“wonderful stay great food, amazing service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #21 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Jordan
“wonderful stay great food, amazing service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

my husband and I spent a very relaxing weekend with other friends from his company. I love the modern feel of the room, yet the small retro touches were very appreciated!(love the phone) The bed was so comfortable and the feather pillows helped me to sleep like I was home! The shower was amazing with the two shower heads, what a treat!. We got several sweets from the little pastry shop across the lobby...the mango layer cake was so buttery and rich, I had to save some for the next day, and the macaroons were crisp and tasty, the flavor combinations I tried were excellent and they were a perfect 2 bite delicacy.The rooftop bar was fun and the staff was very accommodating for our large party. We had a private brunch in the food theatre and one of the chefs showed us how they prepare the pistachio french toast. Homemade Sourdough pistachio bread, with figs and bacon preserves on top with maple syrup! I am glad I saved room for my Shrimp and grits. It was outstanding, the shrimp and egg cooked perfectly, the grits so tasty, wish I could go back just for that. Here is some of the outstanding service. We got back late saturday night and two employees were checking room keys before they would let you up, because there was a wedding party downstairs. Thank you Epicurean! How many times have drunken, loud partying guests kept me aways till all hours. Then here is the part that makes me eternally grateful. I was about 10 minutes from getting on the plane, and realized I left my jewelry pouch in the room in the little safe. I went into full panic mode, as there were several recent gifts as well as several of my mother's pieces that had been handed down. I phoned them before i got on the plane, and when I was able to turn my phone back on several hours later (quite panicked) a nice voicemail was waiting from Latasha saying they had my jewelry safe just call with the info where to send it. We left at 3 on sunday, my fedex pkg arrived wednesday. Thank you so much for everything!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

131 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Loved this hotel. Wine themed from the lobby to each room. Great service and excellent experience. I stayed here one night on a business trip but will definitely go back with my husband for a personal vacation, as I was very impressed with the decor and overall appearance of the hotel. Also, it's worth noting that I ordered breakfast room service and the food was excellent.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
West Palm Beach, Fl.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

My husband and children planned this trip as a Mother's Day Weekend surprise trip in Tampa, we live in West Palm Beach. He booked us a roomy third floor suite with a large kitchen and porch which was very nice. I enjoyed the spa and the wine shop. We had dinner at the hotel and Berns, across the street, both were disappointing. We understood that the new hotel is still working out their issues but felt that there needed to be an in- room directory of the property, not just, "download our site". We have an I- phone but not everyone our age does or wants to have to call the desk to hear room services items. I guess we are old fashioned but what is the harm of letting your guest decide which form of information they are most comfortable with using.

Room Tip: Pick an upper level room, the traffic noise is pretty loud and we were on the third floor!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Concord, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Stayed two nights for our anniversary. Excellent check-in experience and the level of service remained the same during our stay. Breakfast was splendid and the menu changed each day. The pool area is just fine with plenty of space to lounge and swim. We bought a bottle of wine from the store in the hotel. The rooftop bar is cool and the flatbread appetizer was delicious. I recommend the third floor for the same reasons other posters did. We took the complimentary bikes for a ride and went into the downtown area and all the way to Ballast Park along the Bayshore Parkway. An easy walk to the SoHo strip made for a fun evening the first night.

Room Tip: Avoid top floor due to noise from rooftop bar.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Palm Harbor, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Stayed for an anniversary celebration, and we were SO extremely impressed from start to finish. Walking into the lobby, we were greeted immediately by the concierge who led us to our room to make sure that we were completely satisfied. We checked in directly from our (gorgeous) hotel room, and were wholly satisfied from start to finish. We dined at Elevage, and also at Edge, and the food and service at both was amazing. Easily the best hotel experience we both have ever had, hands down. Can't wait to return. Kudos to owners, management, and staff!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Oregon City, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

My husband and I thought we would try something "out of the box" by spending just a little more money to stay at this very unique hotel in the heart of Tampa. We did not regret the decision.
The hotel had some fabulous spaces - mainly the 2nd floor outdoor deck. It was so much fun to have drinks outside after dark looking at the views of the city lights and Tampa skyline. The quality of the food is worth mentioning and is really the star attraction of this property. Other enjoyable amenities come with the location of this property - close to downtown Tampa and attractions, Bern's Steakhouse ( a legend of its own), and being situated on a vibrant street with other great restaurants, all within the beautiful historic Tampa neighborhood of Hyde Park. We explored all of these features on foot, walking, which we love to do!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
South Florida, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

My husband and I thought we would take a nice trip to this hotel for his birthday. Its a new hotel and its part of The Marriott Autograph Collection. Its theme is Food and Wine and you will find it running through out the hotel - from the common areas to the rooms.
Check in was very quick and efficient. We were a bit early and didn't expect to check in right away and were very pleasantly surprised that there was a room ready. We were given our keys and a brief description, from the Front Desk Clerk, about the offerings of the hotel and we were on our way to the room.
Once in our room we noticed some problems. The first one was hair on the bathroom floor. 2nd was the trash can in the bedroom still had trash in it. We are both in the hotel industry so maybe we are a bit more forgiving than we should be so we just ignored and didn't worry about those issues. After a bit more investigating, we noticed there were coffee and tea pods in the room but no coffee machine. We called down to the desk and let them know right away the machine seemed to be missing. They brought one up quickly.
The room is gorgeous. Nice comfy bed, clean linens, flat screen TV, nice robes, nice amenities, good wifi. BUT, the room did have a few problems. First, there is no dresser. The television doesn't swivel so unfortunately you can only watch it while in bed. Water pressure was a lacking a little both mornings. There isn't a full length mirror. The bathroom door is more like a barn door and doesn't provide real privacy (you can hear everything if you no what I mean). The bathroom door is also marking up the wall every time it is opened and closed. Overall we thought it was a quiet hotel but the 2nd morning, at 7:30am, the City started doing work just outside of the hotel and it woke us up. We were hoping to sleep in a little, have breakfast there but instead we checked out and went elsewhere for breakfast.
One of the bigger disappointments are the Menus on the hotels website and on the app you are encouraged to use once you check in. They are not anything like the actual menus the hotel currently offer in the restaurant and bars. Not only are many of the items not on them anymore, overall the amount of choices are limited. I understand this is a newer hotel and I am sure they are still finding out what works and what doesn't but if they have time to "retweet" a Twitter post and/or post daily on FB then they should be able to take the time to have all on line media updated and correct. At the very least, the info/menus should be correct on the App you are encouraged use once you check into a room.
Our first afternoon there we had lunch in the restaurant. It was good and service was pleasant but she brought us the wrong check and we had to flag someone down to get the correct one. Not a big deal but just another "missing the mark" type thing with everything else we were noticing.
We decided to head up to The Edge Rooftop Bar and LOVED IT. The staff there is really outstanding. I must mention Darren - he is a great ambassador for the hotel. Take the time to go up there, relax, talk with the staff, and let them make you one (or 4, lol) of the fabulous drinks they have created. These guys are true mixologists in every sense of the word and take much pride in their work. The drinks are crafted with patience and precision. Yes, they do not carry all of the name brand liquors you may know - what they carry is even better and what they make for you will be even more delicious.
We had dinner at the Bar in the restaurant. Service was fast and friendly. Food was good. My husband had a burger and it was cooked perfectly. I had a Steak Sandwich that was a little heavy on the salt. No biggie. It too was very good. I started with the Bone Marrow and it was very disappointing. It was half of a very large bone, cut length wise, but only had about a tablespoon of marrow in it.
We headed back to our room and decided to grab something from the mini bar. Well, when we opened it we realized it had not been stocked from the person prior to us in that room. We decided just to let the Front Desk deal with it in the morning. We also were not sure if the menu for the Mini Bar was correct given the fact that no other food menu was.
The next morning we decided to head out for breakfast and on our way out we told the Front Desk of the issue with the Mini Bar - as well as the hair on the floor and the trash can not being emptied that we noticed when we checked in the day before. The clerk was very nice and said she would see that it would be taken care of right away. Well, it wasn't. We were out for about an hour and a half and came back to the same not cleaned room and not stocked mini bar. Ok, maybe we didn't give them enough time, maybe it was a busy morning - no biggie. Just another missing the mark moment. We were heading out again for a few hours and thought for sure we would come back to a clean room and stocked mini bar. Nope - same uncleaned room and same not stocked mini bar. The housekeepers were on the floor so my husband asked one of them if they would make up the room while we went down to the restaurant for lunch. This was around 1:45. She said of course and said we would be next. Great! Well guess what? Yep, still not cleaned or stocked after we got back from lunch. We gave up. The hotel obviously was having housekeeping problems that day. My husband finally went and found a housekeeper, around 3:30, and asked for some clean towels. He was handed some. He also inquired about the Mini Bar - at this point we just didn't want to be charged for the missing items. She said she would send someone. A short time later someone finally knocked on the door for the mini bar. We explained it hasn't been stocked and wasn't stocked when we checked in but we weren't sure what all should be in there since all the other menus we have seen are wrong. Well, apparently that menu was wrong too. It was missing a few items but not nearly what we thought. The young man apologized, took an inventory of what needed to be replaced, left for about 10 minutes and came back and had all the items to fill it.
We had dinner at Berns on our 2nd night (loved it!) and decided to end our night with a nightcap at The Edge Bar. Again very enjoyable.
As I mentioned before, we were planning on sleeping in a little and having breakfast at the hotel before we left but with all the early morning noise and the overall disappointment with the hotel, we opted to check out earlier than planned and eat elsewhere. I really hope they can fix the problems. Its a wonderful concept for a hotel. Will we give it another chance? Maybe - I am not sure what the deciding factor will be. Maybe they just need some more time to work out the kinks...........and there are a lot of kinks.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Epicurean Hotel? Share your experiences!