“Located on the magic mile of Tampa Breakfasts” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #471 of 2,001 Restaurants in Tampa
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Panama City
“Located on the magic mile of Tampa Breakfasts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I am reviewing 4 different breakfast restaurants that are all located within a mile or so of each other on Hillsborough. The other ones are Village Inn, The Ranch House and the Omelet Shoppe. My qualifications for these restaurants are that they serve breakfast any time of the day...which is my favorite meal not just in the mornings.

I have been going to the Garden Grille for almost 10 years off and on when I am working out of Tampa. I think it has had 3 different owners during that time, but overall it has kept a similar level of service and food quality and selection. It is the kind of diner that America is known for and serves quality, reasonably priced food all day long, breakfast lunch and dinner. Still...a new owner might want to upgrade the atmosphere at some point to give it fresh appeal.

I often eat alone while working on the road and this place is very comfortable for that. You usually have your choice of a small booth or they have a counter right at the kitchen entrance for a quick bite. There is also usually a local paper laying around to read while you are waiting for or eating your meal.

Food is fast and hot here. I used to really like their various styles of fruit crepes...until those went off my diet. They have a wide number of omelets to choose from which is probably what I eat 80% of the times I come here.

For a wide range of diner food at a fair price, this is a consistent stop. The current cook is very heavy on the garlic...and while I love my garlic, there have been a couple dishes I have had to send back or request "hold the garlic" on. He also tends to cook the meats at one level...medium...so I tend not to order those since I like my meats on the rarer side of life and juicy. But...for sandwiches and breakfasts...I will continue spending and getting good value for meals at Garden Grille Cafe.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Odessa, Florida, United States
“local diner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

homestyle cooking is tough to find in the Tampa area
This restaurant is a pretty good NY diner type of place

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“Crepes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have been here many times and always bring my sister when she visits from Texas as it her favorite place to eat in Tampa. The crepes are to die for and I also enjoy the eggplant parmesan. In fact, everything I have ever had there is great. They also have great staff. They make sure your coffee is full. The prices are very reasonable. If you want to go to a non chain place I would go here. Yummy!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Clearwater, Florida
“Update from previous update/will not update again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Service was good, owner was out again, but it was earlier, and owner cannot be there 24 hours a day which I realize, food was sub par, I thought I would try it again. Main dish was luke warm and salad was not up to snuff. The old saying 3 strikes and your out. My advice to owner is to get a day manager to help out and hire new cooks. Nothing against the owner she is a very nice a person and a excellent cook herself but will not be returning to the garden grill

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Clearwater, Florida
“Update from last review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We have very good prior experiences, but when the owner is away, it goes like this "When the cats away the mice will play"...... We brought some friends and food was unusually not up to par-then the last time we went we think the cashier miscalculated our bill and it was a lot higher than usual. Its a shame, I hate to see the restaurant fall by the waste side. The owner has a good heart and loves food.

• Visited October 2012