer is a bummer. It's just too hot and there were bugs out. They needed fans. However, all six of us were so thrilled with everything about this place.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
EpicureanHotel, General Manager at Epicurean Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Thank you for your lovely review. It is always a pleasure to hear from our guests who have stayed with us for a special occasion and truly had a memorable experience. I am happy to hear you were able to venture out and explore the neighborhood. We have so much to offer our guests here on property that many guests simply do not have the time to head out into our South Tampa neighborhood. Plan your next girl’s getaway with us soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

We stayed here because we were eating at Berns this is a excellent
Hotel! Only a year old so everything is very classy ! Rooms are large with all the extras, service is terrific. Your wish is granted! Good location.Easy off I 275. !
Had breakfast there nice selection of omlets and pastries !

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great review! I love to hear our guests have enjoyed themselves while staying with us. Our team is top-notch and are delighted to make sure each and every guest has a memorable experience. I hope you will return for another celebration soon!

naples fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

First the bad, and only one bad: Mandatory valet parking, $15. Sorry I just don't like strangers driving my ride.

About the hotel. Perfectly situated across the street from Bern's a must for dinner, the hotel is beautifully appointed in a wine, vineyards theme. The bed was very comfortable and the shower had an interesting 2 head configuration. Check in with the receptionist and she'll walk you to your room with an IPad in hand to do the checkin process. Highly recommend, but the valet parking issue doesn't sit with me.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Here at the Epicurean, we strive to provide our guests with a completely unique experience. We’ve designed our guest rooms with the travelling foodie in mind. And our check in process is something that is truly unique to the Epicurean.
Our parking situation is a little tricky as we have a limited amount of parking due to the congestion in our neighborhood. Having limited spaces to work with, the only way for us to manage this is to provide valet parking for every guest. We know that this is not ideal for everyone, but it is the best solution. We hope that this will not dissuade you from returning.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

The hotel is beautiful and very modern. The bed was extremely comfortable. Loved the whole vibe. The customer service was outstanding. Everything is conveniently located. Will definitely be coming back. Reservations at Élevage and Evangeline are a must.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
EpicureanHotel, General Manager at Epicurean Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Thank you fro you review!. I always love hearing from guests who had a lovely time during their stay with us. I am also glad you had the chance to take out one of our complimentary bicycles for a cruise on Bay Shore Blvd, one of Tampa's most beautiful features. I hope you make a return trip soon!

Orlando, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

My fiance and I have stayed at this beautiful hotel before, and we decided to come back and I'm glad we did. Last time we stayed here the hotel just opened and some areas were unfinished. This time around the pool was finished up, a lot of decor and additional furniture had been added. We used valet parking and the valet guys are super efficient and our car was always up within 5 minutes. We had a couple of drinks at the bar Elevage and the bartender was very friendly and helpful. The entire staff we encountered was very friendly and hospitable. We also used their complimentary bikes to take a ride on Bayshore Boulevard, which is only a few minutes from the hotel and it was perfect. If you are looking for a modern, upscale, but still down to earth atmosphere hotel than this is the place to be. This is definitely one of my new favorite hotels.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
EpicureanHotel, General Manager at Epicurean Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
It is always so fantastic to hear from our repeat guests! I am glad you were able to take our bicycles out for a spin on Bayshore Blvd. There is so much to see and do in our neighborhood and I'm happy you were able to experience a bit of it. We all hope you return soon as there is always something new here at the Epicurean!

Tallahassee, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

The Epicurean Hotel is a paradise for foodies. It is unlike any other place I have ever been. The hotel itself is very nice and I love how everything is close by. You can dine at Bern's right across the street or in the hotel's own restaurant, Elevage. We ate dinner and brunch at Elevage and both were excellent. The quality was very good for the price. We grabbed dessert at Chocolate Pi and also visited the spa on our visit. I can't wait to return and attend an event at the Epicurean Theatre!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
EpicureanHotel, General Manager at Epicurean Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
It is so great to hear that you cannot wait to return! We have developed the Epicurean with the foodie in mind and I am glad you enjoyed it! The Epicurean Theatre's schedule of classes is always changing and updating; offering something for everyone! Don't stay away too long!

Tom Haines

Been to Epicurean Hotel? Share your experiences!