“Great location in downtown Tampa” 3 of 5 stars

Floridan Palace Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   905 North Florida Avenue, Tampa, FL   |
Ranked #95 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Orlando, FL
“Great location in downtown Tampa”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

First I'd like to start by saying I would give this hotel 3 1/2 stars. My husband and I stayed here for one night on a recent weekend trip to Tampa for the Gasparilla half marathon. We spent a lot of time near the convention center area and this hotel is very close to the action. Definitely a great location. The hotel is considered a Tampa landmark. It is very old Florida.

Hotel offers valet parking for $15/night. There is also some street parking available. We used both options depending on if we found street parking or not. We had a corner room, so it was very large. The bathroom has a separate sink area which I prefer. The bed was decent, but the pillows were too fluffy for my liking. I also had a hard time sleeping. I think part of it was because of usual pre-race jitters. There was also some noise from traffic from the street (I'm usually a heavy sleeper and this doesn't bother me, but again I was nervous about the race). I liked that the room had an empty mini-fridge so I could actually store my stuff inside.

My major complaint was no in-room coffee maker! But my husband was able to find coffee in the lobby. Just threw me off a little. Also no ice maker on the floor, so went down to lobby for that. Overall the stay was decent and the price was pretty fair. If I am ever in Tampa again, I would consider staying here again, mainly because of the location. Nothing really stands out or wows me but overall I can't complain.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

The worst hotel i ever been to. The people are rude and the service is not there number one priority. The outside is dirty and trash everywhere. No carts for your luggage so you have to carry everything up stairs. The room was dusty and the window needed a good wash. I do not recommend this hotel to no one. And for the price they should of made it more comfortable and easy.

• Stayed February 2015
Central Florida, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

First of all this is a really nice property. It is clean and the furniture is vintage looking but very clean. They have obviously spent a great deal of money on renovations. The people were very friendly and helpful so it seems they have taken care of that little problem. They have shampoo soap and lotion now as well. The beds are a little firm for my taste but some people like that. I did not like the bedding they has a rolled up fleece blanket at the foot of the bed bust it wasn't very warm. I myself prefer a real blanket. Now the A/C was amazing it was a self contained unit so I was a little concerned at first but man did that thing crank out some air. When you wanted a certain temp you got it instantly and I liked that, the room could be arctic cold if that's what you wanted. Now much to my surprise they didn't have a coffee maker in the room and they did have coffee in the lobby but it was served in those little Styrofoam cups without lids. So I think the hotel could probably splurge for a few 12$ coffee makers. Overall I really liked this property and the price was very reasonable. I will be staying their again.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

It still looked like the hotel was going through renovations and it was not as nice as I thought from the pictures.

Room was decent size. Bed and pillows were hard as a rock. It was so uncomfortable.

I went to use the gym and it was a joke. First, the gym consisted of 1, yes 1 treadmill, and 1 exercise bike. Secondly, it looked like it was not touched my housekeeping. It was not maintained at all. I went there on 2 separate days and it looked exactly the same. The weights were scattered everywhere, a cone was covering something that was protruding from the floor, and even the air vent was not closed. In addition, there was no towels or wipes to clean the equipment after use. I had to go to the front desk to get some. I thought maybe it ran out since I went at the end of the day but when i went again, it was exactly how I saw it last.

They have a bar and restaurant in the hotel. I didn't go there but it looked average.

You get free wi-fi as well but it was so slow and sometimes did not connect in the rooms which got frustrating at times.

For the price I paid, it was definitely was not worth it.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The staff at the front desk was not friendly or professional. The rate of the room was extremely high for what was offered. We had issues with the hot water temperature and pressure and when we addressed issue with front desk they said maintenance was working on and offers no apology or even a slight care that we had a low pressure luke warm shower. Hotel is way to pricey for what you get. Very cool building if you like old walk through and stay anywhere else!

• Stayed February 2015
Perry, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We were in Tampa to visit my son who lives there and works at night in downtown. He wanted us near and had heard what a good job was done renovating the property. We checked in and the toilet which is right near the bed kept running. I called front desk, the response was"I'll see if can get someone to maybe fix it". Never to be seen. Later in the evening when it was really cold, our heater would not work. I called, and the response was "maintenance is all over the building trying to fix heaters." 2 hours later I called again for a blanket, because all they have on the beds is sheet and light weight cover. Response" I know, we are short of blankets and are looking for more". When we checked out, my son told how disappointed we were in the service for the prices they charge for the rooms. Response"OK Sir"I will never recommend this place to anyone. At least tell me you are sorry!!!!!

Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
SAINT PETERSBURG
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This property under went a complete renovation in 2012 and it shows. Every surface has been refreshed. The rooms were very nicely appointed with period furniture and had an elegant feel. The bathrooms were roomy and the shower enclosures were done in a rich stone. My complaints about the room were all bathroom oriented. There were no hooks to hang a robe or used towel. The bar code labels were still on the toilet. The water pressure was not great but that may be because we were on the fifteenth floor.

We checked in on Valentines day and while their website and the front desk confirmed we could check in at 2PM when we got to the front desk we were told we would have to wait until 3PM. We left and got something to eat and when we came back at three there was no doorman so we had to wrestle our luggage up two flights of stairs. Then in the lobby there were no luggage carts so we had to wrestle our luggage into the elevator and to our room.

The front desk seemed understaffed for a fully booked night and there was quite a wait to get checked in. The staff at the desk were friendly and helpful. However, flowers that were delivered to the room only after several calls and did not get to the room until after 11. And this was after being told by the front desk that they had not arrived when we came back in. I verified delivery called back down to the desk and they "found" the delivery.

That all being said, it is a beautiful property in downtown Tampa.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Floridan Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!