“Perfect for the night out.” 4 of 5 stars

Floridan Palace Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   905 North Florida Avenue, Tampa, FL   |
Ranked #94 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
St. Petersburg, FL
“Perfect for the night out.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I attended a wedding in Tampa and was looking for a place to get ready that was near by my destination and a place to crash after a night of celebrating. I checked their availability on a few sites that show rooms left. After seeing they had several rooms I called and negotiated a price $30 cheaper than they were selling the room for. I wasn't able to get a king room but the two doubles sufficed. The hotel is very classy and I enjoyed the decor. The room was very clean and appeared to be well maintained. I have two small issues the first being that the shower water was not hot enough for my liking. Im not sure if this was because I was on the top floor or not. The other thing was the bed was too firm for me as well. Either was I turned the AC all the way down and slept fairly well. I would have no problem staying here again if the need arises.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I stayed at the Floridan Palace hotel from July 31st through August 3rd and had a wonderful time! This is an incredible hotel that makes you feel like you are living in the 1920s or 30s. The original Floridan opened in 1926 and closed in 1987. It was purchased in 2005 by the current owners and completely renovated. It reopened in 2012. The renovation was very meticulous. Every effort was made to preserve the original look and feel of the hotel. I was very impressed! My room was very clean, large and comfortable. The bed was a little firm, but I didn't have any problems sleeping. The air conditioner worked very well, and I was impressed by the marble in the bathroom. I ate at the restaurant, and the food was delicious! The Sapphire Bar downstairs is located in the same spot as the original bar. Unfortunately, it is only open on Friday and Saturday nights, but there is a very nice bar in the restaurant upstairs.The hotel staff was very polite and helpful. I especially want to thank Wilson at the front desk for making my stay so enjoyable. He was very polite and happily answered all of my questions. I parked for free in a lot behind the hotel. There is no parking attendant, but there is video surveillance from two cameras across the street. I had no problems with my car. I found out that the owners of the hotel are planning a parking garage in the back of the hotel with a pool. It should be completed by next summer. I will definitely be coming back to the Floridan Hotel!

Room Tip: Suites that end in 01 like 1701 are the best. Very roomy and quiet! A/C is quiet and very cool.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I was a little scared booking this hotel after some of the reviews I read, but the price was right and it was close to our venue. We stayed here for the 2014 Comic Con and it was amazing! If you like the show mad men this is a must stay hotel! Super ornate details, friendly staff, and an all around great atmosphere! The rooms are huge and very nicely decorated. I highly recommend this place if you are staying in Tampa!

Room Tip: The higher the floor number the better! Great views!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Clermont, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This hotel has been completely restored and has a a lot of potential. We went to Tampa for a long weekend and had forgotten how much fun it can be. The location is good for visiting the Tampa Theater where you can take a tour. It is also good for visiting the Henry Plant Museum. There are a few restaurants near by but it is a little dark for walking in the evening.

There were no bell hops and the hotel restaurants were not serving lunch or dinner when we were there. The interior is beautiful and the rooms comfortable. It appeared that there was not enough business to keep some of the ammenities open which is a shame.

The parking is in the lot by the hotel and we did not have to pay which is a good thing in downtown Tampa.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
El Paso
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

The place was nice but I think the company needs to hire a new staff, house keeping coup day speak English, bellman dropped my bag, I couldn't get a hold of house keeping... You get my drift. Don't think I'll be coming back though, my daddy didn't like the atmosphere of the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014
Chagrin Falls
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I made a reservation through Priceline for this property and it was listed as a 3.5 star. When the cab driver laughed and told me it was a one star, I unfortunately found out that was true. I arrived and noticed that the buildings around the hotel had boarded up windows. There was no one outside- it was like a weird ghost town. The parking lot looked like a caged area and it was obviously a sketchy area. I forged ahead and walked in. It was simply awful. It looked like someone had tried to update a dilapidated hotel and ran out of money. I took a look at the room which made me scared I would leave with extra visitors. Avoid this hotel. Priceline for some reason is not open to the reality that this hotel does not qualify as a 3.5 star. I left promptly and got a room at the beautiful Westin only a couple miles away.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you want to pretend you are living out the Shining.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
fort wayne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Stayed here on a flyer and got a good one. If you appreciate nostalgia and old architecture you will love this place. Probably not for the kids but definitely bring your lover. Chandeliers, original front desk, original marble, brass rails, crown molding, rod iron railing, and just an eye full. Story I got was ...built in 1927 and was THE place in tampa. Flop house in the 70s. Rent by the hour in the 80s. Condemned for 10 years with homeless building fires indoor on cold nights. Bought by a family and rebuilt themselves over 6 years. Love this place. But you must have the appreciation for old Americana. Elvis stayed here! At least come to the bar for a drink at 6pm with your lady and get an eye full.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to Floridan Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!