“survey” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 159 hotels in Tampa
kennesaw, ga
“survey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is a clean hotel with great service.The complimentary breakfast is average. The safety percautions are very good. I would highly recommend this hotel for parathyroid patients who are having surgery at Tampa General Hospital.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

429 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

For a value for money hotel, you really can't go wrong here. My whirlpool room was spacious and comfortable. But for someone who travels a lot there were quite a few service issues that disappointed me and are worthy of mention.

The housekeeping staff had a habit of removing towels (including those I had hung up) and not replacing them. When I got to the bare minimum, I did ask for some more and in what could be a scene from a comedy film, two staff arrived separately, each with a bundle of towels, that eventually left the room overflowing with the things.

One afternoon, at about 4.30pm, I returned to my room to find that housekeeping hadn't been. I called down to the reception to be told that housekeeping was provided up till 5pm, but that they would check, as it looked to me as if my room had been missed. I popped down to the foyer to give the cleaners free reign. They did eventually turn up and completed the cleaning in double-quick time.

It was while I was waiting down in the reception, that I decided to have a cup of coffee from the large flasks that were there. The coffee was stone-cold! I could see some American guests taking their cups to the microwave in the breakfast area.

The air-conditioning unit was quite noisy. Luckily the evenings weren't too warm, so in the end, I decided to turn it off at night.

Neither of the computers and printer in the foyer worked all week. There was a sign informing guests that they were out-of-action, but this implied it was only a temporary issue.

The free WiFi service was OK, though - in an apparently random manner - you'd be thrown off without warning and prompted to sign back in again. The duration between interruptions would vary from a few minutes to a few hours. This was more of a problem with my laptop, rather than my smartphone.

I mentioned I had a whirlpool bath. This was great, though draining it was problematic, as the weight of the water kept forcing the plug to settle back down. In the end, I had to put a used coffee packet under it.

Take care with the toaster at breakfast. With no guide as to what is a suitable level, it's easy to burn your bread. I would recommend setting it to no more than level three.

As I said at the outset, if you're looking for value for money hotel in a good area - there are lots of great dining options for starters - then this is a good base. If I return to the area, I think I will try out their sister property, a few blocks away - the Hilton Garden Inn - to see if the levels of service are more consistent and reliable.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
TPAYBGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Tampa / Ybor City/Downtown, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you for your review. I deeply regret that we did not meet your expectations during your last stay. Our goal is to always ensure our guests are satisfied with their service experience, hence we take all feedback very seriously. We genuinely value your loyalty to our brand and sincerely hope to welcome you back to our property next time your in the area. Please contact me at 813-247-6700 as I would like to learn more about your stay and make sure your next stay exceeds your expectations.

Paul G.
Jacksonville, Fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Hotel was a little older but well kept. Prices were reasonable, desk clerks were helpful, room was clean. There is an $8 charge for parking, and the lot has very sharp turns that a larger vehicle would be unable to make.
The shuttle service is excellent and I suggest using it. The hotel is right at the end of the Ybor city area and there is about two blocks of deserted businesses before you get to the restaurant / club section. You don't want to be walking this area after dark. We walked to the restaurant the hotel suggested (no problem) and then walked back at about 7:30. We were panhandled aggressivly, one of them following part way back, frightening my wife.

Room Tip: Whirlpool rooms are located next to the maid's service rooms on each floor. Early morning noise...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

The hotel renovated nicely, but the smell in our room made us both sick by the 2nd day. The walls are thin and we heard everything our neighbors had to say... at 3am. If you are on a budget and don't mind a sinus infection at the end of your stay, this is the place for you.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

While recovering from thyroid surgery, I stayed in the Hampton Inn for 3 days. I was pleasantly surprised the day before surgery when I explored the Latin Historic district. Everything was close enough to walk to, but a shuttle is available for free transportation to shops and restaurants in the area. I ate at the Columbia restaurant (about 10 blocks away) and the food was AMAZING as well as the wonderful atmosphere. They have authentic Flamingo dancers (free) and the energy was great...service was too.

When I returned from dinner at the Columbia Restaurant the first night, there were warm, fresh out of the oven chocolate chip cookies at the front desk. YUM. The next day was my surgery. They arranged for rides to and from Tampa General Hospital When I got back from surgery I was quite weak an unable to walk by myself. The shuttle driver walked me to my hotel room (not his job) and literally would have probably carried me if I'd asked! It gets better...That night, still in pain, still groggy, I called the front desk to see if they had one of those yummy cookies. They didn't....all out :-( An hour later, someone knocked on my door and when I opened it, the shuttle driver (different person) had 4 home made warm cookies for me!!!! How kind, how unexpected, how wonderful... I would recommend staying here to anyone. Prices are fair, beds are super comfy, and rooms have refrigerators, microwave, flat screen TV, wife fi internet, etc. Above all, the staff is kind, efficient and well....AMAZING.

Room Tip: My room was a 2 bed (queen) standard room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed at the Hampton Inn while a family member was a patient at Tampa General Hospital. The staff was cordial, professional and very helpful. I parked my car at the hotel, but used the hotel shuttle to visit the hospital daily. The shuttle drivers were friendly and very punctual. The complimentary breakfast was delightful and bountiful!! This is a great place to stay - I hope to come back again for a visit with no hospital involvement!!
Lynne

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Port Saint Lucie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

The staff and room was very good as compared to other hotels I have stayed. The breakfast items were fresh and plentiful. The receptionist and staff were very pleasant and helpful. They helped me with fining restaurants.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Been to Hampton Inn Tampa / Ybor City/Downtown? Share your experiences!