“Consumers Beware - The Customer Will Not Be Right” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Family Fare
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Tampa, Florida
“Consumers Beware - The Customer Will Not Be Right”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Today, being a rainy Sunday morning, seemed like a great time to invite a date to the Brunchery for a pleasant, leisurely weekend meal. While service was prompt and pleasant, and the food portions very tasty and more generous than the two of us could possibly finish, problems arose when it was time to pay the bill. As I have frequently done, I presented a previously purchased Groupon coupon to pay for a portion of the check, along with my American Express card. The server politely told me that my Groupon was not valid on Sundays, and that she would be charging me a 2% surcharge for using an American Express card. When I pointed out the coupon did not indicate any restrictions she brought the manager to my table. I showed him the coupon and he very abruptly told me, "Well, Groupon was supposed to send an email to all of its customers. I guess they didn't." I said I had not received any correspondence from Groupon regarding this offer, and the manager reiterated that it was still not valid on Sundays. At that point I politely paid the check, including a tip to the server, and left the restaurant, planning never to return. I eat out often, at a variety of restaurants. In my experiences, even at a lowly McDonald's, when presented with an issue the management has always attempted to please the customer, no matter who might have been at fault. Not so at The Brunchery. Instead, I was scolded by the manager for not reading the fine print (which indicated NO restrictions), and humilated in front of my date. Rather than the customer always being right, in my case the customer was punished for presenting an offer which was obviously amended after it was issued. Additionally, I was charged a surcharge for using my credit card - a charge that should have been noted before I ordered.

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

55% Recommend
Altamonte Springs, Florida
“Better than average”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

I went to the Brunchery for breakfast and had a good meal. It wasn't the best I've ever had, nor was it average. The place seemed a little crowded (one less table in the restaurant probably would help) and the service could be improved. One of my restaurant peeves is when I have to ask to have my water refilled, which happened here.

• Visited May 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“Good but not today ...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

I'm a generally a huge fan of The Brunchery however, today I had an unpleasant experience. I ordered the Grouper sandwich and as I was eating I thought to myself, 'this doesn't taste fresh and it also has a real potent fishy taste to it.' As I went to pay, I expressed my concern to the cashier and he said, "I wouldn't eat our Grouper sandwich either and it's not even fresh." (I would have told the server but she placed the bill down as soon as the food was served and only came back in the end to pick up our plates.) My server should have been thoughtful enough to make me aware the fish was frozen and not fresh and if it wasn't a recommended dish recommend something else. I will definitely go back, however I do not recommend anyone ordering the Grouper sandwich

• Visited April 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sanibel, FL
“Staff are nice. Prices are fair. Garage...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

Staff are nice. Prices are fair. Garage sale decor. Lots of dark water stains on drop ceiling. Hash browns are really french fries cooked in bacon grease. I asked my server to leave the meat off my plate and he didn't clue into the fact that I might not want the hash brown cooked in bacon grease. We didn't really care for thu place.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
PA
“Delicious!!! Highly Recommend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

Discovered the Brunchery via restaurant.com, while looking for a place for breakfast. Not being from the Tampa area, I was a little hesitant, but our extended family of 10 decided it was worth a try. The restaurant is small, and very busy. We were seated pretty quickly, given the size of our group, at two tables next to each other. There is a wide variety on the menu & daily specials. Almost everyone ordered something different & all the food looked great & tasted even better. Our waitress had recommended the teddy bear pancake, its face decorated with food, for the two young children. They were a big hit. We had a variety of beverages - the specialty coffee of the day was excellent & reasonably priced. The hot chocolate was piled high with whipped cream & delicious.
The restaurant is located in a small plaza & is a bit hard to find, if you are not familiar with the area. Don't go if you are in a hurray. Because of the size of the place, you may have to wait to be seated - there was a line waiting when we left. The atmosphere isn't anything special - kind of plain, with a touch of country. The emphasis is on the food.
Service is pretty good, although we had to remind our waitress a couple of times when we needed something.
Should I visit the Tampa area again - I would make a point to return to the Brunchery. The food is excellent & reasonable for what you get. For 8 adults & 2 children, including beverages, tax & tips (18% added for large groups) , it came to about $13 per person. It was a special treat - everyone left well satisfied!

• 5 of 5 stars Food