“Best Sushi in Tampa Bay!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Oldsmar, Florida
“Best Sushi in Tampa Bay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Wow, what an incredible sush and Japanese restaurant. Order the Dynamite appetizer right away since it takes about 20 minutes. The staff is wonderful, always smiling and helping. The sushi very fresh with a lot of traditional Japanese favorites for the non sushi eater. Highly recommended.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Tampa, Florida
“It's alright.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

It's okay. I don't know why everyone makes such a big deal out of it. If anyone hasn't tried Sushi Alive yet, then I would high recommend it. My server who was a little slow and forgetful. I'm pretty sure it was one of the new owners since the previous owners left. I came before with my family and I ordered a chicken dish for dinner, but the server (one of the owners) forgot to put it in. I came in again and I ordered and she forgot again. I didn't say anything this time though because I probably won't come back. I also have heard her talk rudely about another customer as I walked to the bathroom before so it's not really comforting. The environment is nothing like how it was before with the old owners.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“Family Lunch!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Took my mom and nephew out for lunch today. The sushi was very delicious and my Nephew had a California Roll. He said it was very tasty. The only thing that needs improved on is the service. Our server was busy talking with the other servers and busy texting on her phone. Service was very poor today. But I have always loved this restaurant. Sushi was very delicious and tasty!!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bartow, Florida
“Nice staff - great if you like sushi.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We are not sushi fans but others in party had dined here the night before and liked it. We'd have probably liked it more if we liked sushi, but we don't. We ordered the combination box (shrimp & veggie tempura, beef teriaki, & chicken something). It was ok - but nothing special. Probably won't go back, but not because of bad food, just not our kind of place. The staff was friendly and efficient.

Visited January 2013
Lakeland, Florida
“A long time favorite restaurant of mine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I've been eating at Ichiban for probably fifteen years now. They're located in one of the many strip malls near USF Tampa. Entering the restaurant, you have the sushi bar on your right, the main dining area, a small back dining room in back, and a small tatami mat room on the left. The same two ladies have been running this place for years and the place feels like a family hangout if you frequent it regularly. They aren't high style and glitz, decor is minimal and some aspects of the furnishings are getting a little worn. Service for me and my friends has always been friendly and personable. I've never had anything from the menu that was less than professionally prepared. Friends of mine from California who had despaired of finding decent Japanese food in central Florida now drive an hour to get there. However, be aware that the place is small and the staff can get overwhelmed during busy times. When that happens, service can get s..l..o..w and I have seen staff get a wee cranky. Portion size is always generous and prices are fair. Lunch boxes are a particular bargain IMO. Their fish quality can be variable (never less than good in my experience) but in this price range, it's not reasonable to expect top flight A+ grade sashimi every time.

• Visited December 2012