“Missed the mark so many times.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #19 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
South Florida, Florida
“Missed the mark so many times.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

My husband and I thought we would take a nice trip to this hotel for his birthday. Its a new hotel and its part of The Marriott Autograph Collection. Its theme is Food and Wine and you will find it running through out the hotel - from the common areas to the rooms.
Check in was very quick and efficient. We were a bit early and didn't expect to check in right away and were very pleasantly surprised that there was a room ready. We were given our keys and a brief description, from the Front Desk Clerk, about the offerings of the hotel and we were on our way to the room.
Once in our room we noticed some problems. The first one was hair on the bathroom floor. 2nd was the trash can in the bedroom still had trash in it. We are both in the hotel industry so maybe we are a bit more forgiving than we should be so we just ignored and didn't worry about those issues. After a bit more investigating, we noticed there were coffee and tea pods in the room but no coffee machine. We called down to the desk and let them know right away the machine seemed to be missing. They brought one up quickly.
The room is gorgeous. Nice comfy bed, clean linens, flat screen TV, nice robes, nice amenities, good wifi. BUT, the room did have a few problems. First, there is no dresser. The television doesn't swivel so unfortunately you can only watch it while in bed. Water pressure was a lacking a little both mornings. There isn't a full length mirror. The bathroom door is more like a barn door and doesn't provide real privacy (you can hear everything if you no what I mean). The bathroom door is also marking up the wall every time it is opened and closed. Overall we thought it was a quiet hotel but the 2nd morning, at 7:30am, the City started doing work just outside of the hotel and it woke us up. We were hoping to sleep in a little, have breakfast there but instead we checked out and went elsewhere for breakfast.
One of the bigger disappointments are the Menus on the hotels website and on the app you are encouraged to use once you check in. They are not anything like the actual menus the hotel currently offer in the restaurant and bars. Not only are many of the items not on them anymore, overall the amount of choices are limited. I understand this is a newer hotel and I am sure they are still finding out what works and what doesn't but if they have time to "retweet" a Twitter post and/or post daily on FB then they should be able to take the time to have all on line media updated and correct. At the very least, the info/menus should be correct on the App you are encouraged use once you check into a room.
Our first afternoon there we had lunch in the restaurant. It was good and service was pleasant but she brought us the wrong check and we had to flag someone down to get the correct one. Not a big deal but just another "missing the mark" type thing with everything else we were noticing.
We decided to head up to The Edge Rooftop Bar and LOVED IT. The staff there is really outstanding. I must mention Darren - he is a great ambassador for the hotel. Take the time to go up there, relax, talk with the staff, and let them make you one (or 4, lol) of the fabulous drinks they have created. These guys are true mixologists in every sense of the word and take much pride in their work. The drinks are crafted with patience and precision. Yes, they do not carry all of the name brand liquors you may know - what they carry is even better and what they make for you will be even more delicious.
We had dinner at the Bar in the restaurant. Service was fast and friendly. Food was good. My husband had a burger and it was cooked perfectly. I had a Steak Sandwich that was a little heavy on the salt. No biggie. It too was very good. I started with the Bone Marrow and it was very disappointing. It was half of a very large bone, cut length wise, but only had about a tablespoon of marrow in it.
We headed back to our room and decided to grab something from the mini bar. Well, when we opened it we realized it had not been stocked from the person prior to us in that room. We decided just to let the Front Desk deal with it in the morning. We also were not sure if the menu for the Mini Bar was correct given the fact that no other food menu was.
The next morning we decided to head out for breakfast and on our way out we told the Front Desk of the issue with the Mini Bar - as well as the hair on the floor and the trash can not being emptied that we noticed when we checked in the day before. The clerk was very nice and said she would see that it would be taken care of right away. Well, it wasn't. We were out for about an hour and a half and came back to the same not cleaned room and not stocked mini bar. Ok, maybe we didn't give them enough time, maybe it was a busy morning - no biggie. Just another missing the mark moment. We were heading out again for a few hours and thought for sure we would come back to a clean room and stocked mini bar. Nope - same uncleaned room and same not stocked mini bar. The housekeepers were on the floor so my husband asked one of them if they would make up the room while we went down to the restaurant for lunch. This was around 1:45. She said of course and said we would be next. Great! Well guess what? Yep, still not cleaned or stocked after we got back from lunch. We gave up. The hotel obviously was having housekeeping problems that day. My husband finally went and found a housekeeper, around 3:30, and asked for some clean towels. He was handed some. He also inquired about the Mini Bar - at this point we just didn't want to be charged for the missing items. She said she would send someone. A short time later someone finally knocked on the door for the mini bar. We explained it hasn't been stocked and wasn't stocked when we checked in but we weren't sure what all should be in there since all the other menus we have seen are wrong. Well, apparently that menu was wrong too. It was missing a few items but not nearly what we thought. The young man apologized, took an inventory of what needed to be replaced, left for about 10 minutes and came back and had all the items to fill it.
We had dinner at Berns on our 2nd night (loved it!) and decided to end our night with a nightcap at The Edge Bar. Again very enjoyable.
As I mentioned before, we were planning on sleeping in a little and having breakfast at the hotel before we left but with all the early morning noise and the overall disappointment with the hotel, we opted to check out earlier than planned and eat elsewhere. I really hope they can fix the problems. Its a wonderful concept for a hotel. Will we give it another chance? Maybe - I am not sure what the deciding factor will be. Maybe they just need some more time to work out the kinks...........and there are a lot of kinks.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

The room was fantastic, the rest of our experience was not. I realize that the hotel is trying to be trendy and laid-back, but there are standards of professionalism that are still required. It begins with training. All front desk personnel should know the points system and tell each customer about all the hotel has to offer. Most important….wear a name badge! Especially if not in a Marriott logoed uniform.
My company, who is Marriott loyal, planned a weekend with the spouses in Tampa as a 'Thank You' for a good sales year. We booked nine rooms at the hotel for the weekend. We were all excited to stay at an Autograph Collection hotel and have dinner at Bern's.
As a Marriott Platinum rewards member for a few years, I am very familiar with Marriott check-in process. We arrived at the hotel and we were asked by a gentleman if we needed help. This gentleman was not wearing a name badge and did not have any clothing on that depicted he was a Marriott employee. So we said no thank you and walked up to the front desk. The lady who check us in made me very confused about points or money. She was asking if we wanted 750 points per day or continental breakfast. I understood that, but then she was asking if we wanted an additional 500 points per day. I kept asking her what are the 500 points for and she said that's what you get, but had no explanation as to why.
When we got into our room, my husband asked me what was wrong. I said that I stay more than 70 night in a Marriott per year and have never been so confused at check-in. There was a different lady at the counter later so I asked her what the 500 points are about. She said that they are your welcome gift, or you can get $10 credit to use for food or drink. Ah Hah!!!! At last I understood. I explained to her that the person that checked us in could not explain what the 500 points were for and that I had never been so confused. She apologized and said that she would explain it to her.
Then, I asked if there was shuttle service to area attractions. She said that there wasn't and recommended walking to Hyde Park for lunch because it was only a 3 block walk. We decided to take her recommendation and she signed out umbrellas for our walk.
Hyde park was not 3 blocks, it was 1.3 miles away! We walked in the rain, got soaked and had lunch. After lunch it was raining even harder, so I called the front desk of the hotel and asked about shuttle service again. A lady answered and said that they don't have a shuttle, but she'll call a cab for us. The cab charged us $14!
When we returned to the hotel, I was talking with my co-worker. My co-worker said that she scheduled the hotel shuttle to take us to dinner that night. I said the hotel doesn't have a shuttle. She re-affirmed that they did, but there's a charge for anything further than 2 miles.
I then went to the front desk and asked about this. Front desk explained the shuttle service to me and just said sorry. Just a sorry?!!! I was fuming! A guy from the front desk later approached me outside and said that the hotel manager does not do anything about customer complaints and that he was unhappy at the hotel and was quitting next week. Very unprofessional!
I know you will be hearing from many people in our Marriott loyal group. Most of us had the same poor experience.

Room Tip: Not the fourth floor on the weekend.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Syracuse, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

A beautiful venue in tampa' s up/ coming area...our room was ultra modern...Good WiFi..tassamo in room...plenty of cable stations...only 4 floors....but service at the 2 bars was slow and indifferent, friends staying had a hard time getting room cleaned after 2 calls...valet for cars was good...the lack of uniform for the greeting staff was confusing...there is no business center either...getting taxi can take over 30 mins..the outside bar upstairs, only serves drinks, and if rain...their seat cushions are soaked....these seem to be fixable issues

Room Tip: 4th floor non street side is best
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

My time at the hotel was magnificent. The location is wonderful as are the many wonderful amenities the hotel has to offer. The pastry shop is to die for with an assorted variety of tasty treats and the restaurant was five star quality. The service at the hotel was exceptional. Sol from the front desk went above and beyond from what her duties entailed, she checked me in promptly as I was running late to an event, and made sure all my needs were expedited. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who enjoys being pampered. I can't wait until my next visit to try the spa.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Old Bridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Excellent room, the bed was so comfortable, had saw in previous reviews problem with noise . We stayed in room 218 only noise was the train that came through woke up for two secs then fell right back to sleep,the restaurant was so good, room was beautiful, everyone was so friendly was going to a Springsteen concert and the front desk printed out directions for anyone going, pool was very nice, only suggestion is have room service breakfast menu in the room along with the phone numbers was trying to stay away from computers on vacation,lol. the WiFi is excellent.The pastry shop is also great, the special sodas and pastries where to die for. Steve at the restaurant was so helpful and attentive .coffee was never empty, breakfast suggestions he was great. Like I said one of the friendlist hotels I ever stayed at, everyone was smiling. will stay here again if in the area, don't let the fact that is great for business travels stop you from trying this hotel, pool was nice,very clean and warm, one great thing about business hotel the pool is empty.

Room Tip: the rooms away from the freeway will not have the train noise, did not hear the freeway noise at all...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
McSherrystown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I wanted to take my husband somewhere where he could just relax for 3 days. My great niece had just been hired as a physical therapist at the Evangeline Spa, which is located in the Epicurean complex. She suggested the hotel as I had booked a massage for my husband and a couples massage for the two of us at the spa. Both massage experiences were more than we expected, just awesome! The hotel is beautiful and had only been open a few months. The Epicurean has a theatre where guests can attend a wide variety of classes ranging from mixology to a specific cultural cooking class. We actually registered for 2 classes during our stay. The first was learning about whiskey and our second class was how to do wine and cheese pairing. Both were quite enjoyable with the guest speakers being connoisseurs of their individual expertise. The hotel offers complimentary bikes which my husband and i took advantage of, riding the 2 blocks to the bay. We plan to return for a longer stay where we can take advantage of all the hotel has to offer.

Room Tip: We actually did not require a specific room and were more than satisfied with ours, located on the s...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Longboat Key, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

This hotel's location is its primary asset, as it allows you to enjoy the wines and the steaks at Bern's without having to drive home. The hotel is nicely conceived with a variety of options, such as a comprehensive wine shop and several eating venues. When we were there,the hotel had been open for about four months, but although the staff was exceedingly friendly,an air of uncertainty seem to be in the atmosphere. People had to consult one another to find things or how to perform certain tasks. When we got into the lobby at around 11 AM, the dining room stopped serving breakfast and it was too early for lunch. The coffee shop across the parking area was not open yet. Dinner the night before was great, the rooms are very nice, somewhat on the chi-chi side, the toiletries excellent, and when they get their act together,it will be a convenient place to spend the night.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
EpicureanHotel, General Manager at Epicurean Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
We are very happy to hear you stayed with us after enjoying Bern’s Steakhouse! Our team of Epicureans are always learning and growing in their positions to make sure they are providing the best service possible to our guests! We always love hearing praise for our restaurant Élevage! We hope you will return to stay with us again and experience our Spa, Evangeline and Patisserie, Chocolate Pi!
Tom Haines

Been to Epicurean Hotel? Share your experiences!