“Enjoyed Our Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 159 hotels in Tampa
sedona
“Enjoyed Our Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hampton Inn Tampa/Ybor City because I was having minor surgery at Tampa General Hospital. I came to Tampa (from Arizona) as the surgeons for Hyperparathyroid Disease are renowned in Tampa. The hospital recommended the Hampton Inn for people traveling from out-of-state; it is under 2 miles away.

When we first arrived, admittedly we were skeptical. The parking situation is VERY confusing. We parked in the underground lot and in order to get up to the lobby (via the elevator) you needed a room key. Well, we didn't have a room key yet! We didn't realize the check in/lobby entrance was on the upper level of their parking lot.

In order to get to ANY floor/room you need a room key. This is actually a nice security feature. But just make sure to always have your key on you/accessible when you are getting into the elevator.

The next small issue I had was the initial room they assigned us smelled like smoke. It's challenging for hotels because once someone smokes in a non-smoking room, the smoke is still in furniture/carpet/walls. I am highly allergic to smoke and asked for another room. Brittany at the front desk could not have been more helpful. We did find a room that met our requirements.

The room is fairly standard in size for a Hampton Inn (2 Queen Beds). The refrigerator is VERY spacious/large. And the rooms have microwaves as well. I was able to rest very comfortably before and after surgery. Brittany also recommended the Carne Chop House, which we LOVED (dined there 3 nights in a row).

The surrounding area is a bit sketchy at first glance. But as you walk around, you realize it is "funky"! Great little shops and restaurants. I wish I had been here feeling 100% so I could have taken advantage of the area more!

It's our last night here and the guests on our floor are a bit loud; seem to be in a party mode. Again, this is not the hotels fault. We have yet to go to sleep; I am certain if we need to report the noise, the front desk will handle it

We did take a nice walk on Bayshore Blvd. (a 10 minute drive away). Really nice to be off the water; especially since we live in Arizona.

My boyfriend and I agree: Next time we are in Tampa, we will stay at the Hampton Inn Tampa/Ybor City! I hope to see Brittany again! :-)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

448 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Ybor City for a short weekend trip. Parking was a little frustrating; there just aren't enough spots in the deck. When I arrived, there was nowhere to park, even in the "15 min for check-in only" spots. Therefore, I had to park in the overflow lot and pay the $5 to park because as I was not yet checked in, I didn't have a Hotel hang tag. This however, was the only negative aspect of my stay.
I stayed in a king suite which was quite serviceable. It was very clean upon check in. The bed was comfortable, and the air conditioning functioned well. I didn't notice the mustiness that others have mentioned.
The wifi functioned well the little bit that I used it. There was no in-room safe, but I guess that's not common in hotels of this class.
There is a trolley station around the corner from the hotel, and the hotel is within an easy walk of the heart of Ybor.
I will definitely stay here the next time I visit Tampa.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We departed Tampa for our cruise. Wanted to stay close to ships docks as we know nothing about Tampa. Ybor city is a funky area with LOTS to see and do. Hotel staff was very helpful with directions and guiding us to a place to eat. If you can get in, try the Laughing Cat for fresh Italian food and their amazing Sangria! I dream about it. The hotel room was new, sparkling clean, and very comfortable. The breakfast buffet that is included in the room rate was yummy and perfect for people rushing to their cruise ship. The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle to the ships docks and they are very in tuned to guests that are cruising. I would highly recommend this quaint hotel. If we cruise again out of Tampa, we will definitely stay at The Hampton Inn Ybor City.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I was sad that this place seems not all that safe at all. I was annoyed that the book in the rooms says there is room service claims you cam get food until 10 but when I called thy said they wouldn't come after 9 because of safety. If the paper said ten that would be fine but it said 10. Also a hotel in such a crappy area should be less than $100. The staff was friendly and the rooms were clean though at least. Oh also not too fun foe kids. Nothing to do in ybor with kids.

• Stayed April 2013
TPAYBGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Tampa / Ybor City/Downtown, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear abellona,

We are happy you found our staff friendly and the rooms clean. We were very disappointed to learn that you had a problem with our room service provider and that you felt the area was not safe. The Ybor City merchants, as well as the Tampa Police Department, have put in a lot of effort to ensure our visitors are safe. This week TPD announced that crime in Ybor City is down 83% in the 10 year period from 2002-2012. Some crimes were down 97%. Although we always recommend our guests take the same precautions here that they would take in any large city we can confidently state that we are much safer than most other similar cities.

We wish we could have made some recommendations to you for some family friendly things to do. We are located within a historic Ybor City trolley ride or our own shuttle can take you to the Florida Aquarium. We are within walking distance to GameTime at Centro Ybor where you can enjoy interactive games and simulators. And during the year there are various kid friendly festivals that can be enjoyed by all.

We hope a future trip to Tampa will allow you to enjoy all that Ybor City has to offer. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on your next visit.

Stephen Nunez
Florida, Uruguay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Finally getting some vacation time and usually traveling to Europe, we we43 looking forward to actually staying in Florida. As a prelude to a long overdue trip to Busch Gardens, we decided to Drive to Tampa from Fort Lauderdale (our home) and spend the night before in Ybor. I had been to Ybor years earlier and remember the Hampton Inn as being in a great location and the restaurants and night life being alive, but not out of control. On a Tuesday night, there was actually a lot going on. We arrived at 6pm, and were pleasantly greeted by Brittany, who informed us that as a Diamond, I was upgraded to a suite (thank you) and parking was complementary (thank you)! The room was clean and spacious, and had a nice view of a beautiful historic brick building. The pool and fitness centers were also very nice. The restaurant Bricks right down the street was also convenient with great food which for me was heart healthy (excellent salad with seared ahi tuna), and the late night farmers market was across the street and open until 10, serving organic veggies, hand crafted natural soaps, gourmet coffees, etc. There was a lot going on after this, but we had to catch some sleep. The breakfast in the am was great with many heart healthy options including fruit and egg whites. This was fantastic and was a great prelude to the rest of our trip to Tampa that week. Thanks Hampton Inn for serving as our hub in Ybor city and offering a great beginning to our Tampa visit.

Room Tip: Ask to be upgraded to a suite if possible. Also ask for an upgraded view of some of the beautiful h...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Weston, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My friend and I drove to Tampa in March 2013 to see a Yankees spring training game. We wanted to stay in an area with bars and restaurants within walking distance and so based solely on Google Maps, we opted for Ybor city which is about a 25 minute cab ride to the stadium. 7th avenue in Ybor was exactly what we wanted as there are a lot of bars packed into this strip. Over the course of two nights we probably went to a dozen places and had a great time. I'd love to go back to the area.

During our research, we saw only 4 or 5 hotels in the area, many of which were fully booked so we went with the Hampton Inn. The hotel is about a block away from the nightlife so the location was perfect. However, we had to pay about $220 per night for a bare-bones hotel room so we were likely paying for the location and because of the lack of competition. When we arrived, we found out we also had to pay $8 per day for parking in their lot, so we felt further gouged. They do have a free continental breakfast but we didn't wake up in time for it so I can't comment on it.

The room itself was a plain hotel room and certainly not worth $220 per night, location aside. Both of our room key cards failed the first night and had to get them re-scanned at the front desk. There really isn't much else to say about the hotel. It's just a place to crash while visiting Ybor and while you'd probably have to pay a similar rate at one of the other local hotels, it's simply too expensive for what you get.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Perkeo73,

We were happy to hear you had a great time in Historic Ybor City as well as at Spring Training. We agree that being the only hotel located on 7th Avenue is a huge advantage to our guests when they visit the Tampa area. We were disappointed to learn that your keys did not work properly at one point and that you could not enjoy our full breakfast buffet. Hopefully we can make that up to you on your next visit.

Pricing in Tampa, as well as most of Florida, is seasonal with January through April typically being the busiest months. We understand that Spring Training occurs over that time period but we hope that you can visit Ybor City at other times during the year when the area is less busy. There is plenty more to do in Tampa and we would be happy to give you some suggestions.

Stephen Nunez
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Like most Hampton Inn's the hotel was very clean, the staff was very friendly and knowledgable of the area.
The breakfast was a little less then expected with Hampton Inn, but it was good, the breakfast attendant needed another helper it was really busy and she had trouble keeping things refilled.
The Internet was terrible, if I had been traveling on business it would have been an issue, but was on vacation with family so it wasn't a big deal, but very bad connection and speed both days we were there.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Hampton Inn Tampa / Ybor City/Downtown? Share your experiences!