“Not worth the money” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Donatello is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #103 of 2,001 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: J.F. Kennedy Blvd
Transit: Bus 36 stops in front of the restaurant.
Valrico, Florida
“Not worth the money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Our total tab was $432.00 for 5 people. Food was good, not great, portions small. Our waiter was arrogant, not friendly or helpful, sometimes we felt rushed (still looking at the menu & they came asking for our order a couple of times). restaurant was pretty empty, didnt even need reservations. I called ahead to alert of birthday celebration (they said they had it taken care of), but they never addressed it at all like they never heard of it. The 2 desserts we ordered had more whip cream then actual cake.Minestrone soup (14.00) had only cabbage, carrot slices & 1 potato, bowl was filled with broth.The agnolotti had such a small amount of filling, it covered the size of a fingernail. Asparagus side dish was 13.00 & there were 9 very thin spears. On a positive note, our water glass was always filled, thanks to the busboy and the lighting was pleasant.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Charleston
“Best italian food in Tampa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Wonderful meal from beginning to end. It's tough for a restaurant to hit every dish well, but Donatello's does it with ease. My only concern was with the service timing of the appetizers. I put this restaurant on par with the quality of Berns.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Seminole, Florida
“Lovely, but not wrth the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

We went to Donatello's because a gift certificate was given to us by my former boss when I retired. We recently moved to Florida, and he had heard that Donatello's was a very good restaurant.
I must begin my review by prefacing it with the fact that I am from the northeast, specifically NE PA, where there are numerous excellent Italian restaurants, both northern & southern Italian cuisine, at reasonable prices.
Donatello's was definitely overpriced, and, I felt, did not meet the caliber of northern Italian food I have had in PA. We sat at the bar before being seated and ordered a martini & a manhattan. The bar bill was $24.61 for 2 drinks! Wow! No wonder we were the only customers seated at the bar.
They actually has lobster thermidor on the menu for $89.00. We both ordered veal dishes as that is what I usually order in restaurants serving northern Italian cuisine. They were $29.99 each, but nothing to write home about.
Where Donatello's excels is the ambiance. The place was lovely and the service was impeccable. However, while I enjoy ambiance, I go out to eat primarily for the food, and I didn't think that Donatello's was at all equal to its prices.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Fl
“Lovely evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

The atmosphere was charming, the host and waitstaff welcoming and very accommodating. Arrived early and enjoyed some time at the bar before a very nice dinner. Opera Tampa provided singers who serenaded us with beautiful arias on this special evening which added to the ambiance. A bit pricier than most for pasta dishes, but the food was very good.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Excellent find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Visited donatello this evening for the first time. having moved to florida from Ct. last year, it is still difficult to find an "excellent Italian restaurant". We felt we hit paydirt tonight. Fried calarmari and mussels in a red sauce were excellent. As were both of our entrees. From guido greeting us at the door to finish everything was wonderful. Pricey but we recommend it.

• Visited August 2013