“Excellent Location & Friendly Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Cruise Transportation
Ranked #29 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent Location & Friendly Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The main reason that I booked at this hotel was because of the location and I was not disappointed. When I return to Tampa, I will definitely stay here again. It was great to be able to get out and walk to all of the shops, bars, and restaurants in the area. The room was updated and modern. The bed was very comfortable and I really enjoyed the view from my room on the top floor. The staff was very friendly, offering suggestions for local places to visit. The price of $8 for parking was a lot lower than in most similar hotels which offer parking. The con for me was that the pool was not heated and the hotel did not offer a hot tub. Over all I enjoyed my stay and visit to Tampa.

Room Tip: The higher floors get the better views.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

429 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed here for one night in December. The staff was nice, but clearly overwhelmed. A number of guests showed up at checking time and the rooms were not ready resulting in long waits. There is very little parking in the garage attached to hotel so you end up in a side lot across the street which late night might make older travelers nervous. The location is at the edge of Ybor city, a short walk from the party areas. The breakfast buffet, was good and the rooms were ok. If there are a lot of guests as there were on my trip, the elevator lines can be problematic.

Room Tip: Because of elevator lines, I would stay on a lower floor and take stairs.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
TPAYBGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Tampa / Ybor City/Downtown, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear JGB514094,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and hope you had a great time experiencing all Ybor City has to offer. I was very disappointed to learn that your check in was delayed. I apologize for this and I can assure you that we will review our staffing guidelines to ensure your experience is not repeated. Although we are a very popular hotel due to being located in the heart of Ybor City as well as close to the cruise terminal we typically can handle the large crowds we attract. We will use your feedback to improve on our being prepared for our busiest times.

We hope we can accommodate you as our guest in the future! Please let me know directly if I can be of further service to you in your travels to the Tampa Bay Area.

Stephen Nunez
Fort Myers
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

My boyfriend and I had never been to Ybor City, but decided to give it a shot. We decided to stay at the Hampton Inn because it was in an ideal location, right in the middle of downtown Ybor City. The best feature about this hotel is the location, one block from the tram station that goes to locations such as Channelside and downtown Tampa. It was nice because once we were parked in the parking garage ($8!) we never had to use our vehicle again. We were able to walk to nearby restaurants and bars. Another thing I liked about the hotel was the free breakfast which included coffee, juices, waffles, oatmeal, fresh fruit, cereal, sausage, breakfast potatoes, and scrambled eggs.
One downside was the pool. The pool is in between two buildings and a wall, so if you are looking for a pool to layout at and get a tan you will only have about a one hour window.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Grand Junction, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed here on business and found the staff warm and helpful. The property is very well maintained and rooms were clean and quiet. There is a small pool and fitness center to relax or get some exercise. The breakfast was normal Hampton Inn fare and was kept stocked. Just a few minutes from the heart of downtown and easy walking distance to everything Ybor City has to offer.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Kingsport, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Upon first seeing where the motel was that my wife had booked about a mile from where we were catching our cruise; I was skeptical that this was a wise move. Fortunately, as we walked around the area during the mid afternoon and early evening; my fears were allayed.

The motel is very closely located on the TECO cable car route taking us more to the downtown area of Tampa on Saturday morning/afternoon. It is also located very close to cruise docks as I stated before, and as well, close to accommodating and excellent restaurants like Bernini's, the Columbia, James Joyce Irish Pub, the every Saturday farmer's market, and a variety of other restaurants that we would have loved to have tried time permitting.

The breakfast was delicious each morning, although the breakfast area is a bit full of folks on the weekends awaiting the shuttle to catch their cruises. So sometimes you may have to wait five or ten minutes for a table; but the breakfast is tasty and very filling with a wide selection from waffles, to bacon or sausage, eggs, juices, cereals, bagels, muffins, etc.

The rooms are very nicely done and the motel was EXTREMELY quiet. I slept better here in the king sized bed than I have slept at my own home. The staff was also very helpful and friendly and gave any kinds of help whenever it was needed; even advising us about the best time to catch the shuttle over to the cruise docks. (No need to get there so early since you'll just wait until they allow you on the ship.) We got to the cruise terminal at about 1:30 and were escorted in and in 15 minutes were on the ship; practically no waiting whatsoever.

I'd highly advise this motel for an overnight stay while visiting downtown Tampa or wanting to get on a cruise the next day or two. As far as the neighborhood, I probably wouldn't advise going out after about 11 p.m.; but otherwise, all should be good. Besides, there aren't many locations I'd stay at where I'd feel safe walking around in the area after 11 p.m.

Room Tip: I do believe that all rooms would be good in this motel. You can tell that they are focused on clea...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We had made reservations at a different hotel but cancelled them based on reviews we read on TripAdvisor. We were completely pleased with the Hampton Inn. Our room was clean and comfortable withan exceptional assortment of pillows, something that's important to me. The breakfast was excellent and the shuttle to the port was on time, with a safe, friendly, efficient driver. When we got off the ship, he was just pulling up, so we had no wait at all. Ebony at the front desk really impressed us with her helpfulness, as did the woman handling the buffet breakfast. I didn't get her name but certainly understood she wanted to give us the best experience possible. We plan to stay there for all cruises out of Tampa in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Odessa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We had a wonderful one night stay. Dinner and entertainment was great and in walking distance. Ebony at the front desk was welcoming and remarkable! Breakfast and the room could not have been better. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn Tampa / Ybor City/Downtown? Share your experiences!