“Couldn't finish my meal” 2 of 5 stars

8615 N 56TH St, Tampa, FL 33617-7123
(813) 985-9130
Improve this listing
Tampa, Florida
“Couldn't finish my meal”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

I should have guessed when it took 10 minutes for the hostess to figure out where to seat us in an empty restaurant that it was going to be a disappointing meal. My husband and I both got the wrong meal. He had ordered his shrimp and steak combo with "grilled" shrimp, but he got the fried version. I ordered the BBQ Chicken Breast with 1/2 rack of ribs, fully planning on having lunch the next day with the leftovers. Instead I got a 1/2 rotisserie chicken. It was enormous and just not good. One part of the chicken was very dry, the breast portion was very mealy and spongy. It's hard to describe but it just was not good. We are not the kind of couple to complain so we didn't send our food back, even though we both got the wrong orders.

The waitress was nice, but she was brand new and had no idea what she was doing. She was shadowed by a Manager, thankfully. They did their best to accommodate us, but would still disappear for long periods of time, and then hound us every few minutes, and then disappear again. It wasn't a standard level of service.

The ribs were tender but the sauce was a little too sweet for my liking. I prefer a tangy BBQ sauce, not one loaded with sugar.

The bottomless "salad" (if you can call it that) was mostly iceberg lettuce (which I grew up eating and like, but prefer darker greens now that I know they are healhtier). There were very few other vegetables in the salad, which was disappointing. The scant tomatoes I found were very mealy and pale in color. I know there are plenty of great tomatoes in this area right now since I buy them at home. Cheap sub-par quality ingredients seems to be the menu at Cody's. They also pre-dress the salad and it comes in a huge bowl at your table so you can help yourself. The problem is that I prefer my dressing on the side so I can control how much goes on. We were not given that option. And there is only one dressing - ranch. I like ranch OK but typically choose something else if given the option. Also, they put entirely too much dressing on the salad. Some people may love to drench their vegetables with dressing but I do not. I prefer to taste the food, not the dressing. Lastly, my husband & I only had one serving of salad so we could save room for our entrees, so there was a huge bowl of food that was thrown out after we left. I am not OK with that at all. It's wasteful for no reason, and there are plenty of people who go hungry every night. Cody's should be ashamed, and I strongly believe they should change their practice of the bottomless salad. If people want more, they could be served another plate of iceberg lettuce upon request.

We had a coupon, and we're new to Tampa, so we were excited to try Cody's. We will not be returning, even though the Free Fajita Wednesday special did look appealing. I'm guessing it's not appealing in real life.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

28% Recommend
tampa florida, United States
“rude manager”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Just moving to Tampa we went to Cody's in Clearwater mid-week and loved it. We ended up eating at the bar since the wait was longer for a table. We found out that drinks were 2 for 1 all night in the bar. Saturday came and my husband called Cody's to find out if there were specials in the bar. He was put on hold and informed that apps were half off and drinks 2 for 1. He was told that the bar was first come fist serve when it came to sitting at the tables. We then decided to go there, we sit in a booth (there were 2 in the bar along with several tables). We order, get our bill and see the high amount. We call our waitress over and tell her we called about the specials and we didn't receive any credit for them on our bill. I had ordered one marg and since it was two for one, had another when I finished the first. My husband did the same with his beer and then decided to order another since it was 2 for 1 and only rec'd one, he never got the second one. We also had a shrimp app that was supposed to be half off. Anyway, the waitress informs us that the 2 booths are part of the dining area even though they are in the bar. She told the manager how we called and wanted to get our bill changed. The manager told her no.....we told her we wanted to speak to this manager then. The very nasty female manager appears and tells us no again after we even show her we called on our cell phone and what we were told. She tells us that we sat at a booth and it's not a table. I tell her it doesn't matter what you call it ......a table is a table and we told we could set at any table in the bar. Our booth mind you was 2 inches from the table behind us that was empty and still was. The female manager told us we needed to sit there to get the specials.....we tell her again we would have if we were told that the booths inside the bar were not included. But that isn't what we were told. I mean, we argued with her for a good ten mins, we ended up getting two drinks taken off and that was it. We were charged for the 3rd beer (he never got his free second one) and the app she said wasn't included in the half off (in which case had we been told we would have ordered a diff one). How can you argue with someone who was told by your employee that as long as you sat at a table the specials were included? What kind of restaurant places two booths inside the bar and then says they are not part of the bar? Not to mention, she kept arguing that the employee would have told us that the booths were not included......because according to this twit, booths are not tables. I worked as a waitress for almost ten years during college and my early marriage and that was the first time I heard that a booth wasn't a table. She was just a nasty person and cost her company business. We will not step inside a Cody's again as there are million other restaurants in the area we love.

NOTE: The waitress was kind.......she was sympathetic to our plight but unfortunately couldn't do anything to help us.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tarpon Springs
“Terrible Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

The staff is always busy, rather rude, and this makes your dining experience chaotic from the start. The food is okay except you feel rushed, and portions are huge, except you are not allowed to share the salad they bring you which can serve six people. If you are obese, this is the place for you. I suggest you bring a bottle of tylenol though, because the minute you walk into this restaurant, you'll need it.

Visited November 2010
Bar Harbor
“Great Time!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

Shannon was our waitress, food was great, affordable, cooked perfectly. Rolls to die for. I had the prime rib and my sister had the ribs and strip steak. We both had leftovers. Not fancy, good food, casual and a fun family place. Great beers on tap. Can't wait to go again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
england
“Amazing atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

Me and my sister, parents and grandparents went here one evening when we were staying in a villa, local to this place. we walked in and noticed how there was penuts all on the floor. we thought it was a terrible, but then we relised that it was ment to look like that, they purposely give you penuts to eat an throw on the floor. it gave it a great atmosphere to the place.

the tables have paper tablecloths and the waiters/waitresses write their names in crayons on it, and encourage you and the kids to draw on their while waiting for your food. any rude remarks you write will be laughed at by them to, as my sister wrote 'MR GREEDY' above my dads plate, this made the waitress laugh and she also commented on it.

the food was really good at such a cheap price too. it was by far the best meal i had had in a few days. the proportions of the food though are still quite large, but this was a common uccourence in most of the restaurants in florida.

i definately recommoned that you visit a codys roadhouse.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere