“Great Place to Overnight before a Cruise.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Tampa Westshore

You added Holiday Inn Tampa Westshore to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Tampa Westshore
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   700 N. Westshore Blvd., Tampa, FL 33609 (Formerly Quorum Westshore)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #28 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Atlanta, GA
“Great Place to Overnight before a Cruise.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

Great place to overnight before you cruise out of Tampa, especially if you qualify for a discounted rate. We got an airline employee rate of $80 total that included 4 breakfast buffets (even on a Saturday morning), free shuttle from the airport and free shuttle to the cruise port.

We also ended up on the 11th floor club level. I asked the desk clerk why we got it and he said it looked like that was all that was available at the time when we checked in. Just lucky I guess. The only real difference I think was a room set up in the evening with snacks, tea and Starbucks coffee.

The only down side was a really small room for 4 people. (2 adults, a teen and a 7 y/o) Got a 2 dbl bed room and it was tight getting around. Good practice for the cruise though. Someone else mentioned low showerheads. I’m short and I noticed that they were kind of low. I imagine for someone >6 ft. it would be really low.

The plusses far outweigh the minuses though. The staff was friendly enough, no complaints there. Check in and out went smooth.

Be sure to ask about the shuttle to the port when you check in. They had 3 shuttles scheduled for the port. I’m sure if they weren’t too busy they would fit you in at another time.

Little touches that made it a good place too stay. M&M’s at the counter, and ice cold lemon/lime or cucumber water in the lobby. Happy hour had $2 drafts, $4 wine and $4 appetizers. Different free eats each night 5:30-6:30. The breakfast buffet was good considering it was included with our room. They advertise free breakfast Mon-Fri. The buffet sign said $14.99 for the buffet. Personally I wouldn’t pay that for it. It was more like a $7.99 buffet.

The good news about that is you have options if you can walk 500 steps. There is a mall just down the road. http://www.westshoreplaza.com/index.cfm It’s an easy walk if you are in semi good shape. They have the food court there, and several restaurants, PF Chang’s and Maggiano’s. Chic-fil-a for a cheap breakfast as long as it’s not Sunday. Even closer (about 200 steps) is a Waffle House for a dining alternative to the hotel restaurant.

The pool is clean and well maintained. The workout room looked pretty good as far as equipment. I heard someone mention that it gets pretty hot in there at certain times of day when the sun is coming thru the window.

I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are flying in to Tampa for a cruise and need a room for just one night. Especially if you can get some form of discounted rate like government, military, AAA, AARP, just ask what type discounts they offer when you make your reservation.

Room Tip: Call hotel direct. Ask for a discount.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
pamavery, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tampa Westshore, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to give such helpful feedback regarding your recent stay. You provided some great travel tips to fellow travelers about our property and the surrounding area. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our staff, shuttle transportation, breakfast buffet, happy hour, pool, fitness center, and M&M stations! I hope that your stay led to an equally fantastic cruise. We look forward to seeing you again during your future visits to Tampa.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

I'll start by saying that the staff at this property is the most friendly and welcoming group of individuals I have ever had the pleasure of staying with. The entire staff is excellent and I can't say enough nice things about them. I stay here on business one week out of every month and I honestly can say I look forward to my visits, It definitely feels like home away from home. I feel like I have friends there in the staff when I visit. From Jerry and his F&B team. The servers and bartenders are great. Priscilla, Judy, and Brandon are always welcoming and great to see. If you have the choice to stay anywhere in the Tampa Westshore area, I would strongly suggest choosing this place. They have great rates for the type of property and service that they provide!

Room Tip: Ask and they will accommodate as best as they can
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
pamavery, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tampa Westshore, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
Thank you for your very kind feedback regarding our staff. I am so pleased that they have made you feel completely "at home." I will be sure to share your comments with Jerry, Priscilla, Judy, Brandon, and our food and beverage staff. We appreciate that you return to us each month and look forward to your next visit!
Kathleen, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

First time I stayed at a Wyndham... and definitely not my last. Stayed 4 nights and enjoyed them all. The staff was very friendly and attentive to our needs (requested free microwave in addition to a fridge). The rooms were plush and clean with flat screen TV. Free M&Ms and flavored water! Free breakfast bar and evening socials with the manager (plenty of free food and drinks). Gym and pool were very nice. Best of all there are two malls located just blocks away... my wife enjoyed this while I was working during the day. There are also many restaurants nearby to choose from. I had no problem with parking my large vehicle. Hopefully all Wyndhams are as nice as this one... hopefully I'll find out on my next trip.

Room Tip: Request upper floor room for the best view.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
pamavery, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tampa Westshore, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your recent stay. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your first stay with us. The title of your review certainly encompasses the exact reaction we strive to achieve from all of our guests. Thank you for your complimentary comments about our property. I look forward to seeing you again during your future visits to Tampa.
Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

Stayed here one week in April and again one week in May - mix of business and pleasure.

Great location - proximate to airport and restaurants - pet friendly.

Facility is good but a tad dated - it is the people who go the extra mile that make a difference at this hotel.

Food is very good and chef is award winner.

Felix, Priscilla and Mike are assets to the facility (and no, I'm not related) they deserve some special attention.

These folks make staying here worthwhile when plenty of competition is available. If something is not up to par - or to your liking/expectations these folks will go out of their way to make an enjoyable stay - at least in my experience - and we travel a fair amount on business and pleasure. On the road again next week and the balance of June.

Management is also top notch here - Pam and Jerry run a good ship.

Room Tip: club floor is worth the extra
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stays at our property in April and May. I am pleased that you enjoyed the location, food and staff! I will certainly be sure to pass along your kind comments regarding Felix, Priscilla, Michael and Jerry to ensure that their hard work is recognized. I look forward to seeing you during your future visits to Tampa.
Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

I have NEVER had as good an experience as I have experienced with this fine hotel and its' extraordinary staff. The experience starts with the prompt and smooth pickup from the airport and doesn't end there! I want to ESPECIALLY thank Pricilla Gilbert who heads catering. She helped me on matters that didn't pertain to her speciality and clearly loves what she does. I also highly recommend Pam Avery and Judy Hollister who went our of their way to get me into a luxury box experience at a Rays/Yankees game in St. Petersburg! This was one of the highlights the last 20 years! I just feel like I'm coming home when I stay here and can not recommend this wonderful establishment enough to anyone who takes the time to read this. Prepare to be wowed by the professional operation they run here. Clean, friendly, most of all, home away from home.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
pamavery, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tampa Westshore, responded to this review, May 19, 2011
Thank you for your very complimentary feedback regarding your recent stay at our property. It was certainly our pleasure to assist you with your plans while you were in town and I am so pleased that you had a memorable experience. We appreciate that you are spreading the word about our great hotel. We look forward to seeing you again during your next visit.
Punta Gorda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

I chose this hotel because of it's location near the car rental company that I used and it's proximity to the airport. The front desk staff were very cordial and my stay was, for the most part, pleasant. I was told that I would earn no airline frequent flyer miles unless I spent money in their restaurant so I didn't both supplying my Wyndam Rewards number. That seemed at odds with the information I'd seen on the airline's website but, so be it.

The hotel is somewhat old and tired and certainly nothing fancy. There is some sort of mechanical sounding noise in the vent system that reminded me of the noise experienced while riding on a train...just a constant bumping noise; not loud but, nevertheless, irritating. Otherwise, the room was comfortable.

In spite of the fact that this would be considered an 'airport hotel', their shuttle service doesn't start until 6:00am....most certainly too late for a number of early morning flights. They do offer to pay for a taxi for people leaving earlier but I find that to be far less desirable than a sheduled shuttle.

All in all, this hotel is a very acceptable place to stay but certainly nothing special and I'm satisfied that a cheaprer alternative in the same area would work out at least as well for someone in transit.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
pamavery, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tampa Westshore, responded to this review, April 13, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your recent stay at the Wyndham Tampa Westshore. I appreciate your candid comments regarding the location, property and shuttle service. We do strive to create a satisfying and unique experience for our guests and apologize that our property and amenities did not exceed your expectations. We hope to see you again during your future visits to Tampa.
Champaign, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

My experience was impecable if not for this. I've stayed in lesser rank wyndham brand hotels that had fast LAN internet access in every room for free. Charging guests for internet conection in the room is like charging them for the water or electricity they use. Come on! Its 2011, internet access is a basic service, no matter if you are traveling for business or pleasure.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
pamavery, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tampa Westshore, responded to this review, May 12, 2011
I appreciate your feedback regarding your stay at our property in April. I am pleased that you enjoyed your trip and apologize that the in-room high-speed internet charge was a nuisance for you. We do currently offer complimentary wireless internet in our lobby as well as our business center. However, I understand your concerns regarding the in-room access and will keep them in mind during future property improvements. We hope to see you again during your future visits to Tampa.

Been to Holiday Inn Tampa Westshore? Share your experiences!