“Beautiful Hotel but not much for nightlife” 4 of 5 stars

Floridan Palace Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   905 North Florida Avenue, Tampa, FL   |
Ranked #97 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Beautiful Hotel but not much for nightlife”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The hotel itself is beautiful and well kept. Very clean and the rooms are spacious. There is a great NEED for coffee makers in the rooms! Made getting ready in the morning without a cup not a great way to start the day. Also, a better quality of toiletries would be appreciated.
The meal I had at the bar was good and prices for food & drinks were very reasonable. All bartenders were very friendly and offered recommendations for things to do in the area. The front desk staff was less than impressive. Both encounters I had with different staff members were lacking friendliness, a smile and recommendations. I called for a late checkout at 10:30am and was given an 11:30am extension. Then received a phone call from the same agent at 11:15am asking if "I was extending my stay". Human error I understand but lack of poise I do not.
Another great amenity of the hotel is the complimentary parking. Parking in a city can be very expensive and this greatly increased the value of the price paid.
All in all I would suggest staying in this hotel as it is truly beautiful.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Polish first
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2014

I have stayed there from the 2st September to the 6th. Downtown was well ..downtown. This hotel made my vacation special . The hotel is unique and has a lot of personality. My room was spacious. The bathroom products were great. The personal staff was really kind and helpful. I really recommend it.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Riverview, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2014

Stopped by the bar and wanted to hear the piano player they had on last visit. Deeply disppointed that he was not playing any more. No one on staff could tell me why they no longer had a piano. It was one of the best reasons to stop by this location. Hopeully, they'll bring him back.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2014

We were very impressed when we entered the hotel. I know how dilapidated it had become over the years and the new owners have done a fantastic job with the renovation, at least as far as the lobby and dining area is concerned. Apparently, there was no money left for the operation of the kitchen. The food was essentially inedible. Every dish went back to the kitchen, virtually untouched, and no one even bothered to say anything to us about it or ask us why we had not enjoyed our meals. Our primary server was very nice. However, the wine steward did not have a clue as to how to open a bottle of champagne. Truly pathetic. We would not come back.

Stayed September 2014
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014 via mobile

I could not believe how beautiful the hotel was. Old world charm. Room was nice. Booked on hotwire...great deal. Unfortunately, owner/manager (not sure) Antonio Marco is extremely rude. Upon checking in I was told the hotel would not be honoring my reservation (my room was paid in full on July 3rd). He felt I needed to pay more money. Well given no choice and backed into a cornor I paid more in cash. Hotwire customer service stepped up and is reimbursing me.....thank you hotwire. My son is attending University of Tampa and this is a good location to the campus. Unfortunately I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Some friends suggested meeting for dinner at the Floridan. While I had heard many people speak highly of the bar there, I was unaware of the restaurant. I left full and pleasantly surprised by the fare.
The restaurant was, unfortunately, dead. I think this is a function of the non-existent marketing on the restaurant. I say unfortunately, because while it made for a quiet evening and made it easy to talk to our dinner guests, you look around and certainly know the economics of keeping a restaurant open. It being a part of the hotel doesn't mean the food has to be as good as it is.

The food on the menu features a lot of Tampa Bay originating food- influences of Greek and Cuban food is seen on the menu, as well as some italian touches. While nothing was overly ornate, the food was all certainly fancier food.

I enjoyed a filet marsala while my wife enjoyed a massive pork chop with some extra Marsala sauce on it. Both came served with freshly prepared vegetables (you could tell they had not been sitting in a steamer). Hers also came with a baked potato that was massive and looked freshly prepared- not shriveled up and sitting in aluminum foil for hours. The Marsala sauce was made with fresh mushrooms and was delicious. All meals come with salad and vegetables, making for an excellent overall value for what you get.

The scenery is amazing, with the beautiful ceiling and ornate chandeliers. I don't know how the rooms are, but the restaurant had made certain it is one we will try again soon.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
St. Petersburg, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I attended a wedding in Tampa and was looking for a place to get ready that was near by my destination and a place to crash after a night of celebrating. I checked their availability on a few sites that show rooms left. After seeing they had several rooms I called and negotiated a price $30 cheaper than they were selling the room for. I wasn't able to get a king room but the two doubles sufficed. The hotel is very classy and I enjoyed the decor. The room was very clean and appeared to be well maintained. I have two small issues the first being that the shower water was not hot enough for my liking. Im not sure if this was because I was on the top floor or not. The other thing was the bed was too firm for me as well. Either was I turned the AC all the way down and slept fairly well. I would have no problem staying here again if the need arises.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Floridan Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!