“Excellent - again!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Orlando, Florida, United States
“Excellent - again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

My fiance and I have stayed at this beautiful hotel before, and we decided to come back and I'm glad we did. Last time we stayed here the hotel just opened and some areas were unfinished. This time around the pool was finished up, a lot of decor and additional furniture had been added. We used valet parking and the valet guys are super efficient and our car was always up within 5 minutes. We had a couple of drinks at the bar Elevage and the bartender was very friendly and helpful. The entire staff we encountered was very friendly and hospitable. We also used their complimentary bikes to take a ride on Bayshore Boulevard, which is only a few minutes from the hotel and it was perfect. If you are looking for a modern, upscale, but still down to earth atmosphere hotel than this is the place to be. This is definitely one of my new favorite hotels.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
EpicureanHotel, General Manager at Epicurean Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
It is always so fantastic to hear from our repeat guests! I am glad you were able to take our bicycles out for a spin on Bayshore Blvd. There is so much to see and do in our neighborhood and I'm happy you were able to experience a bit of it. We all hope you return soon as there is always something new here at the Epicurean!

Tom Haines

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Tallahassee, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

The Epicurean Hotel is a paradise for foodies. It is unlike any other place I have ever been. The hotel itself is very nice and I love how everything is close by. You can dine at Bern's right across the street or in the hotel's own restaurant, Elevage. We ate dinner and brunch at Elevage and both were excellent. The quality was very good for the price. We grabbed dessert at Chocolate Pi and also visited the spa on our visit. I can't wait to return and attend an event at the Epicurean Theatre!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
EpicureanHotel, General Manager at Epicurean Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
It is so great to hear that you cannot wait to return! We have developed the Epicurean with the foodie in mind and I am glad you enjoyed it! The Epicurean Theatre's schedule of classes is always changing and updating; offering something for everyone! Don't stay away too long!

Oviedo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

There is no question that I love food. I spend my money on it like it is my second mortgage but the real estate gets bigger and is called my belt size. We went to the Epicurean for the sole purpose to eat at their restaurant. For heaven's sake their pillows have forks and spoons on them. We sat down and after dealing with a small issue of a correct table (we were seated in a small table with an empty restaurant) we had the best dinner ever. Bone marrow with my steak was like having sex but with flavors. We loved our stay. We had wine and their salad was fresh with a remix of ingredients you do not see anywhere else. Loved it and I would not lie if I did not. 5 dots and 10 if I could.

Room Tip: The showers are amazing even in the lower end rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
EpicureanHotel, General Manager at Epicurean Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
It is so fantastic to hear you thoroughly enjoyed dining in Élevage. All of us here at the Epicurean strive to provide foodies like yourself a culinary destination which will surprise and delight each time you stay and will hopefully keep you coming back again and again. Keep an eye out; our menus are always changing and evolving. We can’t wait to have you stay with us again!

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We're stayed at several "trendy" hotels which are definitely style over substance. This property hits the balance right on the nose. Check in was professional and still friendly. When I asked for a different room, our request was handled promptly despite almost being booked up. Our first room assigned was on the corner right near the rooftop bar and we could hear the music from the hallway. This being one of the knocks on the hotel I've read, I asked for another room. They advised me that they now require room keys to get to guest floors after 5PM and that has reduced the complaints of people walking the halls to find the bar.

The room itself was wonderful. The only thing strange was that the "desk" was almost a high-top level which made working on a computer feel like you were sitting at a bar.

Wi-fi was free and functioned well. Shower was a dual head with option between rain shower and regular shower, both had good water pressure and plenty of hot water.

There was a bit of street noise but nothing to bother us. You could also hear the louder conversations in the hallway. We had the room behind the elevator but heard no elevator noise whatsoever.

The only hiccup was that I booked a Breakfast included -10% rate with Marriott Rewards. I had to remind her at checkin that I was supposed to get breakfast. She looked and said that I was and she was sorry for overlooking that. She then noticed that they were out of vouchers, which was quickly fixed. At on the voucher it said that for breakfast the lobster and/or steak dishes were excluded. However the next morning, the restaurant manager did let us order what we wanted and we only had to pay a small up-charge.

We would stay there again if the opportunity arose.

Room Tip: I'd still stay away from rooms on the 4th floor near the Edge bar.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your complimentary review. I always enjoy hearing how much our guests enjoy their stay. I’m glad you had the opportunity to enjoy breakfast in Élevage. I hope you will return soon to experience EDGE, our rooftop bar, and our culinary classroom, The Epicurean Theatre. Thank you again for your lovely review!

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for the second time last week. At this point it will always be my go to hotel while staying in Tampa. I mean it's not along the water but unless your by the ocean in St. Petersburg, staying by the water isn't that important to me. I have many many great things to say and maybe 2 not so good things BUT those two not so good things aren't deal breakers at all.
So the good....And there is a lot of good to say. First off, the decor of the lobby is great. It's very wine themed (hence the name Epicurean) and bright which makes for a warm welcome. The staff was helpful in checking in and I do like the fact that if you get a roaming check in person, they will personally take you up to your room and show you around it. On my first stay I wasn't thrilled with the room location, so we went around looking for a better room and they were incredibly nice about it. I can be a pain when it comes to room locations only because I am staying for work and like to have the perfect room. What I did find is that all the rooms are pretty perfect and spacious. It's a very modern and clean room with all the amenities one would need in the room. I found it also very quiet and had nice rests all nights I stayed there. I like the coffee maker in the room and the mini bar options are great and pretty higher end (again it's called the Epicurean for a reason). The bathroom has a shower stall with nice pressure and spacious as well. Love it. I only have two kind of mini gripes and that is, I wish the lighting was slightly better and I wish there was an actual room service menu that I could look at. Instead, you can download their app and see it on there or have a menu brought up to you. I get the concept of a hotel using 21st century technology in their rooms and property but I still would have liked to just have a room service menu right in front of me. Again, not the end of the world but I hated having to search the room for one. Oh and my third sort of con is the dresser (or lack of) situation. There really isn't one. You have to use the bedside tables drawers as your dresser. I'm starting to think this is a trend in newer hotels because this is the second hotel I've stayed at that did dressers this way. It works I guess but kind of like a more dedicated dresser.
Ok. So enough about the room itself. Let's talk food. It's called the Epicurean for a reason. That reason is that the food they serve is not typical and has a nice contemporary American menu. They do have burgers BUT the food itself is creative and so so nice to not see a typical hotel menu at the restaurant. I usually have a rule when I travel and that is to NOT eat at the hotel restaurant because I like to explore the local food and bar scene but honestly this is probably one of the few hotels where I felt totally ok eating at the property. The dinner I had there was one of the best I had in Tampa. As for breakfast, it's pretty good. I will say that the pistachio french toast is AMAZING. It's the one menu item I could not resist and I am pretty good at resisting tempting foods. While on the topic of temptation, the rooftop bar is a nice place to hang out and relax when it's a little quieter. The bartender (s) make really really good drinks which I was kind of surprised with. I guess I thought, oh a rooftop bar. They don't need to make good drinks because it's on a roof and people will come. Oh how wrong I was. The drinks were great and sooooo glad that I could get good meals and great drinks all in one place.
I should have mentioned this earlier when talking about the lobby but there is also a wine shop right by the elevators. I mean to me that is awesome and something you don't see much. (Have I said Epicurean enough?) For those who like sweets, there is a Parisian-esque cafe across the way with coffee drinks and desserts of all kinds. Yes. I went. Go for a late afternoon treat.
Lastly, the location is pretty perfect. It's on South Howard (or SoHo I think) where there are tons of bars and restaurants. I was told I was staying in the best area for that sort of attraction and it was.
I don't think I have to sum up how I feel about this place. All positives from the great staff to the room and food. When in Tampa, I will be back.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
EpicureanHotel, General Manager at Epicurean Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you for your kind and constructive review. You have nicely articulated what our team of Epicureans focus on each and every day. We strive to curate an experience like no other for our guests, leaving them enriched as a result of staying with us. We are proud of the culinary pedigree that we share with Bern’s Steak House and we take very seriously the responsibility of living up to the standard that Bern Laxer established decades ago. I am glad to hear you had the opportunity to experience all of the flavors that we have to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back and curating a new experience for you!

Bridgewater, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We checked into the Epicurian late on a Friday night and were pleasantly greeted by Kelly. She made us feel very welcome and gave us a beautiful room. Each time we were in the lobby and she saw us, she greeted us by name, great service. We stayed here for 5 nights and found the staff to be so attentive to us every time we were in a public area. Being from Boston, we were thrilled the valet was only $15 day and each time we needed to retrieve our car they were very quick with the delivery. If you enjoy food and wine, this is a must stay hotel. The front desk have wine encased in glass and the back wall and ceiling were all panels from wine boxes. I thought it looked amazing. They also have a great wine store on property with a great selection.
Each afternoon when we arrived back they had flavored ice water which was a nice touch. Staff was always quick with the hellos and asking if we needed anything. The housekeeping staff took great care with our room which was perfect when we arrived and perfect everyday. Since it is a new hotel, they have two buttons on the wall inside your room,if you want service you press the one that reads "make up room" and outside your room lights up green, if you do not want to be disturbed it lights up red, very convenient.
The area is very safe and within walking distance to great casual dining. I will return and will recommended this wonderful property. They have their act together! Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
EpicureanHotel, General Manager at Epicurean Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for your great review! I am happy to hear you were with us for so long and were able to experience all that we have to offer! Kelly is a wonderful asset to our team and I am not at all surprised that she took great care of you. When Boston gets too cold this winter, make sure you escape to sunny Florida and stay with us again!

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Tired of burgers and fries? Well, how would you like to stay across the street from the world's largest private wine cellar? Yep, 100 steps to Bern's Steakhouse. But you'll also find an eclectic menu in the hotel. Rooms are brand new and very interesting. No views from anywhere, but nice accommodations, quiet, comfortable, almost luxurious. Part of the SoHo (South Howard) part of Tampa, with a walk to nightlife. Great location, especially for the younger crowd. But food older people will appreciate. Nice meeting rooms for small business groups.

Room Tip: Back side of the hotel is quieter. A couple of corner rooms are oddly shaped.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! I am glad you had the opportunity to experience and appreciate our menu. We are always striving to impress and intrigue the “foodie” crowd. Our menus are always changing so check back soon!

Tom Haines

Been to Epicurean Hotel? Share your experiences!