“Definitely an old Tampa tradition” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #258 of 1,964 restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Atlanta, Georgia
“Definitely an old Tampa tradition”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I have pass this place so many times and had wondered about it so when it was suggested that we go there it was fine with me. I researched it and found the history on it...been around since 1935 and have grown and evolved over the years...so I was eager to experience it. We had a booth with a great view. The food was decent but the service was very, very slow. The waiter was good but the food and drinks just took longer than they should have. I had the Key West Crab cakes which was one of the special...it was good, no bread fillers, my son had fried shrimp which he liked,my Mom had a bowl of clam chowder which she seemed to enjoy..very rich. I would go back because it is so convenient to where I stay when I am in Tampa but would figure in the slow service. The view is nice but something about the ambiance is a little off for some reason.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

63% Recommend
Tampa, Florida
“Good view, so-so food, indifferent service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Went with another couple on a Saturday night and sat in the bar since it was a long wait, so we even missed out on the view. Service was very slow, sodas ran dry. Soup came out cold and they forgot the dipping sauce. Then they forgot to bring it again after I requested it. The orange curry chicken was ok, but the sauce I eventually got was a basic sweet and sour, not an orange curry. The other meals were reportedly ok, nothing to get excited about. It would have not been so bad except for the very slow service - a very average experience in a restaurant that in past years has seen much better quality.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
st croix us vi
“Great Seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

First we went on a WHIM we got the same reference from 3 independent sources the Parking attendant at the Tampa Aquarium, a retail sales lady and a fellow tourist who over heard us asking for a recommendation. First Location, Location, Location I didn't see a seat in the house that didn't offer some sort of view of the bay! Second staff staff staff the front of the house the wait staff funny cute honest knowledgable definite yes would go back I am highly recommending it to you all my friends.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“The Colonnade a Tampa Tradition”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

The Colonnade is a Tampa classic that everyone should enjoy. The seafood is great, especially the Fried Shrimp and as a treat try the alligator. This family owned business has served the Tampa Bay area well and whether you want a great dinner or a leisurely lunch sitting in the booth overlooking beautiful Tampa Bay, this is a must when coming to Tampa, There will always be the new and upcoming restaurants but the tried and true should be cherished as well. Good eating for all!

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

We were wary from having read the other reviews, but this turned out to be just what we were looking for as our Tampa seafood experience. Decided to come when our cab driver recommended it. Charmaine provided attentive and speedy service. The crab stuffed mushroom caps were generous with the crab, the salad was standard fare, the coconut fried shrimp was delicate and HOT. I even liked the collard greens with bacon. The regular fried shrimp was a bit too bready for my husband's taste, but the key lime pie made up for it! Two entrees, two drinks, and dessert all for $58.