“Thoroughly Enjoyed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Samurai Blue Sushi & Sake Bar

Samurai Blue Sushi & Sake Bar
1600 E 8th Ave Ste C208, Tampa, FL 33605 (Historic Ybor)
(813) 242-6688
Neighborhood: Historic Ybor
Spring Hill, Florida
“Thoroughly Enjoyed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Staying overnight at a nearby hotel, did a search with my tripadvisor app for nearby restaurants and stumbled upon Samurai Blue Sushi & Sake Bar. Had a nice walk through Ybor City and had a phenomenal meal! Read some other reviews about terrible service, but we experienced a friendly efficient staff. No complaints from us! I will definitely go back for the sushi, the atmosphere and the great service!

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Bar Harbor, Maine
“Great Sushi, Terrible Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

I was vacationing in Orlando for a couple of days and was craving sushi...good sushi. Went online and read some rave reviews on Samurai Blue so I did the hour or so drive to Tampa to check it out. It was a Saturday evening and despite the fact I called last minute for reservations, they managed to fit me in. As soon as I arrived, noticed how crowded it was...obviously, the place to be in Tampa. I was immediately seated and had to wait a while for our server, Keychie, who, by the way, was not the friendliest person. It was like pulling teeth for her to tell us of any specials and what they're known for... she was not attentive in the least bit and couldn't seem to focus even when taking my order. Ordered some rolls and nigiri and it did not disappoint. The sushi was fabulous. It was fresh and not all rice. The reviews on their sushi were definitely spot on. Prior to dinner I ordered a specialty drink-Lychee-tini... delish!! After scarfing down my dinner, I slowed down a bit and decided to take the time to savor my drink. I must have irritated the hostess because the exact moment I took the last sip, she swooped in and took my martini glass away...hence, the subtle end to my evening at Sumurai. I was barely there for 50 minutes but yet was rushed out. If you're looking for great fresh sushi, try this place but don't expect much as far as service. I truly believe a great food experience is a culmination of food and ambiance. This restaurant doesn't have both.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Overall, glad we went”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I had lunch there on New Years Day and was very happy with the food...no complaints. Great sushi rolls, tempura, and noodle soup. Service was however slow which was surprising as there were only two tables seated. Also, the music they play was abnoxiously loud; our waitress agreed but said she couldn't control that.....? We will go back solely for the food.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tampa, Florida
“Wow - great sushi!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

We stopped in for a late lunch a little before their mid-day closing time of 2pm. The server was gracious, and the food rally good. The sushi came eight portions to an order and it was just enough. The ginger was fresh and crunchy, the wasabi with an appropriate bite, and the sushi cold and tasty. We'll be back for sure!!

Sarasota, FL
“One of the top sushi places in Tampa, and points added for late night service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is a pretty cool place. Lots of places in Ybor have great atmosphere provided there aren't any gang shootings going on in the vicinity. This sushi bar is in a tall brick building, so the ceilings are about 20-30 feet tall. Some booths for privacy and regular tables. They are late night, open and serving until 2 AM, and its rare to find a sushi place that is open that late.

Even more so, it's rare to find a late night sushi place with really good sushi. My girlfriend and I split crab rangoons - I hate crab rangoons. I think fried shells with crab and cream cheese just don't mix. But this place thought of adding sweet chili sauce, which changes everything. We also split a spicy tuna roll, a spicy yellow tail roll, and a third roll that I could name if I looked it up on the website but don't want to take the time. Sorry, look it up yourself. What I can tell you is that it was crab wrapped in cucumber. NOT a California roll, and not a rice or seaweed wrap. The wrap was a thin slice of cucumber, which made the roll so crisp and refreshing. It was excellent - one of the better sushi pieces I have had.

Service was excellent, sushi came out quick, and drinks were quickly refilled. It was a pretty dead time - around 10 or 11 - so that might have made it easier on the server. But still, this was excellent. Highly recommend coming here to anyone.

I'm giving it 5 stars because it is one of the best sushi places I've been to in the tampa area. I don't know if it was the best, but it's certainly up there. Even if it isn't the best, it deserves 4.5 stars and I'm rounding up.

• Visited October 2013