“Could use some work” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #95 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
El Paso
“Could use some work”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

The place was nice but I think the company needs to hire a new staff, house keeping coup day speak English, bellman dropped my bag, I couldn't get a hold of house keeping... You get my drift. Don't think I'll be coming back though, my daddy didn't like the atmosphere of the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
Chagrin Falls
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I made a reservation through Priceline for this property and it was listed as a 3.5 star. When the cab driver laughed and told me it was a one star, I unfortunately found out that was true. I arrived and noticed that the buildings around the hotel had boarded up windows. There was no one outside- it was like a weird ghost town. The parking lot looked like a caged area and it was obviously a sketchy area. I forged ahead and walked in. It was simply awful. It looked like someone had tried to update a dilapidated hotel and ran out of money. I took a look at the room which made me scared I would leave with extra visitors. Avoid this hotel. Priceline for some reason is not open to the reality that this hotel does not qualify as a 3.5 star. I left promptly and got a room at the beautiful Westin only a couple miles away.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you want to pretend you are living out the Shining.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
fort wayne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Stayed here on a flyer and got a good one. If you appreciate nostalgia and old architecture you will love this place. Probably not for the kids but definitely bring your lover. Chandeliers, original front desk, original marble, brass rails, crown molding, rod iron railing, and just an eye full. Story I got was ...built in 1927 and was THE place in tampa. Flop house in the 70s. Rent by the hour in the 80s. Condemned for 10 years with homeless building fires indoor on cold nights. Bought by a family and rebuilt themselves over 6 years. Love this place. But you must have the appreciation for old Americana. Elvis stayed here! At least come to the bar for a drink at 6pm with your lady and get an eye full.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

The Crystal Dining Room at The Floridan is a beautiful venue for a special lunch or dinner. The refinishing of the room to a magnificent sparkle is a treat. The prices are reasonable, service great and food is delicious. At a recent lunch with friends, we remarked that it was like being in The Plaza in NY! The lobby is grand, bars and ballroom look equally special.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Tampa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

I enjoyed a very nice dining experience in the hotel's dining room just off the lobby. The menu is very good in providing many options, and the food was fresh, well prepared, and nicely presented in this grand dining room. I had a fish selection which was very good. And the martini was excellent!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

The warmth of a B&B but the grandeur of a +5 Star luxury hotel. Expertly renovated, but the true attraction is the pleasant, personal service of ALL of the staff....front desk, bartenders, housekeeping, maintenance, etc. Free parking on site just enhances the relaxing, comfortable atmosphere. Only 9 blocks from the convention center and on the edge of the current re-urbanization, this is a place to "bookmark." I have established the Floridan as our preferred corporate lodging. And I found "Kostos" supportive, friendly, patient, and attentive which explains why every single staff member exuded the same caring attitude.

Room Tip: Try to get the mini-suite.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I booked one of the penthouse rooms in February for a birthday party in May for my husband. I told "Kostos” (not sure of the spelling) one of the managers I was having a party. He gave me a tour of the room and I indicated there would be enough room for all of the people with the balcony (hint, hint, it was a party which indicates a group of people and the fact I needed the balcony should have prompted some questions).

The day before the party, this man filled our coolers (notice plural meaning 3 very large coolers) with ice so we could chill all of our beverages. He even took the coolers upstairs to the room, in which I he saw all of the tables, chairs, beverages and party supplies. The day of the event "Kostos" stopped people from coming up to the room because we were over the allowed number of people. I was never told there was a max number. He was rude and belligerent in the middle of the lobby, raised voice and aggressive body language. Several incoming guests heard this exchange. He was not going to allow the birthday boy and our daughter to come upstairs to the room; he finally relented when a male friend intervened (maybe he is a sexist, who feels he can bully women).

Of course this is not the end of my bad management story. Our party started at 4 and we were told everyone had to leave at 6 because this man was still upset that I had a party and had not informed anyone (there were several phone calls to the hotel prior to the party and once again he carried the ice upstairs!). This was a 50 year olds party without music (because heaven forbid there is a radio or television that worked). I was forced to move the party to the Sapphire Room and ended up paying for drinks for 30 people so "Kostos" made money on the penthouse and on my bar tab of $700.

I reminded all of our 30 friends (and 4 other rooms were booked that night by friends) that even though the party was successful they were to never frequent the Floridan or any of its restaurants or bars and this only because of "Kostos". What an opportunity this man had to earn business from a group who had never experienced the Floridan Hotel Palace.

It is sad when you have staff, who were all very accommodating, are managed by this person who does not have the professionalism to lower his voice in the middle of his lobby, the ability to seek information when he was the person who booked the room for my husband's party, and the competence or skill to correct issues with paying guests.

Someone mentioned that maybe it is a cultural difference but I believe it is just bad manners!

Room Tip: Very old hotel which was remodeled a few years ago. Cleaning is adequate. Subpar, A/C works in som...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Floridan Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!