“They tortured me in the bar” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Charley’s Steak House & Market Fresh Fish is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 2,066 Restaurants in Tampa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cypress between Lois & Westshore
Description: Charley's Steak House Aged Steaks & Market Fresh Fish is truly the most award-winning restaurant in Tampa! Among its many accolades, Charley's has been voted one of the Top Ten Best Steakhouses in America, Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence and Sante Awards for High Level of Professional Service & Culinary Cuisine. Our USDA Prime & Choice steaks are aged on the premises for four to six weeks and are hand-cut daily by management to ensure consistent quality. The steaks are then flame-grilled over our unique 1200° Florida citrus and oak wood fueled custom pit. To increase flavor, Charley's cuts all their steaks "on the bone" because their bone releases flavor and helps the meat retain its natural juices during the cooking process. A lively and energetic lounge, chef-driven daily specials, signature steaks, an award-winning wine list and top notch service enhances each guest's dining experience to the fullest!
Miami, Florida
“They tortured me in the bar”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I came to enjoy a solitary relaxing dinner while on a business trip. The hostess indicated that no tables were available in the dining room even though I saw many open tables. It was after 9pm, so perhaps they were shutting down. So I had to sit in the bar. The noise was unbearable. I wanted to relax with a wine and nice steak. Indeed, the ribeye was wonderful. And my waiter very professional and efficient. But the noise level and shouting at the bar make the experience very disappointing. They should have allowed me to sit alone in the dinning room. Terrible.

Clearwater FL
“Better Choices for the Money in Tampa”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

First off, Charley's is a fixture in Tampa so that generally carries some weight. Frankly I would have rated this one notch lower but they have two off the menu appetizers that are very very good. Crab Cakes and Bacon Wrapped Scallops. The service was good & the beverage selection was excellent. And for that I rate it average, otherwise I would rate it lower. The steak was fatty, a fact they seemed very proud of. There is a single, very lackluster salad choice - served on a small cold metal plate. The bread wasn't warm and kind of tasteless. There are so many better choices in Tampa for the price (and less $).

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Andrea S, Manager at Charley’s Steak House & Market Fresh Fish, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Thank you for your feedback on your recent dining experience. We take pride in our food and service and when we fall short we like to know about it. I would like to personally apologize so if you would please contact me on my personal cell at 407-797-9177.
Thank-you for your time.

Tampa, Florida
“Fabulous food & Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

The seafood and steaks are fabulous especially in Shelly's station. She made the experience fun and made very good recommendations.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
I'm so glad you had a great time the other evening! I will let Shelly know that she did a Great Job! The next time you are in for dinner please ask for me. I would love to meet you in person.

Tampa, Florida
“Hope Bern's is way better”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Nothing special about this steak house, just over rated & priced: didn't care for sitting arrangement; too close for comfort; felt like I was sitting with the other couples to my right and left, huge dirty menus for the small talbe for two, Jumbo Asparagus; only a few were nice sizes, most were little, not to mention it was over cooked, charred and dried, mashed potatoe was cold, filet was butterflied, crab cake had a very good taste but undercooked, buns were good, but not as good as Red Lobster. I will never go again or recommend Charley's Steak House.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
I want to apologize for your poor experience at Charley's. I am dissapointed that we failed to show you a real Charley's dining experience. I would like to apologize in person. If would please contact me on my cell phone at 407-797-9177.
Thank-you for your time.

St. Louis
“Poor food and service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Went for special Valentine's dinner, and it was awful all around. They were running the place like a factory trying get diners in and out, and they squeezed us into a room with multiple small folding metal tables where it was hard to sit without hitting your feet on the metal legs. I counted 3 couples sit down at the adjacent table and leave without ordering due to the conditions. Our waitress said she had 5 couples get up and leave to demand a better table. The bar area was too crowded to get a drink while we waited for a table, and once we did our vodka tonics were made with club soda. We were eventually seated at 9:40 for a 9:00 reservation, and we were told my name was called twice without answer. I was standing right by the hostess desk so I know this to be a lie. The assistant Manager and our waitress were very accommodating to our concerns, however, the food was still quite poor. My filet was overcooked (well done, ordered med rare) and the crabcakes were undercooked. I was quite disappointed to spend a Valentine's night at such a poor establishment. I made my reservations based on reviews I read here and elsewhere, and in retrospect, I should have paid more attention to the more recent negative reviews. The establishment may be past its prime, or perhaps a busy night like Valentine's is the wrong day to go. Will never go back and will not recommend. The price is high, but I spent 3 times as much on my wife's birthday the following evening at a Clearwater establishment with much better results to salvage the weekend.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Andrea S, Manager at Charley’s Steak House & Market Fresh Fish, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
On behalf of the management staff of Charley's Steakhouse I want to apologize for your recent dining experience. It's our goal as a team to provide an outstanding dining experience to all of our guests. If you would please call me on my cell phone so I can personally apologize to you.
407-797-9177.
Thank you for your time!