“Laughing Cat” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Laughing Cat - CLOSED

The Laughing Cat
1811 N 15th St, Tampa, FL 33605 (Historic Ybor)
813 241 2998
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Historic Ybor
“Laughing Cat”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

The last time I went to this restaurant, it was wonderful. This is the reason I went back. Lunch was all the time I had. The buffet just did not appeal. I ordered the cannelloni (exactly what I ordered last time) and was disappointed. The food tasted reheated, was bland, and disappointing. The chicken in my meal was ground chicken that was poorly seasoned and the eggplant was in chunks. Very disappointed overall.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Wicomico Church, Virginia
“Not Impressed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Tried this spot out after a friend recommended it. Well, decor not on the top of the list. It was almost as if we were eating at a bingo hall. The chairs were very dated, worn out and pretty dirty. The menu was huge, a red flag for me. I tried the gnocchi with chicken and red sauce. Not sure what I got but it surely was not gnocchi. It was so gummy it kept sticking to my teeth. The chicken was as tough as shoe leather and the red sauce was probably from a jar. My husband had a veal dish. It was over cooked and as he describes it "a salt cave". He could not finish it. They did offer parmesean cheese.....not doubt from the "green" container at the grocery store. Come on. We did not venture for any dessert, although we could have eaten it, as we stopped at Taco Bus on the way home. The service was fine, as well as the people working there were very friendly. We will never eat there again.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“Underwhelming and microwaveable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I visited the restaurant with my visiting parents and husband on a glowing review per a co-worker. The floors were a bit dated and the chairs looked from a Chinese take-out, but even the tastiest foods can come from the funkiest appearances. Unfortunately, the enormous menu suggested a heavy hand being played by the freezer and microwave; when questioning whether the "homemade gnocchi" was just that, the aloof waitress gave us a blank stare and said she thought it was most recently prepared 3 days ago. Not to mention any menu which describes a dish as containing "chunks of chicken" would seem in desperate need of some creative updating. The calamari appetizer had a tangy marinara and the white and red sangrias were light and flavorful. I ordered a filet special which was topped by 3 inches of goat cheese that tasted a bit like an old shoe. The pasta and vodka sauce accompanied the steak; I thought it an odd combination but it was delicious. Sadly, 3/4 of the way through I discovered an inch-long dark hair in the goat cheese/prosciutto nightmare. We questioned the waitress and, surprisingly enough, the chef (described as having shaggy hair) suggested the hair was from the cow itself and offered 20% off our bill- which was fine as I was nearly through anyway and wouldn't dream of demanding the entire entree be removed. Disgusted and already horribly bloated from the outrageous amount of sodium in our pre-prepared dinner, we walked out of Laughing Cat quite underwhelmed and unimpressed.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
“Italian food at its finest!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We visit Tampa yearly and ALWAYS, ALWAYS make a trip to The Laughing Cat in Ybor City. We first went there when it was in a smaller location, then it moved across the street into a bigger one. My favorite is Linguini Malafemmina === Shrimp, calamari, sea scallops, and mussels sautéed with garlic and basil over linguini, finished with white wine and tomato
sauce. I can EASILY make 3 meals of this dish. Hubby loves the Lasagna. Portions are large, cozy atmosphere, yummy bread, good service. (only downfall: fresh grated parmesan would have been wayyy better)

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston
“Good Italian food in Tampa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Appetizers were the bomb!! Tasty, varied. Bruschetta, calamari, studded portabella mushrooms, and sautéed mussels. All GREAT. Entrees were large most with a tomato cream sauce. From fish to chicken to veal, all was good. Pasta done al dente.

• Visited August 2013