“Confusing.....” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dessert, Lunch
Lutz, Florida
“Confusing.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I am a HUGE fan of Datz, and when I read about Dough I was excited to try it. I went today Saturday April 20th, 2013. The exterior and interior decor are awesome, absolutely gorgeous....however the operation lacked organization. I walked in and was greeted by the Barista's (3), it was nice to be greeted, but if its my first time in how am I supposed to know what I want. Oh yes and while I was deciding, I was told by one overly eager associate that lunch isn't available on the weekends...... and was confused, is there food, coffee, only pastries...... hmmmmm oh and how am I supposed to see the gelato hidden in the corner? I had to cascade the entire case, while the barista who was helping was tired of waiting for me to look (mind you this was about 20-30seconds) that she moved onto helping someone else..... When one of the other barista's noticed that I was first in the door, but no longer being helped she came right over to help. We ordered macaroons, a ginormous brownie, and a caramel latte.

In drink was good, however....I thought I would get a luxuriously creamy drink, something I can't get elsewhere....but it was just a normal drink (watery, no whip cream, no caramel drizzle, nothing unique, I would have paid $6-$7 for something out of this world). I would assume a place with such decadent desserts would have a decadent one of a kind coffee beverage menu.

I wanted to order macaroons, but the labels were on the side and I had to keep looking from right to left to decide what I wanted to order, I would have ordered more, but I felt pressure from the staff to make a decision quickly. I hope Dough becomes the gastro staple that Datz is. Please feel free to reach out for additional info, I'd love to see this place become more than amazing!

Good luck!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
DatzOwners, Owner at Dough, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Hi Khristian!

Thank you so much for your business and for taking some time to provide us with feedback. It definitely does sound like your visit was a bit confusing! Ack! So sorry about that. We've only been open about two weeks and we are still training new staff and getting the kinks worked out. The weekends are a really busy time and our staff, as you noted (Ha!), is pretty eager to get customer served quickly so they don't experience a long, frustrating, wait. However, it sounds like a side effect of that was you feeling rushed. We don't want that! I am so glad you told us -- we can be sure to keep that in mind as we work to get customers served efficiently. About the latte, that doesn't sound like our coffee at all in the sense that it was "watery". We make our lattes with a custom roast created for us by Kahwa and we use a top of the line machine. It sounds like maybe you got one of our new baristas and there was a little user error involved. Please let us buy you another coffee drink that is more to your liking. There is a free coffee card in the office for you at Datz. You can stop in whenever you want to grab it -- any manager can get it for you. With that said, our lattes are not generally served with whipped cream, but if you ask for it we can easily add it!
Regarding lunch: at this point we are only serving lunch Monday-Friday, so the baristas were correct in communicating that.What you will find on the weekend though is a wide range of pastries and a variety of savory grab and go items like quiche, stuffed croissants, etc.
I think we got everything we needed from your review, but would you mind emailing kate@datztampa.com so we have your email address? That way we can reach out if we need more info.

Thank you so much for writing and we hope to see you again soon.

Tampa, Florida
“Goodbye Kalupa's”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Seems that some of the reviews here are for the old Kalupa's which is now no longer having been bought out by their next door neighbors, Datz's and renamed Dough.

I gave the new place a try this week and on the upside the staff is friendly, the ambience pleasant and the choice of pastries is beautiful although I didn't order anything sweet.

I did, however, order a serving of quiche Lorraine which arrived as a decent sized round pie. Unfortunately it was barely luke warm and if there was bacon in in I couldn't detect it. One small quibble, please get rid of those large mouth cups that cause your coffee to instantly cool and replace with mugs. Pricewise I thought it was slightly overpriced for what I got, $16 for 2 quiche servings plus 2 coffees, somewhere between $12 and $14 would have been more appropriate.

One big plus for Dough, whoever picks out the music is doing a great job, nice mix of jazzy vocals and instrumentations.

Overall not enough to keep me away but deep down inside I kind of wish Kalupa's was still there.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
DatzOwners, Owner at Dough, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Hi TampaTide1!

Thank you for taking the time to visit our new bakery and provide us with some feedback! It sounds like you visited during our soft opening or in the first day or two of business. At that time we were (and in some ways, still are) working out the kinks.If you come back to see us again, I think you will find that the quiche has been improved and is served hotter (yay!) and that we have made other tweaks that have created a better experience. Regarding value, we know our prices may be slightly higher than others in the area, but we are using only premium ingredients in generous portions. We think those considerations result in a better product for our customers. So glad you noticed our music :-) It's fun to pick out!

Thanks again for your business and feedback and we hope to see you again soon.
Clearwater, Florida
“best Cuban sandwich”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

Kalupa's is a really good neighborhood bakery. They have been in the Tampa Bay area for many years. I really love their pressed Cuban sandwich. They make awesome birthday cakes especially for children and yummy cookies. Their prices are competitive. There is a lot of treats to choose from. Parking can be a little tight during the lunch hour and there is limited seating. Service is average.

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“Birthday Cakes to Cupcakes - A South Tampa Landmark”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

My daughter lives in California, but when she comes back for visits there is one place she has to go - Kalupas. I don't know how many generations of South Tampans have become hooked on Mike Kalupa's "beautiful calories", but it is a huge number.

Don't get me wrong - the place has a lot of very healthy breads. The deli has 14 out-of-this-world sandwiches. The danger of going to Kalupa's is you go in to buy one item for dessert, and you come oujt with two arms full of goodies.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Cute Cupcake creations for kids :-)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

Cute Cupcake creations for kids :-)

Been to Dough? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Dough, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.