“The best crab cake in Florida!” 4 of 5 stars

2900 Bayport Drive, Tampa, FL 33607-1486
+1 813-207-6815
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Oystercatchers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 1,918 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Doing business, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Courtney Campbell Cswy / SR 60/Exit Bayport Dr.
St. Petersburg, Florida
“The best crab cake in Florida!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This was a real find. I had lunch on the veranda of the restaurant with a magnificent view of Tampa Bay. The sourdough bread (which I don't usually eat bread) was so yummy I wanted more. They brought this smoked salt with the bread that I have since become addicted to!! Putting a little salt on the bread with the whipped butter was an experience unto itself. The crab cake rivaled any Maryland crab cake. I worked in Maryland and had many crab cakes. I would put this up against the crab cake from Ruth's Chris in Annapolis to see which is better. Very good experience overall.

Visited May 2013

• Turkish first
Tampa, Florida
“A Brunch Buffet with a View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

On a previous trip to Oystercatchers I was mostly impressed by the service and attentiveness of the staff. This trip was no different and as soon as 11am hit (a law in the state of Florida), we were treated to sparkling wine and OJ. From there, we were never without a drink. In fact, we were never at a point where one gulp would have finished the glass off. With glass always full, I never thirsted for mimosa.

The drink options at Oystercatchers are varied, with more than just the standard mimosa and Bloody Mary options. In fact, they also have a dispenser of their sweet, full-bodied red sangria available, included in the price of the buffet as well.

Oystercatchers does an exceptional job of providing everything one would need for their crafted Bloody Mary drink, from shrimp and bacon to celery, olives and the like. There is also an option to dip the rim of your glass into different flavors. Bloody Mary options included traditional, clammato and extra spicy.

Oystercatchers features a wide array of remarkable meat slices and beautiful cheese pieces. Some favorites included drunken goat cheese and of course, salami. On the side is an iced display of various caviars that is pretty exciting if you are in to that sort of thing.

The Marinated Mushrooms in an herb oil was my favorite bite of the whole brunch. Tucked at the end of a line of salads, these mushrooms should have been on their own pedestal so everyone would know how amazing they are. A sucker for mushrooms, I had to keep myself from filling up on them. Another favorite was the Mozzarella and Tomato Salad with fresh cheese, basil oil and shaved red onions.

For breakfast, we're talking Lobster Eggs Benedict, Macadamia Nut Pancakes, Alligator Bayou Sausage, and Maple Cured Bacon.

The Eggs Benedict topped with lobster meat was a highlight on this menu. Sweet lobster meat, mixed with poached egg yolk, is a delicate combination that I coveted the taste of. The pancakes had the perfect hint of sweet oil from the macadamia nut.

Although I stupidly chose to skip the omelette station, I believe others should take full advantage. With quail eggs as an option, it's certainly an interesting station to try out. These eggs are cage free.

The buffet lines at Oystercatchers are changed up on a weekly basis so they can offer up different flavor profiles to their guests. On the menu Sunday was Flank Steak, Strawberry Grouper, Mojo Chicken, Mussels Saute, Baby Vegetable Boutique which included zucchinis and peppers, and Yellow Rice with Red Beans.

The flank steak was grilled and marinated, covered by one of my favorite sauces, Chimichurri. Since discovering my love for Chimichurri sauce at a restaurant in Ybor, I've become obsessed with ordering any dish that includes this garlicky goodness. While Oystercatchers doesn't rank near the top of my Chimichurri sauce fanaticism, it was good.

Perhaps my favorite aspect of the brunch buffet is the pasta station. Since you can pretty much create whichever kind of pasta dish you want, it's a fun station to experiment with.

I chose spaghetti in a vodka sauce with a touch of pesto and sauteed mushrooms. I loved the flavors, with the pesto bringing a brightness to the entire course.

This trip, pastas included spaghetti, penne, gnocchi, and spinach, feta, and sundried tomato ravioli. Sauce options included alfredo, marinara, pesto and vodka sauce. Lastly, toppings available were grilled chicken, cooked shrimp, pesto, roasted mushrooms, artichoke hearts, poached asparagus, julienne proscuitto and Kalamata olives. The first time I visited Oystercatchers, they were featuring a lobster and cheese ravioli, more proof that things are switched up now and again to offer something new.

Whew, that seems like it would be plenty and normally, it may be. However, we still have many options to nosh through. Oystercatchers has a raw bar with chilled seafood options such as poached shrimp, seared ahi tuna, gulf oysters that have been freshly shucked, and marinated mussels. During my next visit to Oystercatchers I'll be sure to eat more shrimp than I should, but it was now time to dedicate the small area of my stomach left unfilled with sushi and dessert.

The most visually appealing dish of the buffet was also the favorite among a number of my blogging friends. As they raved about the spring roll, I took the opportunity to get one for myself, pairing with spicy mayo and sweet thai sauces. The spring roll was cold and crunchy, a roll that I loved every element of.

The two sushi rolls featured were California and Spicy Tuna. Oystercatchers also had hummus with grilled pita bread and seaweed salad.

Desserts included creme brulee, chocolate cake, an ice cream station, orange creamsicle cupcakes, fondue, and mousse in an edible container, among many, many more.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“Good service, good food, secluded location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

The first thing I liked about this location was drive up to it. Plush grounds @ the Hyatt. The good service started with the valet guy, he was nice and helpful. Our waiter was helpful as well. The food I tried on the menu was the salmon tartar (delicious), the calamari (ok, kind of chewy) is what they are good at, and the special for the day: creole based grouper w/ crab meat on top (pretty good). The wine selection has quality as well. The manager was very nice and friendly to us and just because if that me and my wife will be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Met an old and dear friend!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I happened to remember, while I was traveling to Tampa, that a dear old friend had recently moved to the suburbs of Tampa. I gave her a call we planned to have dinner Tuesday night. Being new to the area , I inquired from locals about a special place tto have dinner. They recommended Oystercatchers. Reservations were made and it was going to be a great night. The restaurant is on a bay and we had a beautiful view of the water and the lightening storms in the distance. Dinner consisted of Ceviche trio, Gulf Snapper, and Seafood Paella. Dessert was the Key Lime pie. It was a great dinner, although, I found the staff a little too attentive. Maybe, we just wanted to slow things down to enjoy the beautiful views and friendship. I would definitely return if in Tampa!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“Champagne and Caviar Brunch with a view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Ever since I moved to Tampa, Oystercatchers Brunch was on my "must do list". Myself along with 5 other Tampa Food Bloggers set out for an early Sunday morning brunch. Upon arrival we had an introduction about Oystercatchers brunch from the talented Chef de Cuisine, Hector Pabon. Chef explained that he changes up the menu every week and during this visit, we experienced a Florida Cuba style brunch.

We found ourselves among unlimited mimosa's & champagne (hooray for Chateau Ste. Michelle bubbles!). Seriously, our glasses did not go beyond half empty once. A fully stocked Bloody Mary Bar with three different concoctions - traditional, clamato and extra spicy. Two different flavor rimmers and multiple options in the stuffed olive category. Oh - and BACON. There was also a Sangria station!

Walking to our table, I instantly fell in love with Oystercatchers Brunch - my caviar obsessed eyes went straight to a table full of different types of caviar. Next to the Caviar station was a beautiful piece of salmon with every topping imaginable. Then, my eyes focused on the cheese and caricature board. One of the cheese selections was "drunken goat" and I am currently in hunt for what may be my new favorite cheese.

Let's move onto breakfast items, shall we. Our fantastic server greeted us with bubbles and explained the various stations. Breakfast, Lunch, Raw bar, pasta bar, salad stations, sushi and of course everything I mentioned above....oh and a dessert bar not to be missed. More on that later. He explained our omelet station would have every topping one could desire (it did) and various eggs, egg whites and QUAIL EGGS! I decided to get a spinach, mushroom, garlic, bacon and quail egg omelet. While it was delicious, I am generally an egg white kinda of gal and this was a bit rich for me. Also on the plate below is.....drum roll please......a lobster egg Benedict. My breakfast gods have died and gone to heaven.

One of the tables favorite items on the menu was the spring rolls with every dipping sauce you could imagine. I have a weakness for spring rolls - I don't feel guilty eating them and these were delicious. Oystercatchers had two different sushi rolls available this day, tuna and California. There was also a large variety of Salads, Ceviche, roasted mushrooms and one of the best chicken salads I have ever had.

The lunch table had a beautiful Roast of Veal, their take on french onion soup, steak w/ chimmichuri sauce, paela, mahi with strawberry sauce and more.

I was beyond impressed with the pasta station. Offering house-made pasta - everything from linguine to ravioli to gnocchi. I opted with a unique concoction - gnocchi, vodka sauce, prosciutto, sun-dried tomato, chicken and asparagus. I lost all self control. My flavors were a bit odd but the sauce and the gnocchi were very good.

Let's take a visit over to the dessert bar. I went in with a full stomach and wide eyes.They had bananas fosters, apple biegnet, a full ice cream sundea bar, multiple pastrys, cupcakes, cakes, candies, let your imagination run wild.

This was a FANTASTIC brunch that is well worth the price.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Oystercatchers? Share your experiences!