“do you like wine?” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Belle Isle, Florida, United States
“do you like wine?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I don't, but my husband though this place was great. I must confess, I like all the bars in Ybor. They have other beverages, thank goodness :)

Visited January 2014

Fayetteville, West Virginia
“Nice selection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I tasted one white, one red. The proprietor was extremely helpful in aiding my selection and the brie cheese board was a nice accompaniment to them. If I've one complaint, it is simply that it gets a little noisy.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hudson, Florida
“Amazing little wine bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I went to this wine bar with 3 other people and had a wine flight and ordered the large cheese board. This was one of the best wine tastings any of us had been on. The man severing us was extremely kind and very knowledgeable. He would pour the wine tell us about it then return to the bar to let us enjoy the wine and the conversation. The cheese and crackers with some fruit, brownie bites and olives was amazing.

I HIGHLY recommend this wine bar was quaint with indoor and outdoor sitting, a wonderful atmosphere and outstanding service.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sarasota, FL
“A nice little wine bar with good people watching.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I debated with myself over giving this place 3 or 4 stars. As is typically the case with me, I would probably say 3.5 and round it one way or the other. So, lets call it 3.5 rounded down because of the wines we were served.

My girlfriend bought a living social certificate for a flight of 5 wines for 2. The wines were at the discretion of the bar, which is fine since I don't know anything about wines other than what I like. We were served a sparkling wine, 2 whites, and 2 reds. The sparkling was okay, but that's almost where it ended. Two of the wines we were served were like drinking sugar soaked in wine. Rieslings are one thing, this was above and beyond sweet - like there should have been a surgeon general or American Dental Association warning on the label. The one or two dry wines we were served weren't much better. Similar in that they took the characteristic (dry in this case, instead of sweet) and intensified it by an obnoxious level. It was like drinking the desert.

I appreciate the fact that living social customers are not your best customers, and you're not going to serve your best wines. In fact, I'm fine with serving new wines or ones that are not ordered very often. Try to expand the horizons of your customers. But it almost seemed like he was giving us wines that he couldn't sell just to get rid of them. I really couldn't imagine anyone liking 2 or 3 of these, but I guess everyone has their own tastes and maybe there are people out there who like drinking sugar water (besides the giant bug in the first Men in Black movie) or who prefer drinking sand.

I'm still giving it 3 stars though for a couple of reasons. One is that the service was very good (outside of the wine selections he made). The gentleman was very knowledgeable. There were one or two wines he seemed iffy on, but he had such an in depth knowledge of the others that it made up for it. Second is the location. Once we found it (which wasn't easy), there was some awesome people watching. Finding it is difficult though since it has an 8th ave address in that complex in Ybor with the movie theater, but it's on the 7th avenue side.

I'd probably come back, but only if I chose my own wines.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Grayson, Georgia
“A must visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

This place is like having a glass of wine on your patio,,, excellent wine selection perfect pairing of cheese etc to go with wine or beer which for a wine bar has awesome selection of craft beer.
Mike and Mea were both experts in not only teaching about wine but recommending a selection from your previous favorites.
A must do in Tampa

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Ybor City Wine Bar? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Ybor City Wine Bar, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.