“Can't Believe How Bad This Was” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mainsail Tampa Extended Stay

You added Mainsail Tampa Extended Stay to your Saves list
Mainsail Tampa Extended Stay
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5108 Eisenhower Blvd., Tampa, FL 33634 (Formerly Mainsail Suites Hotel & Conference Center)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #94 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
San Francisco, California
“Can't Believe How Bad This Was”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I'm not sure how it's possible that anyone could give this a positive review. Unless this "hotel" was completely booked and they placed us in a unit that had been closed down since the early eighties, it was beyond disgusting. I booked a 2 bedroom suite for 3 days and the conditions were so bad that we left after the first night. We only stayed that long because we checked in late and my 2 year old daughter needed to sleep. You have to look at the pictures to appreciate exactly how disgusting this unit is. Beyond the outdated décor, there were thick layers of dirt and grime on every horizontal surface, the linoleum tile in the bathrooms was peeling up, there were yellow stains all over the ceiling, all the molding in the baths was coming undone and appeared covered in mold, the drains in the bath tubs were corroded to the point they wouldn't close, the TV in the living room didn't work (said they would send maintenance out and never did), the towel bar snapped off in the bathroom when trying to hang up a towel, the toilets were disgustingly stained, and one of the big reasons we chose this place was the advertisement that they had washers and dryers in the units. We opened the door for the laundry and there were only hookups. I guess I must be the unusual traveler that doesn't pack my washer and dryer with me when I fly. All these problems were noticed in the first hour. I can't imagine what else was wrong with that place and couldn't get out of there fast enough.
Oh and to be clear, this is an apartment complex that rents out units and calls them suites.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Baltimore Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My nephew was chosen to play in the Blue Grey National All-Star Classic as a defensive tackle for the North squad. The game was held in Raymond James Stadium in Tampa on January 12, 2013. The Mainsail was the recommended hotel for us to stay in and it was just a few miles from the stadium. We rented a car and traveling in this area was very easy. There were five of us in the suite that had a queen room with bath, as well as a double full room with bath. Very nice place! Because we did not have any small children, I can't speak to the entertainment factor for kids under bout 12 years old. The drawback to this place is that it was hard to find from the main road. The marquee is visible after you get past a tree that sort of blocks it and by then you may pass the entrance because you're going to fast. Around the corner you go! We actually came in the rear entrance first but were able to find our way around to the front. It appears this was originlly an apartment complex and is now being used as short or long-term stay suites. I couldn't tell you if our suite had been remodeled because it was fine as it was, in our opinions. It wasn't a 5-star hotel by any stretch, but it suited our needs and the needs of the organization sponsoring the game. Service was quick when we asked for towels or other items; our room was on the ground floor so no stairs to climb (there is a second floor but I did not see any elevators) kitchen was well equipped (except for a measuring cup and spoons) and we were able to prepare and eat three meals a day after we went to the grocery. Furniture was comfortable, rooms were good size, all in all a nice place. My nephew and niece enjoyed the pool in the main lobby area, where there was also a laundry (we did not need to use it). Pricing was fair in the restaurant just off the lobby area and the food was very good!

Room Tip: Main floor rooms were great; we did not have to climb stairs. Our room was a few feet from the pond...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Norwalk, Connecticut, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I host an annual golf outing in Florida every March for 6-12 guys, so we get around to a few resorts and hotels. Granted, when you're booking package deals you never expect the best, usually decent and livable. We look for a few amenities: A comfortable quiet place to sleep, restaurant on premises, good location to other restaurants, and a hot tub for sore muscles.

Mainsail Suites delivered only 1 out of four: The restaurant, Latitudes, had decent food, breakfast included, and a nice bar staff.

The rooms felll into a category I call "Home Cheapo," meaning they were built with cheapest of materials from the cheapest supplier. Thin walls, industrial carpet, cheap furniture, cheap mattresses. The second bedroom had an old tub TV.

The place was a haven for Spring Breakers and Spring Trainers. Nights were loud and the parking lot parties went late, with trash strewn parking lots in the morning. The desire hot tub was filled shoulder to shoulder with young college guys, so no thanks to that soup.

But the service is what I need to get to: We arrived early due to an impending storm up north. We got to the hotel at noon. Check-in was at 4:00. They said we'd have to wait, but would tell housekeeping to move our room to the first cleaned. Waiting in the restaurant, and checking in often, we finally got our room... at 4:15.

Because we came in a day early, we had to move rooms the next day. No big deal since they had put our group near each other. We got to our new room and were nearly blown back out the door by the stench. Vomit. And not just a faint residual of smell. The three of us sharing the room almost lost our lunch. Back at the front desk, they were terribly sorry. "We can send an Ozone machine to your room. Of course you can't be there while it runs." No thanks. A new room please. "There aren't any except a one bedroom, which we can give you" (three grown men). A NEW ROOM please or another hotel, at your expense and coordination. Sorry, can't do that.

I then reminded her this wasn't a convenience issue, this was a health dept issue. Suddenly the other desk clerk chimed in and magically said another suite had just opened up. How about that?

It's a shame. I know a Florida hotel can't control Spring Break noise and over-crowding. Those are just warnings to anyone coming down this time of year. But housekeeping signing off on a room filled with fresh wretch smell? Inexcusable.

The photo was taken by the others in our group who saw this sign go up after we were moved. Heaven help the residents who came in afterwards.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Elkhorn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Got this booking from Hotwire. Judging from other reviews, I obviously got stuck in a non-remodeled room. Pretty drab. Noticed that the screen door on the small deck was broken. When I went to open the sliding glass door, it was unlocked!! I was on second floor, but still . . . These are apartments, not suites. One room had hookups for washer & dryer. I was going to make coffee in the morning with their single cup coffee maker, but the smell of the water was terrible!! I decided to pass. Nothing is close due to the one-way street. You have to travel miles in a circle to get to things that are, according to the gps, are only .5 miles away!!

Room Tip: Request a remodeled unit!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
ND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I and another couple came into Tampa to go on a cruise. We arrived the day before and stayed at the Mainsail. This was perfect for us. This place is like apartments. Our room had a living room, kitchen, 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, and we paid the price that 1 room would've cost at other places. It was clean, updated and met all of our needs. The icing on the cake was the excellent transfers they offer. They picked us up at the airport, drove us to restaurants and grocery stores the evening of our stay, took us to the cruise ship pier the day of our cruise and picked us up at the cruise ship pier when we returned to Tampa and took us to the airport. There is a restaurant and bar on the property that we used and found acceptable. We strongly recommend this property for anyone coming to Tampa for any reason.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Manahawkin, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is renovating and it needs it. Apartments are big enough to sleep and have a sitting area but transportation is an issue. They say complimentary shuttle service available and it is and did work out well for how we used it. Was a little shady as the weekend wore on. This is not the ritz but once the renovations are complete and if the shuttle ventures a little further even at a fee this could be a great place to stay for a couple of days.

• Stayed March 2013
Spring Valley, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This is the second year that my siblings and I have spent our "family" vacation at the Mainsail Suites in Tampa. Not only is this place conveniently located and close to many restaurants, shopping, activities, their staff is second to none! I was there for 2 weeks, and during that time, I never encountered a single employee that was less than completely customer-driven. They were cheerful and always ready to assist you in whatever way. I wish I had written down all their names, but one that I do remember is Titus at the main desk. No matter what I needed (eg, directions, postage, special accommodations, shuttle service, etc), he was right on top of it. I am looking forward to a return visit next year :-)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Mainsail Tampa Extended Stay? Share your experiences!