“Delicious Dinner” 5 of 5 stars

4342 West Boy Scout Blvd, Tampa, FL 33607
(813) 873-7697
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Roy's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 1,976 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Sushi, Asian, Hawaiian, Pacific Rim
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: N Manhattan Avenue
Tampa, Florida, United States
“Delicious Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you are looking for an upscale restaurant where the drinks and food are both unique and delicious then Roy's is the spot! The Hawaiian themed ambiance is perfect for date nights, professional dinners/lunches or joining friends for a dinner where everyone can enjoy the diverse menu. Although I ordered sushi, some of the non-fish loving guests with my party ordered steak, chicken and short ribs-all of which received raving reviews. The staff was very professional and friendly. Wonderful restaurant where you will eat sophisticated food and enjoy a relaxing upscale restaurant experience.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Always an excellent meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

First visit to this location, although visited this group many times. The food , service and attentiveness is and always has been top notch. We started the evening with the lobster potstickers- which were quite good, for the entree it was the misoyaki butterfish, cooked to perfection - and melts in your mouth! The topper was the chocolate souffle. Again perfection and sinfully delicious! Awesome food and service! Can't wait for my next visit.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
oldsmar, Florida, USA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food, but...not so special”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The 4 of us went to Roy's to celebrate my wife's birthday last week, and set up a reservation for a Saturday night. When I called to reconfirm, the person I spoke with said to "email in a picture of your wife and we'll personalize the menu with it." I thought that sounded pretty cool so I took the time to find a pic that I liked, and emailed it in (sent a CC to myself to ensure the actaul picture appeared in the email)...but when we arrived it wasn't there on the menu. No big deal, but it was a little disappointing after taking the time to get it to them

They had sprinkled some "Happy Birthday" confetti on the table, and placed an insert in the menu with my wife's name on it wishing her a happy birthday which was appreciated.

The dinner was quite good -butterfish and filet mignon were excellent, my wife's lobster, scallop, crab cake combo quite good while the chicken dish I had was somewhat average and underwhelming (I know, who orders chicken at a seafood restaurant?)-, and the waitress told us that if we wanted to order one of their specialty desserts (soufflé or pineapple upside cake) we needed to order it ahead of time as it takes about 20 minutes. My son decided he'd like to try the latter of the 2, so when our waitress brought out our entrees, he said that he'd like to try it.

About 5 minutes after they cleared our dinner plates, the waitress brought out the pineapple upside down cake with a candle, and 'happy birthday' written on the plate; she then asked if we wanted a picture of the 4 of us taken, which was nice; she did - and then promptly disappeared.

Although I appreciated the gesture, the dessert was for my son not my wife; no problem, we'll order something else for the rest of us along with some coffee. Well, unfortunately we didn't get the chance as the waitress didn't reappear for a good 15 minutes. The 4 of us shared the dessert, and waited...and waited. She finally reappeared with our picture, and she asked if everything was alright. I told her that although the cake was good, the rest of us would've enjoyed some dessert and coffee, but that we'd been sitting for so long waiting, we'd really just like the check.

When she brought the check she said "because I dropped the ball I didn't charge you for the dessert." The right thing to do in that case, but at that point it was too little too late. We actually stopped at Publix on the way home and bought some ice cream and cake; not something you should have to do when you go to a restaurant to celebrate a 'special occasion.' It was a disappointing end to what could've been a very nice evening.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
1 Thank rick g
Jeannie L, Guest Relations Manager at Roy's Restaurant, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Special occasions are supposed to be just that, special and we're so sorry to have dropped the ball right from the start with not having the photo in the menu, as the hostess asked for the picture to be emailed.

We're sorry you have to wait so long, and to top it off buy ice cream and cake from the grocery store. Our Managing Partner would like to talk to you about your experience if you wouldn't mind getting in touch with me with your phone number. My email is jlee@roysrestaurant.com.

Best wishes and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Jeannie Lee @ Roy's Restaurant
Neenah, Wisconsin
“So Good, I Wrote This Before I Left”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Thank you Trip Advisor for leading me here. Near the airport, I wanted a great meal that I wouldn't find everywhere, and the reviews led me here.

I was immediately seated and treated very well by Neil, a waiter in the bar area. Friendly and courteous.

I was given complimentary seasoned edamame and a shrimp savechi. Both very flavorful. My appetizer was Tuna Poke - wow! I could order three of those and have a great light meal.

I was dining light, so I had the Maui Wowie salad - featuring poached tiger shrimp, avocado and a caper lime vinaigrette.

If you've read my other reviews, you know I appreciate good dining. And this is great dining. Along with fantastic food, I enjoyed a stylish, intimate atmosphere. This would be a great place to bring a date and create and impression and memory that won't break the bank.

Do yourself a favor and stop here.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Palm Harbor, FL
“Initially Down, then very much 'Up' Moment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

As we do every year, we reserved a table for our wedding anniversary dinner at Roy's (Has a lot of sentimental value for our personal reasons, plus we do love it).
After I, the husband, informed the person taking our reservations of the importance of this dinner, plus confirming the anniversary dinner with the hostess that greeted us, we were placed in the very back corner table next to the Fire Exit Door; what's up with that? For an hour there were no more than 6 tables being used and they had to throw in the back corner where we didn't have any sort of view, and the waitress took an amazing time walking from the kitchen area to get to our table! We dressed well, we showered/combed our hair, brushed our teeth and used deodorant; the anniversary table is shunned to back corner? WTF?
Subsequently, we were anointed with a less than adequate waitress; rest assured, but I won't get into the details.
What totally saved the entire evening was our food, which was impeccably prepared, and 'Kal Harris' - The Hospitality Manager.
To say Mr. Harris stepped in and stepped up to literally bring the experience back up to Roy's traditional standards is waaaay more than an understatement. He came by our table more times than our waitress, arranged an 'Anniversary' Dessert Platter that encompassed the entire dessert menu, and overall made us feel extremely welcome, wanted, and special.
We can not describe how professional and appreciated we are towards Kal. He was absolutely engaged and expressed happiness that we were enjoying our special evening as a family. Anyone associated with Roy's management, should call attention to this review because it literally saved a long term customer never returning to this particular location due to the start of the evening.
We will now be back!