“Best Food And Better than Red Lobster” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shells

Shells
202 S Dale Mabry Hwy, Tampa, FL 33609-2817 (Downtown)
(813) 875-3467
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #246 of 1,963 restaurants in Tampa
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Tampa, Florida
“Best Food And Better than Red Lobster”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I worked there many years ago in tallahassee fl. I was shocked when they went out of business and opening a chick-fil-a in its place. Coming to tampa area i was happy to see there was one here. But, it also went out of business

68% Recommend
Trondheim
“Excellent fresh seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The grilled grouper was fresh today and very good. The vegetable sides were unbelievable! They steamed the veggies like broccoli in bags they told me. They were so tender. I asked for a side salad for $1.50 and they brought a giant bowl that was overflowing. I asked about the claim of "fresh" salmon on the sign and the manager came over for a casual discussion about the quality of the fish. Being from the North I knew this couldn't come from the Gulf and he concurred that fresh meant not frozen so I was satisfied with the explanation. He appreciated the interest in his family's business. The Belgian Shock Top beer on tap was an exciting discovery for me, served ice-cold in a mug. Oh yes I saw many people eating fresh oysters and they looked great. I'll go back for them next time.

Visited January 2013
Clearwater, Florida
“Quality Food at an affordable Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This was a place I used to go to a lot when I lived close to it. It has fresh seafood, relax atmosphere, and pretty good food. The bread is excellent. Most of my extended family enjoys it as well.

Florida
“Expensive Cheap Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We enjoyed the view. That was it. The food did not taste fresh. The fish was dry and over seasoned. The frozen drinks were great. We have not gone back since because of this experience.

Yokosuka, Japan
“Surprisingly good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I wasn't initially impressed walking through the door but the food made up for that. The decor is a bit on the cheezy side as if walking into a touristy seafood restaurant. The menu has your typical assortment of seafood from crabs to shrimp and fresh catches. I decided to have the "signature" dish. Shrimp pasta. It was fantastic. The shrimp were medium sized but plentiful and the pasta with white wine cream sauce was fantastic. I ended up eating way too much as the portion was quite big. My friends had the clam chowder and were amazed at the amount of clams in the chowder. They raved on how well it tasted too. Overall the service was great and the food outstanding. Don't be fooled by the decor and stop in and feast on pretty reasonably priced seafood.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Shells? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Shells, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.